Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #1

New Roof for my 2002 Newmar Dutchstar. Help!

My local RV dealer and High School friend who I trust just told me I need a new roof on my Dutchstar 3852. There are two bad spots on it that cannot be repaired and there is damage underneath the membrane. It is not fiberglass but the other material? He wants to replace with a PVC product. Evidently I bought it with the problem from Camping World in Asheville NC. Buyers beware! Seems that it is not cover by my Good SAMs warranty. I called the general manager "Linda" and she said bring it up and she may could cut the labor rate on the repair. I was told it will be a 7000 repair! Ugh! I would appreciate any guidance on cost of repair or do it yourself ideas. I have 3 sons in college and desperately need advice. Thanking y'all in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

Google Epdm rv roof replacement there are several projects. Also search this forum. I liked the pictures and write up from a couple in Florida. I think it can be done by a skilled DIY but it it is definitely an extensive project especially if you have damage to the sub roof. Good luck an post your pics and how you go about getting it fixed.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The roof is not EPDM, it's BriteTEK and a very different material. It's more like a plastic than rubber. It cannot be repaired with some products made for EPDM roofs. Dicor is the usual supplier, check with them for the correct product and procedure. We've had it on both our 2000 and now 2002 DSDP. It is a very tough product but it can be damaged, just not as easily as EPDM.

Quote:
Combining the benefits of EPDM and TPO (thermoplastic olefin), BriteTEK Roof Membrane provides a watertight roof with superior puncture and tear resistance, making it ideal for OEM and aftermarket applications. BriteTEK passes the ASTM 20-year accelerated aging test and resists uneven weathering and fading. Manufacturers, service centers and RVers will find the membrane easy to install and maintain.
Here's the link to the Dicor/BriteTEK webpage: https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/ro...roof-membrane/
And, you're right, no warranty will cover that type of damage, in fact even some manufacturers won't cover it. Unfortunately it's up to the buyer of a rig to go over it and determine if it's in good shape.
We were looking at a used rig from a private party around '97 - '98. I found roof damage and decided to take a good look. Called the seller and arranged a time and told them I wanted to look specifically at the roof damage to see how much damage there was. When we got there, they had gone to CW and bought sealer and gooped it all over the damaged area. There was now no way to determine how much water damage there was or how far it extended. I looked at it turned around and left. At that point I didn't trust the seller with any of the other info on maintenance etc.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #4

1. Check the areas that need to be repaired.
2. Check the plywood underlayment and see if there is any rot.
3. It is possible to repair the roof with eternabond tape. Just have to clean it real good and cut the 4" tape to fit. check on your browser for "enteabond tape". It is easy to install. Then you would have to use Dicor lap sealer caulking to completely seal the repair.
4. Don't let camping world touch it! They will rob you blind. They should have told you that the roof needed fixing. Not after the sale. See how some of the dealers are? And you trust what they are telling you? DON'T! They are NOT your friend!
5. Find a reputable independent RV shop that will tell you the honest truth.
6. If you don't know what type roof you have, do some checking. Go inside your MH and pull the vent trim off. You will be able to see the membrane from there. Take a small screwdriver and remove a couple of staples. Then look at the rubber membrane. If it is white on both side, it is TPO vinyl. If it is black on one side and white on the other it is EPDM, rubber membrane.
7. Make sure you use the correct self leveling sealer for your type of roof.
8. NEVER clean your roof with mineral spirits or kerosene. Check with Dicor as to what they recommend.

Hope this helps. With a couple of patches you should be able to get at least 3-4 years use out of your roof before having to ever replace it.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKDRAFT161 View Post
6. If you don't know what type roof you have, do some checking. Go inside your MH and pull the vent trim off. You will be able to see the membrane from there. Take a small screwdriver and remove a couple of staples. Then look at the rubber membrane. If it is white on both side, it is TPO vinyl. If it is black on one side and white on the other it is EPDM, rubber membrane.
No need to do this, it is, as I posted earlier, BriteTEK, Newmar started using it on the 2000 model's, and it will have a fleece backing, which is grey or black.
Follow the link that I posted earlier.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #6

Thank you for the advice on the Brite TEK roof material. I agree CW is not my friend. Just frustrated that I was taken advantage of as a newbie. This will be my last purchase from CW. I will write a letter to their corporate HQ and explain that this is not my last RV but will be my only purchase from CW. Also, as a business owner with 5000 clients I will let them all know of being taken advantage of by CW. I was certainly fooled. Thank you all for your prompt input. Wish I would have joined this forum before making the purchase.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Call Newmar for a Newmar dealer near you so they can look at it, unless it was torn some how the roof maybe OK.
I have a 03 and no problems with roof its a BRITE-TEK roof on your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #8

I looked up Brite TEK repair dealers and it is within 3 miles of my home. A bit of good news and I will be calling them in the morning. Thank you again!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #9

The roof was not torn and the repair facility that discovered the damage said it was possibly from the screws not being sealed at the factory? Confused.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A metal strip with screws seals the roof wrap and roof material to side wall and your rear and front caps.

ROOF & SIDEWALL

All Newmars are built the same.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Your dealer/friend does not think areas under the roofing can be repaired. You may have to decide on attempting repairs to prevent further damage or replacing the roof. . (long term plans for the RV?)
Replacing a rubber roof is a major project. As a DIY with no prior experience it would be a challenge... Everything on or attached to the roof has to be removed and re-installed. Air Conditioners, vents, ladder, awnings, antennas etc. Any damaged plywood needs to be cut out and replaced to provide a smooth level surface.
It's not a quick process, for some period the roof is going to be open and will need protection from the weather..This video may give you and idea of whats involved:
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #12

The more I research the realization of DIY is not within my capabilities. Looking at the roof you cannot see any tears or hole etc... There appears to be damage in two places. Other than the roof issue I love the rig and want to keep it for several years . We eventually want to upgrade to an Essex or Country Coach Magna or Intrigue but that is 10 years in the future as we also have three teenage daughters in addition to the 3 sons in college.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
I had to replace my Bounder's roof last winter due to damage from a railroad crossing arm. Replaced original tpo roof with Brite-tek, took 5 full days and $5550. Good job by CJ's, Yuma AZ. Good luck!
Jack H
Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Your dealer/friend does not think areas under the roofing can be repaired. You may have to decide on attempting repairs to prevent further damage or replacing the roof. . (long term plans for the RV?)
Replacing a rubber roof is a major project. As a DIY with no prior experience it would be a challenge... Everything on or attached to the roof has to be removed and re-installed. Air Conditioners, vents, ladder, awnings, antennas etc. Any damaged plywood needs to be cut out and replaced to provide a smooth level surface.
It's not a quick process, for some period the roof is going to be open and will need protection from the weather..This video may give you and idea of whats involved:
That MH is almost identical to mine in the video. I hope I don't have to do this for another 10-15 years...!

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Golf cart | Air gauge going crazy 2000 Dutchstar »