Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2017, 12:14 AM   #1

New RV Purchase

We have decided to move into an RV around the first of the year when I retire. We have been looking, mostly online and some in person, at DP coaches for several months now and have found 2 that we like: 2018 Tiffin Allegro Red 37PA and 2017 Entegra Insignia 44B. While I love the floor plan of the Entegra, since this is our first ever MH, I'm concerned about the length and ease of driving. Also a little concerned at some of the recent quality problems with Entegra. Both coaches are new and we know to expect more issues for the first few years.

As full-timers, do you think the additional space is something we should consider? And, what do you think of both coaches/companies? We appreciate any advice you may have.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolK55 View Post
We have decided to move into an RV around the first of the year when I retire. We have been looking, mostly online and some in person, at DP coaches for several months now and have found 2 that we like: 2018 Tiffin Allegro Red 37PA and 2017 Entegra Insignia 44B. While I love the floor plan of the Entegra, since this is our first ever MH, I'm concerned about the length and ease of driving. Also a little concerned at some of the recent quality problems with Entegra. Both coaches are new and we know to expect more issues for the first few years.

As full-timers, do you think the additional space is something we should consider? And, what do you think of both coaches/companies? We appreciate any advice you may have.
I'll make a few points just from my perspective3...
1) If I was buying a DP, I would want a side radiator for sure —for ease of maintenance reasons alone—and the Entegra has that. Not sure about the RED.

2) Going FT, storage capacity will be a big issue too so don't just assume because it's a big coach it can carry a lot of stuff/gear/weight. There are many posts on this forum of very disappointed buyers that found out after their DP purchase that they didn't have enough CCC. I don't know much about either of these 2 choices in that regard but keep that in mind when looking.

3) I think any MH with a tag axle and that longer chassis length folks are going to say it will drive like a dream. I know you said, "I'm concerned about the length and ease of driving" but I think you'll adapt easier than you think with either one.

4) Don't know how you plan to travel, or how you like to "Glamp" but in some areas 44' could be a problem even getting into some places. For just one example, Federal & state parks. Those areas have very few large spaces period. The RED would have more accessibility overall.

5) I believe you'll probably need at least a Class B license for either.

6) Also consider insurance. Since it's new—for the first 3 years—you'll probably want full replacement and that in itself will be a pretty hefty annual expense.

7) As far as living space, some say more is better. We have 35' MH with a 1.5 baths, and find it fine for the 2 of us. I do wish we had a king bed but the queen is sufficient. I'm 6'3" and do fine in our MH.

8) As far as the quality of both companies & their products, I've read both good and bad about both—like everything else—but I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

9) Be sure that all manuals are on board before you drive out and tell your salesman you want 4 complete sets of keys. 1 for you, 1 for wife, 1 set to hide somewhere under the chassis for emergencies and 1 set to keep in safety deposit box. They're very hard to come by after sale.

10) If you consider buying slightly used—like a couple of years old, you could save some serious coin and have a lot of warranty/recall issues already taken care of.

FWIW...if the money was the same for both, and the way my wife & I "Glamp" we would probably go with the RED—IF—it came with a side rad.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:29 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum! Your questions will elicit many and varied responses.

Am I correct in assuming that you have never owned a MH previously? To go from no MH (or any large RV) to full-timing in a large MH is a huge jump. I suggest you rent the biggest MH you can and try it for a week. The DW and I have owned 2 RV's prior to the Dutch Star we now own and have taken trips anywhere from one week to our current 2 + months. My DW is getting weary of being on the road so long (in her estimation) and there are times when I now tire of driving (DW will not drive and I knew that going in). We are in our late 60's.

At first, I was looking for a 36' DP but found that going to a 40' was not a big deal handling-wise and you get much more livable space and room to store more junk (er, I mean essentials). I think it handles better in the wind, but that may be just because I added the Safe-T-Steer. Purely anecdotal, I realize.

As to brand, Entegra and Tiffin are both quality coaches, IMHO. I would encourage you to also look at Newmar, but I hear that the newer Ventanas have slide out issues. Speaking of which, I would stay away from "full wall" slide outs. Many problems reported in all brands.

Best general advice I can give is to take your time and realize that there is no one best answer. All MH's are "rolling houses on wheels" and there will be issues. This is not like owning a car. Oh, one last bit - keep back a cash emergency repair fund.

Best of luck and let us know how its going.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Difficult to compare a 37 footer with a 44 footer, and an entry level diesel (the Red) with a higher end coach like the Entegra. I'm not knocking the Red, but the comparison is not exactly fair either.

Is there nothing you like in-between? Maybe 40 ft? Each increment in length constrains your choice of campsites somewhat more, adds a bit to the caution needed on lesser roads, etc. The 44 footer isn't unmanageable, but it is still 7 ft longer. On the other hand, the additional interior room is fabulous. And the Entegra is a more upscale rig as well.

I do think you will appreciate the extra space of the larger coach, for both living area and additional storage in & out. We found a substantial difference when we changed from 36 ft to 40. For one thing, a washer/dryer is more practical in the larger rigs, and more cabinet and closet space as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Welcome to the forum! Your questions will elicit many and varied responses.

Am I correct in assuming that you have never owned a MH previously? To go from no MH (or any large RV) to full-timing in a large MH is a huge jump. I suggest you rent the biggest MH you can and try it for a week. The DW and I have owned 2 RV's prior to the Dutch Star we now own and have taken trips anywhere from one week to our current 2 + months. My DW is getting weary of being on the road so long (in her estimation) and there are times when I now tire of driving (DW will not drive and I knew that going in). We are in our late 60's.

At first, I was looking for a 36' DP but found that going to a 40' was not a big deal handling-wise and you get much more livable space and room to store more junk (er, I mean essentials). I think it handles better in the wind, but that may be just because I added the Safe-T-Steer. Purely anecdotal, I realize.

As to brand, Entegra and Tiffin are both quality coaches, IMHO. I would encourage you to also look at Newmar, but I hear that the newer Ventanas have slide out issues. Speaking of which, I would stay away from "full wall" slide outs. Many problems reported in all brands.

Best general advice I can give is to take your time and realize that there is no one best answer. All MH's are "rolling houses on wheels" and there will be issues. This is not like owning a car. Oh, one last bit - keep back a cash emergency repair fund.

Best of luck and let us know how its going.

Thanks for the info, Sandy! I will be 62 this year when I retire and my hubby is 59 and has been retired for 8 years or so. We know we would like to be on the road seeing all the parks and places we haven't had time to see with my demanding work schedule all these years. We sold our home a couple years back and moved to an apartment in preparation for retiring and hitting the road. At some point, we may find a place that we like and want to settle in, but for now, we're not sure where that place is. I do plan to be able to drive basically for safety reasons, but love to drive and may do more of it that I think! We recently took a week to drive from Texas to New Mexico and Colorado and had such a great time that we know we will love the travel. Dealing with issues will just be part of that (I do a LOT of that in my job already).
Old 08-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I'll make a few points just from my perspective3...
1) If I was buying a DP, I would want a side radiator for sure —for ease of maintenance reasons alone—and the Entegra has that. Not sure about the RED.

2) Going FT, storage capacity will be a big issue too so don't just assume because it's a big coach it can carry a lot of stuff/gear/weight. There are many posts on this forum of very disappointed buyers that found out after their DP purchase that they didn't have enough CCC. I don't know much about either of these 2 choices in that regard but keep that in mind when looking.

3) I think any MH with a tag axle and that longer chassis length folks are going to say it will drive like a dream. I know you said, "I'm concerned about the length and ease of driving" but I think you'll adapt easier than you think with either one.

4) Don't know how you plan to travel, or how you like to "Glamp" but in some areas 44' could be a problem even getting into some places. For just one example, Federal & state parks. Those areas have very few large spaces period. The RED would have more accessibility overall.

5) I believe you'll probably need at least a Class B license for either.

6) Also consider insurance. Since it's new—for the first 3 years—you'll probably want full replacement and that in itself will be a pretty hefty annual expense.

7) As far as living space, some say more is better. We have 35' MH with a 1.5 baths, and find it fine for the 2 of us. I do wish we had a king bed but the queen is sufficient. I'm 6'3" and do fine in our MH.

8) As far as the quality of both companies & their products, I've read both good and bad about both—like everything else—but I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

9) Be sure that all manuals are on board before you drive out and tell your salesman you want 4 complete sets of keys. 1 for you, 1 for wife, 1 set to hide somewhere under the chassis for emergencies and 1 set to keep in safety deposit box. They're very hard to come by after sale.

10) If you consider buying slightly used—like a couple of years old, you could save some serious coin and have a lot of warranty/recall issues already taken care of.

FWIW...if the money was the same for both, and the way my wife & I "Glamp" we would probably go with the RED—IF—it came with a side rad.

May I ask what motorhome you have? I will definitely look out for the side radiator! Thanks so much!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Difficult to compare a 37 footer with a 44 footer, and an entry level diesel (the Red) with a higher end coach like the Entegra. I'm not knocking the Red, but the comparison is not exactly fair either.

Is there nothing you like in-between? Maybe 40 ft? Each increment in length constrains your choice of campsites somewhat more, adds a bit to the caution needed on lesser roads, etc. The 44 footer isn't unmanageable, but it is still 7 ft longer. On the other hand, the additional interior room is fabulous. And the Entegra is a more upscale rig as well.

I do think you will appreciate the extra space of the larger coach, for both living area and additional storage in & out. We found a substantial difference when we changed from 36 ft to 40. For one thing, a washer/dryer is more practical in the larger rigs, and more cabinet and closet space as well.

The only floor plans we've seen in 40ft that we liked were the Thor Aria 3901 and the Fleetwood Discovery LXE. Neither had the fit and finish of the Tiffin or Entegra Coaches or the brand reputation for service that these companies have. Any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolK55 View Post
May I ask what motorhome you have? I will definitely look out for the side radiator! Thanks so much!
It's in my signature.

2012 WGO Vista 35F
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #9

We have had 2 Entegras a 13 Aspire DEQ (bought at Hershey show when we wanted something to do for the weekend) and a 16 Anthem 44B. We have loved both but the 44B is better for us due to the extra half bath and slightly more storage under the coach. The 2year warranty has been great an we have had few issues and they have been handled in a first class way. The tag and side radiator is the way to go and you will be handling the coach with no issues in a short time. Try to get some training or at least watch all the videos you can and remember no right hand turns until your butt is past the corner. We have towed a 08 CRV and a 13 Lincoln MKX. Be sure and have a charge line installed so you will have no battery issues with your toad. The lifestyle is just a lot of fun and we have met people that have become lifetime friends. Be careful where you buy NIRVC has a great reputation but we had a good experience with RV One on both coaches (Call Robin in Orlando or Angie in Texas). Both of these folks are well versed and don't forget to consider a used unit as they can be a pretty good deal. Best of luck and hope to see you on the road. Be sure and join FMCA as you may need their travel assist as we did last year - saved a bunch of money and a lot of stress for us.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Before You commit to any upscale coach... For comparison's sake , drive 1 or 2 bottom price point coaches, then several different brand mid to upper price point coaches, and finally drive several mfg's "Top Dawg" coaches (even slightly used ones that fit your price range)IE: Prevost/Newell/Country Coach/Marathon/Foretravel.
This is just so you can compare Apples to Apples from one end of the spectrum to the other. The more you know what is available the more of an informed choice you will make.
Then Find what you like the best in each coach and combine that with what your finances are... Then go find your dream "forever" coach
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Before You commit to any upscale coach... For comparison's sake , drive 1 or 2 bottom price point coaches, then several different brand mid to upper price point coaches, and finally drive several mfg's "Top Dawg" coaches (even slightly used ones that fit your price range)IE: Prevost/Newell/Country Coach/Marathon/Foretravel.
This is just so you can compare Apples to Apples from one end of the spectrum to the other. The more you know what is available the more of an informed choice you will make.
Then Find what you like the best in each coach and combine that with what your finances are... Then go find your dream "forever" coach

Excellent idea! We plan to do that in a few weeks. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you like the floorplan of the Tiffin RED 37PA then a better comparison to the Entegra would be the Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP. It's the same floorplan but with a bigger engine (ISL 450 to ISB 6.L), independent front suspension, Aqua Hot and many other options.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase