Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New shocks-Bilstein vs others

I am looking to replace my shocks and have spent many hours researching what brand to buy. After reading all the posts that I could find on Irv2 and other sites, I decided on the Konis. However after spending time on the phone, getting advice from many people who 'know' shocks, I decided that I should go with the Bilsteins.
Unfortunately everyone (and I checked) is 'out of stock' on them. Seems they are expanding their Ohio plant and are just getting up and running again. New shocks should arrive by the end of October. Wanted them now but will have to wait.
After making this decision, I found this article online. It only confirmed what I already found out. Wish I had seen it earlier in my research, it would have saved me time. Hope it helps someone else to decide.
http://www.motorhome.com/rv-how-to/rv-tech-tips/shock-therapy-rv-shock-absorber-test/
PS Because I wanted them NOW I even checked Monroe only to find them out also.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #2

Read the same article a couple of days ago......I was trying to decide what was the choice. I am only replacing the front shocks for now.....want to see if that makes a difference in the handling. So I have too decided on the Bilsteins, and am planning in ordering the in a couple of days....
Good luck in your install
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #3

Gerryl,

What is the year and model of your RV? I have a 2013 Hurricane 33g on a F53 chassis and I replace my front shock with KYB because the original shock (Bilstein) are too stiff for me. So far I like the ride (not bouncy) and handling. I'm changing my rear too with KYB by next month. I like KYB because they are in the middle of soft and firm ride and the price is right. My front KYB shocks are $53.79 each + shippinh and handling. My rear will cost me $62.79 each + SH.
muscob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Muscob, Thanks, Ill check out. I have a 1999 Ford F53. 34' National Seabreeze. I just had a new windshield installed and don't want to take a chance on breaking another one. Thought new shocks might help.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #5

Gerryl, Go to Rockauto.com.
muscob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
Muscob, Thanks, Ill check out. I have a 1999 Ford F53. 34' National Seabreeze. I just had a new windshield installed and don't want to take a chance on breaking another one. Thought new shocks might help.
I was in the same boat (oops) Motorhome you are in I wanted Konis but just could not swing them so I went for Bistiens. I installed the fronts and am waiting for the rears (maybe this Friday they are coming out of KC). Try SDtrucksprings.com Big sale I got the fronts for 96.00 and the rears @ 93 and change Free shipping and 10% off so the rears cost me $176.90. can't wait.
I took it in today to have the rear Airlifts replaced (another fourm) and with just the fronts I am in awe how it feels.
Hope they can help you.
Tim

Yep just checked $104ea and change free shipping and a 10% discount
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I was in the same boat (oops) Motorhome you are in I wanted Konis but just could not swing them so I went for Bistiens. I installed the fronts and am waiting for the rears (maybe this Friday they are coming out of KC). Try SDtrucksprings.com Big sale I got the fronts for 96.00 and the rears @ 93 and change Free shipping and 10% off so the rears cost me $176.90. can't wait.
I took it in today to have the rear Airlifts replaced (another fourm) and with just the fronts I am in awe how it feels.
Hope they can help you.
Tim

Yep just checked $104ea and change free shipping and a 10% discount
The Ad at the top of the page has eshocks.com and they have them for 10 bucks cheaper even yet..
Old 09-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #8

My coach came with factory installed Bilstein shocks. Rough ride, every bump jolting the coach. Changed to Koni FSD shocks - much better!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 AM   #9

I am by no means an expert but from all that I have read and the vast array of prices for Bilsteins I think they are made Ina variety of qualities and performance grades. I found it to be very confusing when I first started looking for new shocks. I have since bought Koni's for my last two motorhomes after talking to Brazel's about shocks. They have never steered me wrong. The price difference between the two top quality shocks was not enough to be concerned about. I do think when you are buying Bilstiens for less than $100 each I think you are buying the lower line. My current MH was not a cheap date! Eight shocks to buy but five of the eight original shocks I discovered were doing absolutely nothing. That was 38k miles.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 09-25-2014, 06:01 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
After reading those tests I went with the Bilsteins.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
After reading those tests I went with the Bilsteins.

But which ones? God, better, best, tuned. I found all the different levels to be way too confusing.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 09-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
But which ones? God, better, best, tuned. I found all the different levels to be way too confusing.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD

We use the Bilsteins 24-187305 which they recommended for our chassis. That was back in July 2012 so the numbers may have changed by now.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #13

As long as a person knows they got the right shocks and they fit we are good. I called Source Engineering and they also had ones they have had engineered specifically for my coach. I just couldn't see how the magazine could analyze all the different Bilstiens out there and the consumer know for sure which ones were actually tested. Maybe I'm a little narcissistic and I am always suspicious but I think when we are spending the big bucks for shocks I doubt that any of us could tell much difference in the ride differences. It's all perception and opinion as well as expectations. Any good shocks are better than original.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 09-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Being on SSDI no I couldn't swing it there was almost 400 bucks difference between the Konis and the Bilstiens. My Bilstiens were $147.00 ea and after discounts were 176.90 (for the 2 rears) and the front thanks to the cashiers mistake cost me 48 bucks for both fronts I get it back today after they replace the rear air bags that are shot (warranty) I just ordered the rear Bilstiens yesterday and willl ship out of KC So hoping to have them by the weekend.
Tim

Tags
shocks