Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #15

I am not sure but I believe that your inverter needs to be on in order to charge the batteries. Make sure your inverter is on and let the batteries charge overnight. If they do not charge then have your inverter checked before spending more money on more batteries.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by US RV As-is View Post
I went out again this morning and saw the inverter was turned off again. I turned it back on and the meter says my batteries are at 11.75v. i m only running the house fridge and the mini fridge outside. Why cant this system hold up two simple fridges. The batteries to me, think it should not be dying so fast. so at the end of the day what do I need to prevent batteries from dying over night and ensuring i have enough power through out the night so my batteries don't die. Do I need more solar, more batteries, etc?????
Two refrigerators require more solar then you have.

If you expect to leave them on full time, your looking at 800 to 1000 watts of solar. Add 800 to 1000 AH of battery capacity for cloudy days and only use it in the summer.

Of course just plugging it, driving it, or running the generator in will keep things working.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #17

Sounds like your 120v battery charger is not working when plugged in to the house or generator.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #18

because they are cheap and said the 6v batteries are more expensive. i tried to explain it to them but it was this or nothing.
US RV As-is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #19

Sorry for the delay folks... I hate when people start a post and leaves us all hanging on what happened. Well this is what happened. the jack ass at Giant RV in colton did not hook up the negative wire to the battery... My batteries are humming now with good charges. ALSO, being a prior '94 owner, I did not know these new rigs have a 30amp plug in them that you need to plug into in order to have the generator run the house. I was wondering why the jenny was not charging the batteries either... LOL.. My fault on that one because i did not know it needed to be plugged in. In my old rig it automatically switched over...
Old 12-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #20

Winnebago sure does things different. The Tuscany is fully automatic other than you do have to push the button for the charger or inverter if you have been completely shut down as if in storage. Interesting but sure glad you are going now. Things like you had happen seem to be way more common now that some folks just don't have pride in their workmen ship and don't go back and check or give it a once over. Enjoy the new rig.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #21

Thank you

Sorry for the delay response. It turned out when the dealer installed the extra 2 batteries, they forgot to reconnect one of the negative cables. so none of the batteries were charging. Silly people at the dealership
Old 08-27-2019, 03:52 AM   #22
RV LIFE Support Team

You should have an auto-transfer when plugged in, not plug in the generator manually. Look in your manual.

I would stop using that dealer.

We have a rsidential refrig like you. Have no problems with 4 12v AGM batteries and 4 165w solar panels. We use about 20% of our battery capacity overnight. SOC starts in the low 90s and drops to the low 70s. Very happy with this set up. Rarelyneed to run the generator when boondocking.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
You should have an auto-transfer when plugged in, not plug in the generator manually. Look in your manual.

I would stop using that dealer.

We have a rsidential refrig like you. Have no problems with 4 12v AGM batteries and 4 165w solar panels. We use about 20% of our battery capacity overnight. SOC starts in the low 90s and drops to the low 70s. Very happy with this set up. Rarelyneed to run the generator when boondocking.
Some rigs do in fact have to be plugged in an out as they do not have a transfer switch.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post

You can use either 6v or 12v deep cycle batteries to power your house systems, however 6v GC2 golf cart batteries will endure many more discharge cycles. I've had Trojan T105 golf cart batteries last 10 years.

10 Years is very impressive, in the heat here I have trouble making ANY of my batteries last more than 5 years and many don't even make that.

Next time I will giving those golf cart batteries a try! Thanks
Azee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #25
RV LIFE Support Team

Some of the secrets to long battery life are: don't discharge below 50% SOC, make sure charged to 100% SOC once a week, if not AGM or Lithium check water frequently.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 08-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
They put in four 12v house batteries? Why didn't they put in four 6v deep cycle house batteries like other RVs, especially with solar? That was stupid, makes no sense.
Just to be clear, pure deep cycle, golf cart batteries included, come in 6v, 8v, and 12v for the most common voltages. Also, many coaches like mine, came with four 12v AGM's and what I always recommend and running now, regardless of the extra costs. This for longevity and for being maintenance free.
Now, possibly going with all max sizes, one might be able to get a little more capacity with 6v batteries in a series/parallel combination, but nothing significant for normal boondocking. One should remember that two six volt batteries, connected in series is nothing more than a large 12volt battery. True, it's a big one, but now you have just two 12's, compared to four, so.............
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #27
RV LIFE Support Team

When we picked up our MH we had 4 12v deep cycle batteries. In the past(don;t know about now) 12v was the std battery supplied no matter what the rig.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 08-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #28

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by US RV As-is View Post
Sorry for the delay folks... I hate when people start a post and leaves us all hanging on what happened. Well this is what happened. the jack ass at Giant RV in colton did not hook up the negative wire to the battery... My batteries are humming now with good charges. ALSO, being a prior '94 owner, I did not know these new rigs have a 30amp plug in them that you need to plug into in order to have the generator run the house. I was wondering why the jenny was not charging the batteries either... LOL.. My fault on that one because i did not know it needed to be plugged in. In my old rig it automatically switched over...
Manual plug in for the genset is nothing new and some of the better old coaches had this. It did eliminate the transfer sw. and just for something else to go bad. ONly thing is, if you're wanting your genset to do scheduled starts, low battery starts and auto starts for whenever your shore power, might go out, because you leave your pets or other behind, then manually having to plug in the genset doesn't get it. Otherwise, it's probably the best and since you have to put the cord away anyway, it's no problem plugging it in to the genset.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr