Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New Tires

well it is time again to invest $$$ in my DP. last year I replaced the front Michelins with a prorated deal from them. Now my rear tires are hitting 5 1/2 years young with about 17K miles, but the outside duals are showing too much cracking on the sidewalls. i went to 3 different Michelin dealers locally and of course received 3 different suggestions. the inside duals have no cracking and very good tread depth, same age, so just wait till they are 7 years old and replace them so one dealer said just replace the 2 outside tires and install the new tires on the outside, next dealer said to put the 2 new tires on one side and put the 2 inside duals on the other side, now of course the 3rd dealer says to replace all 4. i know the safest is to do all 4 since i am not sure of mixing the new tires like the other two dealers suggested. plus if i do all 4 right now it will save me any future price increase in another 18-24 months.

just wondering what others have done. even with the FMCA pricing i am looking at about $600 each out the door.....

majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I just replaced all 6 on my W22 which are considerably less $s. I could have gotten away with only changing the rears but for peace of mind I went with full replacement. I understand FMCA has a deal with Michelin on pricing. I know you don't want to mix tires on the same side as the new tire will wear quickly to match the older tire. If you are a Costco member you can see if they carry your size. That is where I bought mine. They won't install them but the pricing was $100 less per tire. I also installed Magnum Beads (balancing beads) and they seem to work very well.

Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
I just replaced all 6 on my W22 which are considerably less $s. I could have gotten away with only changing the rears but for peace of mind I went with full replacement. I understand FMCA has a deal with Michelin on pricing. I know you don't want to mix tires on the same side as the new tire will wear quickly to match the older tire. If you are a Costco member you can see if they carry your size. That is where I bought mine. They won't install them but the pricing was $100 less per tire. I also installed Magnum Beads (balancing beads) and they seem to work very well.
What size tires do you have
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
W22 uses 235-80R/22.5 I bought the Michelin XRV which is what the MH came with from the factory. I think the other style is the ZXE which is stiffer and gives a harder ride.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have 255/80R22.5, COSTCO can get them at $501 plus tax each, but then by the time I pay to have them installed elsewhere, almost at the same price.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i talked to Michelin today and here is what they suggested, something my old brain never even thought of. since the new front tires have only about 1000 miles on them, only replace the two outside duals, and put the new tires with the current new front tires on the rear. Then rotate the inside duals to the front. Personnalyy, I just like having the new treads on the front steering wheels myself. he then suggested that I take it to a Michelin dealer and have them evaluate the two outside duals and maybe they can work a pricing even better than the FMCA price. we will see later this week.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Michelin made my day again. The FMCA price for the tires were $493 each and they are going to give me a $250 credit on each tire for the abnormal sidewall cracking. I was shocked. So out the door the total price will be less than $500 for 2 tires, the date code was 4 months old, but for that price i will live with that date. They staff from Ziegler tire were very helpful in working this deal.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #8

Wow, I think this may be the first time I've heard of Michelin give an RV'er a break. And even admit that the cracking might be abnormal. I think you're lucky to have a dealer who will work with you.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires