Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #1

New tires???

We purchased our first MH on Saturday. The 97 Pace arrow needs 8 new tires and we new that going into it. It is 36 ft. long and the tire size is 235 85 16. They have toyos on them but These are the second tires that have been put on them. Wish I knew what the original tires were. Not even sure what tires to buy. We don't have a ton of money to work with. Les schwabb said they could put 8 on for $995 out the door. That seems low. I want a tire what we will be safe in. Any suggestions on brand or place to buy?
thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #2

I am a fan of Michelin.

You might be able to find these tires at tirerack.com.

They will ship directly to you or where you are having the mounting done.

Good luck and hope you find a great deal.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #3

How much do you usually save having them shipped? Do you know how much a tire place will charge to put them on?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
16" ?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #5

We saved on tax right off the bat.
So I guess this will depend in the state you live in. Also if you live near one of their distribution centers you can pick them up.

In my case they were car tires and I think I saved 25%.

Another place to consider is Sams Club or Cosco.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvlady View Post
We purchased our first MH on Saturday. The 97 Pace arrow needs 8 new tires and we new that going into it. It is 36 ft. long and the tire size is 235 85 16. They have toyos on them but These are the second tires that have been put on them. Wish I knew what the original tires were. Not even sure what tires to buy. We don't have a ton of money to work with. Les schwabb said they could put 8 on for $995 out the door. That seems low. I want a tire what we will be safe in. Any suggestions on brand or place to buy?
thanks
I wouldn't worry about the brand of the original tires, makes no difference now. What brand of tire did Les Schwabb give you a quote for?
I purchased my tires from them last year in Oregon and they did a great job, would use them again. I had Toyo's install and am happy with them so far.
BTW, maybe you should let the people on your other post know what MH you purchased.
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have talked with tire dealers who say" ASK for the house tires" for the best prices 10 ply of course .shop shop shop...cosco??..hmmm big 20/20 story a while ago showing where some of these wharehouse company have tires for years and they actually are dry rotted from the sell date to you the buyer......food for thought ...jim
Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #8

Regardless of what tire you buy or from whom, ALWAYS confirm the DOT date code on every tire before they are mounted!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I've had good experiences with both Toyo and Les Schaub
Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm only an expeet on my own experience:

I just bought six Michelin 235/80-22.5 at Costco $375. per tire less a coupon $70. off for four plus tax----I specified the DOT date had to be less than 2 months old, when my tires were delivered they were two weeks old. The Costco salesman called with my specification while I was standing there and told me they would be virtually new. Les Schwab installed, balanced the fronts and also installed dully valves (I provided) less than $240.

My previous Michelins were ten years old smooth as silk inside and out.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I apologise having re read the post I did not answer the questions.

Yes $995. for eight tires sounds like an error somewhere. My comment would be to at least shop at Costco comparing apples to apples and see what price you get for comperable tires. Toyos have seemed to be a good choice for many budget minded here in the forum over the time I have been reading and participating. Les Scwab handles TOYO.

My above post was to tell you that I came close to the Les Schwab Toyo price by getting my Michelins at Costco and they were virtually brand new. Les Scwab would not guarantee a DOT date Costco did. Incidently most of the tires on the floor at Costco were six months old at least however I made a specific request around the DOT date and they honored it for me. Costco can install your 16 inch rim tire so the price will include installation. Worth a look is all I am saying.

Tires are extremely inportant; thrifty is good, cheap, not so good when you are looking.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had Michelins on ours when it came time to change. Sidewall cracking took it's toll. I don't know how much traveling you're going to do but we changed over to Firestones and it was much cheaper. The only reason I mention the amount of driving is if you intend to sit alot I wouldn't go with the most expensive tire. We averaged about 5000 miles a year at the time we had our previous motorhome. Didn't see any difference in ride between the two brands. The fella at the tire center said they'll age out before you wear them out so why pay the extra money? I should mention ours were the 16" as well at that time. We had a Fleetwood Bounder. Good luck with your decision.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires