Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 12:08 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
New Shower Remodel

I just posted a blog with pictures showing our recently completed shower remodel... just thought some of you might get a kick out of it

http://www.irv2.com/forums/blogs/wry...finally-79406/

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #2

Nice job. I bet you are happy to be out of the bathroom. Working in those confined spaces can be so much fun. What's next?

mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW... Very nice. How many hours did you work on it? I am a Carpenter and I appreciate good work. Well done.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
Nice job. I bet you are happy to be out of the bathroom. Working in those confined spaces can be so much fun. What's next?
Thanks! Yeah, it was cramped and my knees and back aren't what they used to be

As soon as I can talk my wife into it, I'm removing the couch and replacing it with two recliners... haven't decided what kind yet: regular recliners, theater recliners, euro, etc. And then I'm moving the TV from over the entrance to across from the recliners, make it like a real living room. The empty space over the entrance will become our new map and accessories cabinet.

I also haven't decided yet whether to install it in a pop-up cabinet or just sitting on top of the cabinet; it'll sit in front of windows but it's not like we ever open those windows anyway - an enormous recliner is sitting in front of them now, which is also going bye-bye - so I think I'll just screw the TV to the top of some kind of nice credenza or something.

But, as the wife is fond of reminding me, I still have a couple projects to complete on the stix-n-brix, so who knows

Old 07-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAN View Post
WOW... Very nice. How many hours did you work on it? I am a Carpenter and I appreciate good work. Well done.
Thanks! I was a carpenter in my 20's, switched over to cabinet maker in my 30's and 40's but I retired from "real" work when I was 46 so it's been a while

It took about 70 hours to complete, but it shouldn't have... I'm just not nearly as fast as I used to be. Also, I couldn't work full days on my hands and knees like I could when I was younger, so it took 3 weeks to get it all done... roughly 20-25 hours of actual "swingin' the hammer" work per week. The rest of the time I was engineering the project or working out a problem... brain stuff

Everything hurts, but it was well worth it

Old 07-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've been wondering about replacing the plastic with tile. Good job.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I've been wondering about replacing the plastic with tile. Good job.
It's a relatively straightforward job for any DIY-er... there weren't any real tricks to it or anything. I ran into a bit of a headache when I was trying to figure out how to lower the existing plumbing in order to build a lower new floor, but once I gave up on that everything else fell into place.

The biggest concern I had was weight. I've seen remodels that added full slabs of marble and granite, and they look great but jeez... that's really gotta throw things out of balance. We use VERY thin tile backer and tile to keep the weight as low as possible. I'm just glad we could find something we like in tile that thin.

I did waaay overdo it on the waterproofing, but that's because I know at some point this stuff is going to move and I wanted the waterproofing membrane to be thick enough and strong enough to move with it. I think I made it work

Old 07-22-2016, 11:25 PM   #8

shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
It's a relatively straightforward job for any DIY-er... there weren't any real tricks to it or anything. I ran into a bit of a headache when I was trying to figure out how to lower the existing plumbing in order to build a lower new floor, but once I gave up on that everything else fell into place.

The biggest concern I had was weight. I've seen remodels that added full slabs of marble and granite, and they look great but jeez... that's really gotta throw things out of balance. We use VERY thin tile backer and tile to keep the weight as low as possible. I'm just glad we could find something we like in tile that thin.

I did waaay overdo it on the waterproofing, but that's because I know at some point this stuff is going to move and I wanted the waterproofing membrane to be thick enough and strong enough to move with it. I think I made it work
Been thinking about doing this. My question is did you ever consider using a shower door and glass? Thanks Roger
Old 07-23-2016, 05:19 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger&Patti View Post
Been thinking about doing this. My question is did you ever consider using a shower door and glass? Thanks Roger
Yes, we considered it. In fact, I've engineered it so that we can still add glass later on if we choose... it'd sit right on top of the curb and go all the way to the ceiling. We'd likely put the door on the long straight side to the left of the 45 angle in the front.

One version of the shower was actually all glass all the way around... glass walls on the inside and the outside with a tile floor. But 3/8" tempered glass is very expensive and very heavy - I don't think 1/4" glass would survive the pounding of the road for very long. Adding even just the outside glass walls would have blown both my weight budget and my cost budget.

Besides all that, one of the reasons we remodeled the shower in the first place was that the old one felt so claustrophobic. Adding new glass now would have less of that effect because it's bigger, but it's not so much bigger that it would go away entirely.

We may still add the glass one day, but at this point we really like the curtain because it's so versatile.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I wish we could do ours!

I love, love, love what you did to the shower! This is the last remodel I would like to do to our Bus. We have almost remodeled the whole interior except for the bathroom. We currently have the QSP with the tub and I am not a big fan of it.
Good job!
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey15 View Post
I love, love, love what you did to the shower! This is the last remodel I would like to do to our Bus. We have almost remodeled the whole interior except for the bathroom. We currently have the QSP with the tub and I am not a big fan of it.
Good job!
If I remember the floor plan for your rig, the side panels of the shower are right up against a sink on one side and the bedroom dividing wall on the other, right? I was just wondering because all that means is you wouldn't be able to make it much bigger but you sure could make it a helluva lot nicer

I had a little unused space leftover between the right shower panel and the pantry cabinet right next to it... maybe 5-6 inches or so. I reclaimed all that space by simply tiling the side of the cabinet... every little bit helps.

I also had some extra floor space that let me push the front of the shower out quite a bit, as you can see. I bet you could do something similar and it would make a big difference!

You sound like a competent DIY-er, and I can tell you that this isn't nearly as hard a job to do as one might imagine... it's probably no more complicated than any other project you've done. It's time consuming, it's kinda pricey, and it can be some hard work in a cramped space, but it's not at all complicated, especially with a couple thousand YouTube videos to help guide you.

If you decide to go for it, I wish you good luck and smooth tiling

Old 07-24-2016, 03:02 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Excellent 1st class job. But Im afraid the vertical glass tile pattern would give me vertigo...Lol! jus sayn
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Excellent 1st class job. But Im afraid the vertical glass tile pattern would give me vertigo...Lol! jus sayn
Thanks so much! Yeah, I know what you mean, believe me. It's different, that's for sure. The only samples I could find of vertical applications of mosaic glass were as accents - I couldn't find any that showed the entire project installed vertically. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe that's a bad thing... I dunno.

The initial plan was to install it horizontally, like normal people would. I first suggested installing it vertically to my wife when I was trying to make installing the glass easier, cuz... ya know... I'm lazy like that I just didn't want to have to cut all that glass on angle for the 45 corner in the back - I wasn't even sure if it would cut cleanly enough to do that; it's really fragile. But when I held a sheet of it on the corner vertically it just wrapped itself right into the corner without any resistance whatsoever, and when she saw it that way she immediately loved it because it was different.

The moral of the story is that laziness sometimes pays off; you just have to give yourself permission to be unique

Tags
remodel, shower