Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
New Thor Vegas owner

We have owned a Thor Vegas for less than a year. In that time, we have camped in it 4 times, of varying lengths of days each outing. It has been back to the shop for warranty work 5 times. Mostly, workmanship, and quality control issues. Some of the threads I have read concerning the Vegas/Axis coaches, indicate similar problems we have encountered, some small, and some more serious. Mostly, quality control at manufacture seems to be the primary issue. We do like the coach a lot, for all the reasons we bought it in the first place, such as , size, ease of driving, sleeping quarters, low center of gravity, better m.p.g., than our larger coach, Ford chassis, interesting bath design, and sleeping for four+ people.
One issue I discovered, when I replaced the rear brake-light bulb, the thin, foam gasket allowed water intrusion behind the tail-light assembly, thus starting rot in the plywood substrate on the wall. It was leaking for a long time, as the wood was already beginning to rot. This coach is less than a year old, and if had I not seen this, the back wall would have begun to delaminate, requiring a whole new back panel. Make sure you check behind these tail-light assemblies. I removed the useless foam gaskets on both assemblies, and siliconed a good, water-proof gasket in place.
I did have a problem with the shower wall separating from the wall, and I used adhesive caulk behind it to secure it , then caulked the seam. The coach is still under warranty, and so far, Thor has agreed to repair the vinyl flooring that was damaged by screws poking up through from beneath, rear-view mirrors that have a corroded finish, windshield wipers that stopped working. These items will be addressed when we bring the coach in for the 6th warranty visit to Camping World. They have previously repaired exterior trim under entry-door coming loose, interior trim pieces that were improperly installed at the factory, 12 volt power-points in the dash that continually blew fuses., top stair-tread that slid off the step. There are several other items I have repaired myself, of less importance, but no less annoying. I have been in contact with Thor during the year, and have been satisfied in the responses I have received. However, this coach though innovative in design, was not ready for prime-time in execution. It seems the rush to get the units out on the lots resulted in hurried and haphazard workmanship, over-worked assembly-line personnel, and an inferior product. It is a shame. The coach is at an attractive price-point, and we expected to have an entry-level quality lower than our previous Tiffin, but the issues we have had, were not expected. When the issues are finally addressed, and resolved,we plan to keep the Vegas, and anticipate many travels. We are not-yet-satisfied owners, but hope to be soon.

davidgebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Welcome to the wonderful world of "We'll fix it,.... After you buy it." We have a 2013 FW Expedition we bought June 2013. We have been over a year getting things sorted out. We have an extended warranty. It has helped some. I understand your concern about alleged quality control. I don't really understand how they get away with t, but they do, quite often.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote

thor, gas