Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

New Tire

Have had my coach for about 4 months now and we had to have one of the rear tires replaced. The first tire they were going to replace it with the guy told me was 10 or 12 years old (brand new tire, just older) and he said the sidewall was different. I know nothing about tires but I told him I would rather it be the exact same tire. So he called around and said he would have one in a couple of days.

The tire they put on was (if I remember correctly) a tire from 2010. Is this an issue? I'm getting little bits on information here concerning tires and rv's but I'm having a hard time putting it all together.
Riover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Yes it is an issue. Most tires see the end of their life at about 7 yrs old. You are getting a tire that is already 4 yrs old. Tire age, not wear is the chief cause of tire failure. Tell them you want tires with a more current manufacture date.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Yes it is an issue. Most tires see the end of their life at about 7 yrs old. You are getting a tire that is already 4 yrs old. Tire age, not wear is the chief cause of tire failure. Tell them you want tires with a more current manufacture date.

Half your tire value is gone before you crank up the engine.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riover View Post
Have had my coach for about 4 months now and we had to have one of the rear tires replaced. The first tire they were going to replace it with the guy told me was 10 or 12 years old (brand new tire, just older) and he said the sidewall was different. I know nothing about tires but I told him I would rather it be the exact same tire. So he called around and said he would have one in a couple of days.

The tire they put on was (if I remember correctly) a tire from 2010. Is this an issue? I'm getting little bits on information here concerning tires and rv's but I'm having a hard time putting it all together.
What size tire and brand. Also why just one tire to be replaces. What is the date on your current tires. Look for the DOT stamped on the sidewall.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
What size tire and brand. Also why just one tire to be replaces. What is the date on your current tires. Look for the DOT stamped on the sidewall.
Just got off the phone with Goodyear. They are telling me that according to the DOT number on my tire it was 2008. My RV is a 2014. Am I missing something here?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Goodyear. They are telling me that according to the DOT number on my tire it was 2008. My RV is a 2014. Am I missing something here?
Something doesn't seem right. Can you post exactly what your DOT number is? Hard to believe that a manufacturer would put a six year old tire on a new rig.

Is it safe to assume you're the original owner?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah I agree with Rick, something sure doesn't sound right. You definitely did not get all new tires on a new MH. I'd think somebody would have some explaining to do and it would be an issue that needs addressed. Good luck in your findings.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Something doesn't seem right. Can you post exactly what your DOT number is? Hard to believe that a manufacturer would put a six year old tire on a new rig.

Is it safe to assume you're the original owner?

Rick
I am the original owner. I went and checked the tires for the DOT numbers and the only one's I could see were the rear outside tires. One of them is MC55 2CEW 1213, that would be a 2013 tire, right? That seems to check out. The other side also ends in 1213. Don't know about the inner tires nor could I find the DOT number on the front tires.

I got the 2008 date from the person I was speaking to at Goodyear, after I told them I think they shouldn't have put an older tire on my vehicle. Think my next couple of calls are going to be to Freightliner and Thor.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #9

What about the details on your coach, manufacturer and model plus the tire(s) detail requested earlier. This will help answer your questions.

Here is how to read the 4 digit DOT code: The first two digits stand for the week; the other two are the year.

So the 1213 DOT code means the 12th week of 2013.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
What about the details on your coach, manufacturer and model plus the tire(s) detail requested earlier. This will help answer your questions.

Here is how to read the 4 digit DOT code: The first two digits stand for the week; the other two are the year.

So the 1213 DOT code means the 12th week of 2013.
Sorry missed that part of the question (seeing a little bit of red right now). It's a 2014 Thor Palazzo (class A DP). Tire is a Goodyear 255/70R22.5.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Sorry missed that part of the question (seeing a little bit of red right now). It's a 2014 Thor Palazzo (class A DP). Tire is a Goodyear 255/70R22.5.
Based on the 1213 DOT then that would be a tire produced in March 2013. If that is the same DOT code you gave to Goodyear, then I can't see how they came up with 2008. Question, what is the DOT code on the one tire you had replaced. If it is on the front tires on the back side you should be able to crawl under the front and find it. If it is on the inside rear dual then it may be hard to see if at all. Was this tire replaced at the dealer where you bought the coach.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No problem Riover.

You'll see that many of us have added the details of our rigs in our signature lines. This can be done easily through your "User Control Panel" and it helps others give you more accurate responses more rapidly.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 02-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #13

I would be very concerned about what tire they put on your MH. Even it the size is the same, there could/will be a difference in overall height/size. I have seen as much as 3/4" in tire size from different vendors, even though the size was the same. I would request(very strongly) that the replacement tire be the same make/size and if possible the same DOT date.
Tires on our MH's are not something to mess around with. Too much at stake!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #14

My first responce to the place you took the coach to for a tire would be his reply that the tires were 10 TO 12 yrs old. Tires have dates as required by DOT so he either didnt look or was guessing or lying. If they are indeed 2008 on a 2014 coach I would be headed back to the dealership for an answer why your NEW coach has 6 year old tires. Someone would be replacing all six tires and it would not be me.