Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
As long as a person knows they got the right shocks and they fit we are good. I called Source Engineering and they also had ones they have had engineered specifically for my coach. I just couldn't see how the magazine could analyze all the different Bilstiens out there and the consumer know for sure which ones were actually tested. Maybe I'm a little narcissistic and I am always suspicious but I think when we are spending the big bucks for shocks I doubt that any of us could tell much difference in the ride differences. It's all perception and opinion as well as expectations. Any good shocks are better than original.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Concur with "It's all perception and opinion as well as expectations" At around 40,000 miles I replaced my OEM Freightliner Sachs shocks for Bilsteins (what Freightliner used to use). Really couldn't tell any difference. Truth be told, if I still have the motorhome and it comes time for new shocks, I will probably go back to Sachs.

stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Concur with "It's all perception and opinion as well as expectations" At around 40,000 miles I replaced my OEM Freightliner Sachs shocks for Bilsteins (what Freightliner used to use). Really couldn't tell any difference. Truth be told, if I still have the motorhome and it comes time for new shocks, I will probably go back to Sachs.

Not familiar with Sachs. I didn't find the big price difference Spritz mentions. If I remember right there was about $5 per when I compared and Bilstiens were back ordered. But even $5 each adds up to $40 altogether!

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins

Old 09-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
As long as a person knows they got the right shocks and they fit we are good. I called Source Engineering and they also had ones they have had engineered specifically for my coach. I just couldn't see how the magazine could analyze all the different Bilstiens out there and the consumer know for sure which ones were actually tested. Maybe I'm a little narcissistic and I am always suspicious but I think when we are spending the big bucks for shocks I doubt that any of us could tell much difference in the ride differences. It's all perception and opinion as well as expectations. Any good shocks are better than original.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Alan, I'm sure the tests were done with stock Bilstein shocks, not the ones you get "tuned" from Source Engineering. Not sure how much that "tuning" would benefit you...

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #18

Rough ride.

Thanks for the input on new shocks. I'm getting ready to replace the shocks on the rear of our Four Winds Siesta. Wasn't sure which shocks to use to improve the ride.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydKay View Post
Thanks for the input on new shocks. I'm getting ready to replace the shocks on the rear of our Four Winds Siesta. Wasn't sure which shocks to use to improve the ride.

LloydKay, Lol! I don't think any of us are sure as to which gives a better ride. Think, Dodge, Ford or Chevy. Which of those three are best? Depends on what YOU purchased 😉

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 10-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #20

I went back and forth on trying to decide whether Bilsteins or Koni's were the way to go. I finally decided on the Bilstein's (all the RV ones they make now are the dual action Comfitrac design). Cost didn't enter into my decision. The Motorhome mag article held a lot of weight for me as the chassis they did there test on was the same albeit a longer wheel base than mine. In my opinion, the ride of the Comfitrac Bilsteins is significantly better than the stock Sachs. I paid $87 each for them with free shipping from Shock Warehouse three months ago. They are the newest version with the zinc plated tubes.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator336 View Post
I went back and forth on trying to decide whether Bilsteins or Koni's were the way to go. I finally decided on the Bilstein's (all the RV ones they make now are the dual action Comfitrac design). Cost didn't enter into my decision. The Motorhome mag article held a lot of weight for me as the chassis they did there test on was the same albeit a longer wheel base than mine. In my opinion, the ride of the Comfitrac Bilsteins is significantly better than the stock Sachs..

Shock Therapy: RV Shock Absorber Test

I just noticed that this article was written in 2009, prior to Koni coming out with their FSD technology if not nor mistaken.

On the other hand, the newer F53 chassis now have a smaller bore Bilstein shock, going from 1.80" to 1.63" since 2013 for ALL chassis lenght and capacity. Is this suitable for a 16000 chassis as well as a 26000? Lightly equiped or loaded?

I beleive thre isn't one solution to all applications
Old 02-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
Shock Therapy: RV Shock Absorber Test

I just noticed that this article was written in 2009, prior to Koni coming out with their FSD technology if not nor mistaken.

On the other hand, the newer F53 chassis now have a smaller bore Bilstein shock, going from 1.80" to 1.63" since 2013 for ALL chassis lenght and capacity. Is this suitable for a 16000 chassis as well as a 26000? Lightly equiped or loaded?

