Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New shocks. Still trying.

Has anyone else had this problem? I ordered 10 new Bilstien shocks for our 08' Dynasty on the RR10S Roadmaster chassis from Shockwarehouse.com. Got 3 of the 10 needed and was told the other 7 were on back order from Bilstien. We were told it should be three weeks. Then we were told two more weeks. Now that time is up and we're trying find out what the story is today. GGRRRR! Is Bilstien having problems? It would sure seem so. I've ordered from Shockwarehouse before and had good results.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck49 View Post
Has anyone else had this problem? I ordered 10 new Bilstien shocks for our 08' Dynasty on the RR10S Roadmaster chassis from Shockwarehouse.com. Got 3 of the 10 needed and was told the other 7 were on back order from Bilstien. We were told it should be three weeks. Then we were told two more weeks. Now that time is up and we're trying find out what the story is today. GGRRRR! Is Bilstien having problems? It would sure seem so. I've ordered from Shockwarehouse before and had good results.

Unacceptable! If it were me, I would return the 3 to Shockwarehouse and order 4 for your steer axle from Source Engineering. Ride comfort is affected Most by the front and then replace the drive and tag down the road.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shox.com
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #4

Ordered shocks from Shockwharehouse they sent me one wrong shock. Spent weeks trying to get a replacement from them finally gave up went and bought one local, for less money, called credit card and so far they are out of the money, and my ever doing bus. with them again.
Xmovieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Many have ordered the Bilsteins for a Monaco chassis and have been VERY unhappy. I would return and go with the Koni FSD's.

I would ask Source engineering and Bilstein this question before spending money on Bilstein shocks. A few years ago, Source Engineering (old Monaco guys) started selling Monaco specific upgrades. I bought their engine fan and their sway bars.....they both were a great improvement. They then started on shocks. They partnered with Bilstein and designed a Ride Enhancement Kit for the R4R and RR8R chassis'. The kit included softer air bags, ping tanks AND specially designed/valved Bilstein shocks to compliment the package. Friends of ours tested the shocks. So here is the issue. Are the Bilsteins that are being sold for the Roadmaster chassis set up for a stock chassis or a ride enhanced chassis?

On the Monaco Forum, many have not been happy with the Bilsteins. The FSD's work the best. After reading dozens of threads, I also found that the Class A gassers are happier with the Bilsteins over the FSD's.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm very happy with my Koni's, much better ride then with the Bilstein's I replaced with less then 5,000 miles on them.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #7

Has anyone tried a KYB Shock, They are all I use on the Big Trucks and give a great ride, I will replace the Bilsteins with them when it's time.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would return them and go with Koni FSD or adjustables. Much better ride for your money. The adjustables can be dialed in to a very comfortable ride and great handling package together on the steer axle with FSDs on the rear. Replaced my Bilsteins last year and haven't missed them.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts 2006 Kountry Star 3910 KSDP Spartan MM chassis ISL350
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

Your camper needs 10 shocks? How big is it?

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I had OEM removed when I bought the rig 20,000 miles on them, they were terrible. Bought Bilstein's good improvement. At 60,000 and 5 years later had Koni FSD installed couple months ago. Koni's are much
Old 06-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I had OEM removed when I bought the rig 20,000 miles on them, they were terrible. Bought Bilstein's good improvement. At 60,000 and 5 years later had Koni FSD installed couple months ago. Koni's are much

Koni's are much........ Better, worse, Much what?

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Better.....sorry about the fat finger that hit the return button
Old 06-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like my shocks that came from NAPA.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Follow up. Last word from Bilstein through Shockwarehouse.com was now back ordered till August. Told them to cancel the rest of the order (the seven we were waiting for). Kept the three we had and started calling around. Found the others and they will be here by Wednesday. I know everybody has their favorites. We've had the Bilstiens before and have been very happy with them and better price then the Konis. On both of the class A coaches we've had I've found that having the steering caster set right has made the biggest difference in the overall handling and with good shocks the ride has been great.
To answer one here, yes, ten shocks. As stated, it is an 08' Monaco Dynasty 43' with a tag axle. 4 shocks on the steer axle, 4 on the drive axle and 2 on the tag. Source Engineering told me that Bilstein has gotten so much OE business that they can't keep up with the after market demand. These should be the last shocks I'll ever need on this coach but if I need new ones some day I'll check better before I order. Safe travels to all.

Tags
shocks