Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #15

Being that I purchased my MH the same way, hopefully I can add some good input.

We flew to FL and drove ours home last August - 1600+ miles to upstate NY (including 1 or 2 sightseeing detours). As previously mentioned, the mechanical basics are crucial - Tires / Oil Change & Filter / Fuel Filter & Water Separator / Air Filter / Suspension / Lights / Fluid Levels. If need be, plan on visiting a mechanic to avoid on the road surprises. The cost and piece-of-mind will outweigh the headaches of being stuck someplace.

Tools - I took an entire tool kit with me on the plane. I priced shipping it ahead through UPS - Actually would have cost me more than the extra fee that the airline charged for the suitcase that I took with me (Filled it to the max limit of 50lbs). Socket Set / Screwdrivers / Wrenches / Multi-meter....

Have a thorough walk through provided by the seller - Fully operate all slides / jacks / appliances. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, even if it may seem to be dumb - The only bad question is the unasked one.

We spent two nights at a campground in the area prior to heading home. 1 day to familiarize myself with the MH, 1 day to do some sightseeing. Purchased bedding / food / household supplies at Walmart - Make a list as you go along to cover what you think you might need.

Trip home - 3 days - Could have made it in 2 long ones. Made 1 planned side trip and 1 spur of the moment decision (Routed over to Altoona, PA to watch some trains at Horseshoe Curve). Had route pre-planned including overnights and food / fuel stops. Other than staying on I-95, the original plans went out the window. The internet is great for gathering info on the road - Be flexible for schedule changes.

Kids - Did my trip with my 15yr old daughter as copilot. Even 15 yr olds get bored easily on the road, even with their electronic gadgets. Keep the kids in mind as you prepare for the trip and on your way home.

Hope I added some insight for your upcoming adventure - Congratulations and here's to years of enjoyment and memories with your MH!!!!!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfi4 View Post
Being that I purchased my MH the same way, hopefully I can add some good input.

We flew to FL and drove ours home last August - 1600+ miles to upstate NY (including 1 or 2 sightseeing detours). As previously mentioned, the mechanical basics are crucial - Tires / Oil Change & Filter / Fuel Filter & Water Separator / Air Filter / Suspension / Lights / Fluid Levels. If need be, plan on visiting a mechanic to avoid on the road surprises. The cost and piece-of-mind will outweigh the headaches of being stuck someplace.

Tools - I took an entire tool kit with me on the plane. I priced shipping it ahead through UPS - Actually would have cost me more than the extra fee that the airline charged for the suitcase that I took with me (Filled it to the max limit of 50lbs). Socket Set / Screwdrivers / Wrenches / Multi-meter....

Have a thorough walk through provided by the seller - Fully operate all slides / jacks / appliances. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, even if it may seem to be dumb - The only bad question is the unasked one.

We spent two nights at a campground in the area prior to heading home. 1 day to familiarize myself with the MH, 1 day to do some sightseeing. Purchased bedding / food / household supplies at Walmart - Make a list as you go along to cover what you think you might need.

Trip home - 3 days - Could have made it in 2 long ones. Made 1 planned side trip and 1 spur of the moment decision (Routed over to Altoona, PA to watch some trains at Horseshoe Curve). Had route pre-planned including overnights and food / fuel stops. Other than staying on I-95, the original plans went out the window. The internet is great for gathering info on the road - Be flexible for schedule changes.

Kids - Did my trip with my 15yr old daughter as copilot. Even 15 yr olds get bored easily on the road, even with their electronic gadgets. Keep the kids in mind as you prepare for the trip and on your way home.

Hope I added some insight for your upcoming adventure - Congratulations and here's to years of enjoyment and memories with your MH!!!!!!!!!
That's excellent input. Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new moho, too!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Do all of the above stuff. Check the weather if you are going west think about a southern route if you go through the mountains there will be snow and ice on parts of the passes. If the weather turns to crap pull over crank up the heat and sit out the storm close to support (stores etc.) Have fun be safe.