I beleive thre isn't one solution to all applications
on my 2014 f53 chassis... I put konis on front..... then everyone said bilstiens....

so I called Bilstien and said "Why would I take off brand new bilstiens... only to replace them with new Bilstiens.".

answer... the ford bilstiens are built to ford spec and ride like crap..

the konis improved the ride... I took them off and the bilstiens further improved the ride...

engine still was noisey but smooth riding...
Old 02-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #23

Quote:
I am by no means an expert but from all that I have read and the vast array of prices for Bilsteins I think they are made Ina variety of qualities and performance grades. I found it to be very confusing when I first started looking for new shocks. I have since bought Koni's for my last two motorhomes after talking to Brazel's about shocks. They have never steered me wrong. The price difference between the two top quality shocks was not enough to be concerned about. I do think when you are buying Bilstiens for less than $100 each I think you are buying the lower line. My current MH was not a cheap date! Eight shocks to buy but five of the eight original shocks I discovered were doing absolutely nothing. That was 38k miles.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
I think you are right about the cheaper Bilstiens. CW just published an add for Bilstiens @ $50 ea.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
on my 2014 f53 chassis... I put konis on front..... then everyone said bilstiens....

so I called Bilstien and said "Why would I take off brand new bilstiens... only to replace them with new Bilstiens.".

answer... the ford bilstiens are built to ford spec and ride like crap..

the konis improved the ride... I took them off and the bilstiens further improved the ride...

engine still was noisey but smooth riding...

What is the pn printed on your NEW Bilstein shock (or on your shipping bill)?

The label on my bilstein shows 18080 BA. This is on a 2013 Vista 26HE.
I just read on anther forum that is a Ford reference number.

On the Bilstein equivalent chart, for the F53 2005 to 2011, they list an Aftermarket with lifetime warrenty BE5-E631 HO (old pn) or 24-187039 (new pn). that would be for the 1.80" bore.

What with the 1.63" bore used since 2013? Any better/smoother?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
What is the pn printed on your NEW Bilstein shock (or on your shipping bill)?

The label on my bilstein shows 18080 BA. This is on a 2013 Vista 26HE.
I just read on anther forum that is a Ford reference number.

On the Bilstein equivalent chart, for the F53 2005 to 2011, they list an Aftermarket with lifetime warrenty BE5-E631 HO (old pn) or 24-187039 (new pn). that would be for the 1.80" bore.

What with the 1.63" bore used since 2013? Any better/smoother?

if you call bilstien they will give you correct up graded shock #

the yellow ones are ford shock ..oem
Old 02-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
I am looking to replace my shocks and have spent many hours researching what brand to buy. After reading all the posts that I could find on Irv2 and other sites, I decided on the Konis. However after spending time on the phone, getting advice from many people who 'know' shocks, I decided that I should go with the Bilsteins.
Unfortunately everyone (and I checked) is 'out of stock' on them. Seems they are expanding their Ohio plant and are just getting up and running again. New shocks should arrive by the end of October. Wanted them now but will have to wait.
After making this decision, I found this article online. It only confirmed what I already found out. Wish I had seen it earlier in my research, it would have saved me time. Hope it helps someone else to decide.
http://www.motorhome.com/rv-how-to/rv-tech-tips/shock-therapy-rv-shock-absorber-test/
PS Because I wanted them NOW I even checked Monroe only to find them out also.
I'm sure the OP is going to see a huge improvement I the ride and handling regardless of the brand shocks he chooses. No 2000 gas chassis came from the factory with shocks intended to last more than a couple years.
We replaced the shocks on our 2001 Ford chassis with only 22,000 miles on the odometer. 3 of the 4 had no resistance in either direction, and the 4th was leaking.

We replaced them with lifetime Bilsteins. With over 100,000 miles on the odometer when we traded it in the shocks were still doing a fine job. I believe in 2004 Ford started installing lifetime Bilsteins from the factory. Our 2013 motorhome on the Ford chassis has about 20,000 miles on the odometer and rides just fine on the factory Bilsteins.

I agree whole heartedly with the idea that the "perception" of the quality of the ride often outweighs the reality.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #27

I just replaced my OEM Bilsteins with 8,000 miles on them to new FSD Koni front shocks. I just came back from an 800 mile trip last week and the Koni shock gave a much improved ride. Less jarring, much smoother. I'd recommend the Koni shocks, as many others here have. You will find more information in the Ford Chassis section on this forum.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
I just replaced my OEM Bilsteins with 8,000 miles on them to new FSD Koni front shocks. I just came back from an 800 mile trip last week and the Koni shock gave a much improved ride. Less jarring, much smoother. I'd recommend the Koni shocks, as many others here have. You will find more information in the Ford Chassis section on this forum.
... the oem bilstiens are valved to ford stif stiff specs,.. so yes ..,, konis are better.... but if you change to bilstiens that are valved to bilstiens specs... even grater performace..

the konis fade and pack on long bumpy roads...

Tags
shocks