Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
new sewer hose

I am getting ready to replace the old sewer hose ( the stinky slinky).
Two hose systems have caught my eye . One is the Thetford Smart Drain
and the other is the Drainmaster . Sewer Hose Systems | Drain Master
Has anyone used either of these hose products or have an opinion on quality and longevity ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #2

I have not used either of the ones you name. But I have used numerous other brands. I'm currently using Blue Line with the push on connections and these are the best I've had so far. I've had these for 4 years now and no problems so far.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a big fan of the Rhinoflex hoses. Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose Kit - Walmart.com

I just looked at the reviews. I think all the bad ones are cases where they did not tighten the fittings properly. It's a little counter-intuitive, but I think the instructions are correct. You just have to follow the instructions.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #4

I would be interested too. I've watched the videos on the Drain Master, their hose and electric valves, but have not actually met anyone who has used one.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many states require stinky slinky's to be kept off the ground on ladders because rock abrasion causes leaks. Rhino flex is one of the most durable hoses and I keep one for emergency. I prefer to use the Clean Dump macerator system. There are portable and permanent systems. It can pump waste 25 feet uphill thru its 1 inch (not 3/4") hose.
Just another option.

Clean Dump RV Macerator system Installation Video - YouTube
Old 04-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like my Rhinoflex and just let gravity do it's job, unattended. Leave your grey water valve open and dump your black tank just before it fills up.

Not picking on you DD, but I don't understand why folks use a macerator while parked in a place with a 4" hole in the ground just feet from their sewer connection. Long distances or uphill, yes. And I presume you still need to use the slinky to flush the black tank. If not, I can only imagine the condition of the tank after a few years. And you still have a hose to flush and store. And hope that you don't ever have to take the pump apart to remove an unmentionable. I'm not seeing the advantage.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #7

^^^^Due to where I park the RV, I have to push the waste uphill about 5 inches over 10 feet. Works for me.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm in Doggy Daddys camp. I have had a macerator system for a few years on the MoHo
and never experienced any problem till last month coming home. The pump froze in 14 deg weather in the almost unheated wet bay. Things went from bad to worse as I then discovered that some of the parts from my backup Blue-line hose was missing. I did have the " free gift" sewer hose the dealer supplied when coach was purchased . After a little jockeying around I got near enough to the 3 in sewer hole to make a successful dump . All that having been said , since things are taken apart I thought I might try one of the other hose systems that have a supposedly better clamp method. The Rhino Flex does get mentioned by many as a quality product but I think I like the concept of the Waste Master .
All opinions welcome
Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I like my Rhinoflex and just let gravity do it's job, unattended. Leave your grey water valve open and dump your black tank just before it fills up.

Not picking on you DD, but I don't understand why folks use a macerator while parked in a place with a 4" hole in the ground just feet from their sewer connection. Long distances or uphill, yes. And I presume you still need to use the slinky to flush the black tank. If not, I can only imagine the condition of the tank after a few years. And you still have a hose to flush and store. And hope that you don't ever have to take the pump apart to remove an unmentionable. I'm not seeing the advantage.
X2 Ole.....I've never been in any park (state parks included) where the sewer drain is higher than drain on the coach? I'm like the K.I.S.S. method. Just remember.....drain black first then grey!!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I just looked at the Drainmaster and saw it was $157! And it doesn't guarantee that it won't stink! I can buy quite a few Rhinoflex hoses for that amount as I need to replace them. I have a Sewer Solution bought new on Ebay for less than half price, that allows me to dump at home, extended distance and uphill a bit. Regular Rhinoflex on the road. You have to pay attention to making sure all the 'lugs' are captured at hook up (don't ask how I know) but it works fine and doesn't leak, don't see how $157 hose would work better. JMHO

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've got the macerator pump and the Rhino Flex. I much prefer the Rhino, way faster. When at full hook ups I'm able to leave grey open all the time and dump black every 3 -4 days. One of the pluses is that our toilets are macerator type, minimal solids
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #12

Phranc,
I've got a Drainmaster hose setup -- the Polychute. Drainmaster also sells a sewer hose setup that uses connections like fire trucks use.

Yes, it's pricey, but quite a "Cadillac" sewer hose system in my opinion. Nice to be able to close the dump end with the shut off handle and has a nice cap that goes over the inlet end. Also has the 4" clear section at the inlet end to tell when the water is clear or stopped running.

My only complaint would be the Sterlite container they provide. It's a bit too small. I just got a bigger one from Wally World.

Of course, Rhinoflex, Blueline, etc. all work well too.

Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
X2 Ole.....I've never been in any park (state parks included) where the sewer drain is higher than drain on the coach? I'm like the K.I.S.S. method. Just remember.....drain black first then grey!!
Happened to me once where in a KOA of all places, they put the sewer drain on a hill upward from the RV pad. The hose would go down to ground level and then have to flow upward. Only way around it was to support the hose off the ground.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #14

I have had the drainmaster hose for over a year now. The camlock lever system is vastly superior to the bayonet twist to lock common on most sewer hoses. The hose itself is very heavy duty and there is a built-in clear section to check flow. I was familiar with the pull two levers to lock, camlock system, as it is used by the military for 900 gallon stainless steel SIXCON fuel and water tanks. I justified the high cost, as a full timer, because I believe it will never require replacement and it is very easy to use.