Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

New RV Questions

Just purchased my first RV today, a 1997 National Sea Breeze. Its on a Ford Chassis with the 460 V8. I purchased from the original owners, who have all of the maintenance records and receipts, owners manuals etc. Has the Banks kit on the motor with the headers and exhaust. About 44k miles.

My question is regarding the roof. With these older RVs that have "rubber" roofs, is there any annual maintenance required? I climbed up there and couldn't find any evidence of damage, and inside the coach there are no indications of leaks from the roof or windows.

Should the windows and roof be sealed at specific intervals?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
My travel trailer had a "rubber" roof, EPDM, and I would wash it annually with a car wash brush, Murphy Oil Soap and rince it off. I'm sure others will volunteer what they do.

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 1997 Georgie Boy Maverick Class C with a rubber roof. The owners manual suggested to wash it with dry powder spic and span, rinse good, let dry and then use armor all to help protect the roof. I sold the Class C in 2009 and know the people who currently own and as far as I know still in good shape.

The most important part is to make sure the seals are good at any opening. I would check the caulk around the vent etc and if I saw any cracks I'd repair. The make a self leveling type that works pretty well. It is applied using a caulk gun.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to iRV!

Looks like you are already asking questions and getting answers.

I would also check out the seals around the windows. They do dry out and crack and then leak. If you MH has been inside a barn most of its life, it is different than if left out in the elements. Covering during the winter also prolongs seals and rubber life.

Be sure to check out the date codes on all of the tires. Even if they look good, if the date codes are 8 years or more, you may want to consider putting new tires in your budget.

Good luck and happy travels!
Old 07-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #5

Yes, a rubber roof needs regular maintenance. At least twice a year inspect roof seals for cracking and reseal using correct product. avoid parking under trees to keep sap off roof. wash as often as needed using original dawn dish soap. these things are recommended by rv experts.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #6

So you guys don't think I should preemptively recoat it with some of that roof sealant/coating stuff?
Old 07-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
So you guys don't think I should preemptively recoat it with some of that roof sealant/coating stuff?

Personally, I would not re-coat the entire roof if it's in good shape. As others have said, check the caulking around all the openings and re-seal as necessary. I would use the Dicor 502LSW self-leveling sealant. You can put it on right over the old sealant, but be sure to clean the old stuff good with mineral spirits before applying.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
Just purchased my first RV today, a 1997 National Sea Breeze. Its on a Ford Chassis with the 460 V8. I purchased from the original owners, who have all of the maintenance records and receipts, owners manuals etc. Has the Banks kit on the motor with the headers and exhaust. About 44k miles.
Congrats on your purchase! We purchased our first motor coach last November, 1998 33' Sea Breeze. Quality coaches were what they built. My EPDM roof is in a worn state and i plan on coating it with the liquid rubber product this fall. Mine does not leak but the white coating is splotchy. Sounds like yous is in good shape. Just keep it clean maybe some protectant 1-2 times per year and covered.