Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #1

New RV Import into Canada-CSA Compliance?

Earlier in 2012 I had been talking with a local RV sales fellow about a Class C. Since that time my wife and I decided that we'd rather go with a new Thor ACE and purchase it in the States due to the price. I dropped by his lot the other day on an unrelated matter and I bumped into him. I was very candid telling him of our plans etc.

He called today to give me an FYI that something new was about to take place whereby if a Canadian goes to the States and buys a new RV it would have to be inspected upon their return to Canada for total CSA compliance. This is beyond the usual CDN Tire inspection and fitting of daytime running lights etc.

He said that this was new information and he would try and find the letter that had been sent to the RV dealers.

Now I have read something about the CSA thing in the past but it wasn't a deal breaker. It sounds like this, if accurate, is a dealer initiative to further frustrate Canadians from buying new in the States and bringing them back.

Clearly has nothing to do with safety as I don't recall seeing any signs for northbound traffic at the border cautioning American RV'ers that their RVs may blow up when plugged into a Canadian electrical outlet or filled with Canadian propane. I'm also pretty confident that their RV's get serviced when needed on their holidays while in Canada despite not being CSA approved.

Anyone have anymore info or comments on this? I couldn't find anything on the RIV.CA site about it.

Thanks...

Ron
volvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I could not find anything new on this. It seems as long as it has the manufacture's original compliance sticker, no other inspections are needed.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
If there's nothing on the website I would suggest its a dealers attempt to scare you from heading south to get your rv.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #4

I suspect you're right. I haven't been able to find anything regulatory about the CSA other than a Cdn service center 'may' refuse to work on it if the CSA or QAI sticker is not there.

The only other thing the nay sayers mention is that while you may be able to import it make sure your insurance company will cover it.

Some of the stuff I came across while researching this is laughable. One Cdn dealer stated that many RV parks are refusing those units who don't possess CSA stickers. Huh?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
I could not find anything new on this. It seems as long as it has the manufacture's original compliance sticker, no other inspections are needed.
When we prepared our coach for repaint three years ago, this sticker was dried up dust, and disappeared. I took a picture of it before it disappeared. I assume this could be a problem whenever I may want to sell the coach. What can I do about it?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
jimkate, that's why I took the picture of my sticker, in case it "weathers off"
someday. I don't know how one could get a replacement.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #7

Transport Canada has a list of vehicles that can be imported to Canada from the US. This includes RV's. If the vehicle is on the list it can be imported, of not it can't.

There is a company contracted by the government to facillitate the importation process. This company is called "Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV). The web site is "riv.ca".

Anyone wishing to import a vehicle from the US to Canada MUST follow the procedures provided on the web site.

The procedure is straight forward and simple, just read and follow the steps provided and all will be fine.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Transport Canada has a list of vehicles that can be imported to Canada from the US. This includes RV's. If the vehicle is on the list it can be imported, of not it can't.

There is a company contracted by the government to facillitate the importation process. This company is called "Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV). The web site is "riv.ca".

Anyone wishing to import a vehicle from the US to Canada MUST follow the procedures provided on the web site.

The procedure is straight forward and simple, just read and follow the steps provided and all will be fine.
Oops. This got away from me before I finished. The OP is obviously familiar with RIV and indicated some Canadian dealer passing info not provoded on the site. I suggest all rumors should be dismissed as just that. If anyone is in doubt about a specific issue, a simple phone call to RIV will sort that out.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #9

If you are buying new from dealer this is easy.

Make registration in canada part of the deal.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
importing

I've bought and imported several vehicles(although no RV) in the states and brought them back home. The folks at RIV are very helpful and will steer you right.

Something I did learn over the years is that if a vehicle's S/N starts with the number 1, 2 or 3, it means it was manufactured in either Mexico, USA or Canada. As such it is under NAFTA and a piece of cake to import.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #11

I believe that most manufacturers offer csa certification (the sticker) as an option. That's what we did. Also be aware that the Canadian list of vehicles that can be imported might not list the name you would ecpect. When importing ours Entegra was not on the list. The manufacturer however lists Entegra as Jscyo for importation purpoees. Jayco is the parent company and that was fine. Importation was one of the smoothest and non stressful processes we ever went through. Canadian and US customs were very helpful with pre importation advice. Also as previously suggested ensure your dealer is familiar with the process and agrees to provide you all required paperwork and as well have dealer email documents to US border where you are crossing at least 2 days in advance, Sorry for getting off topic.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
The CSA compliance is a requirement for RV dealers in Canada to sell new mhs. It is not required for any motorhomes imported from the US.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #13

Any idea who does the inspection and issues the sticker? Is it done at the US factory for Cdn dealers or do they come in without them and the dealers do the test and apply the sticker......
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
From what I've been able to tell the CSA compliance is a factory option and involves differences with electrical, plumbing and appliances and is not a trivial retrofit. I'm not sure what the exact differences are but I believe it's things like the maximum number of 120V plugs on a circuit and maximum amperage of the breakers and some of the materials for plumbing, etc.

e.g. I suspect that it probably doesn't apply to all manufacturers but I know that with some coaches, you cannot get HydroHot on the CSA units.

-- update --

It doesn't give much info but this article mentions appliances, plumbing, propane system and electrical: http://www.rvlifemag.com/file336/rvtip336.html
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote