Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #1

New Thinking

Tesla recently premiered a battery powered Big Rig with a 500 mile range before having to recharge. Better yet a concrete house was made with a 3d printer. Using other, much lighter materials, it would seem a coach house could be constructed that would be more solid than current offerings. Any thoughts on this?
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

Sure, at a cost in most cases. If one could get their hands on carbon fiber, use it wherever possible, and Aerogel for insulation, then any one of lighter materials for internals - counter tops, doors, storage, etc. You could lighten up a beat like that a ton. I would imagine at some point, too light might be a problem in some driving conditions...

Not to mention carbon nanotubes... I haven't followed their development in a couple years, super light, insanely strong.

It would sure be fun to try though!
Old 05-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

Both are new technologies that likely will take years to work out the kinks, and bring the costs down to something reasonable.

Unless you're willing to be on the bleeding edge and perhaps spend a lot more than others, something like this will be several years out.

I'm not waiting for that, choosing instead to take what I can and enjoy my retirement. My pioneer spirit is in the adventure, not testing new technology for the next generation of coaches.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
And how long does it take to recharge said Big Rig back up to its 500 mile range, which is about half what they range with 250 gallons of diesel?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #5

I do not know recharge time. https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...paign=galleryI have a friend who drives a Tesla car across country without charging issues.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #6

I realize this is new tech but the possibilities are huge. https://youtu.be/GqLayMpNruE
Old 05-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #7

I would imagine with a big rig, recharge times will be limited by the source. with li-on batteries, and the sheer size of the bank needed for the rig, it could take some huge amperage. I am guessing the Tesla cells range 1-1.5 C. Not sure how they are packing them hundreds, to a few thousand per pack...
Old 05-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago & Motiv Power have developed - and marketed - an all electric motorhome for commercial applications. It has a short range, about 80 miles. See https://electrek.co/2018/05/02/winne...ric-motorhome/

We are still a long way from a practical heavy duty platform with decent range. Besides, arriving at your destination with near dead batteries isn't all that great!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote