Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Michelin's are very overrated! There are numerous threads on this site documenting problems. Google the tire brand, weigh the pros and cons. If pros outweigh cons do it!
Toyo tires were always suspect because they were unknown, now everyone wants them.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 09:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdman View Post
I have to replace the six Mich tires on my coachman Pathfinder. The size is 255/80R 22.5. My tire dealer says I can use a slightly different size in a Sumatomo brand ( I hope I got that right) without worrying about heat or rubbing on my tandem wheels. Cost of Mich is 4,450.00 and the cost of the Sumo is 2,275.00 I would like to save that money, but safety first. Any ideas?
In August 2009 I did just what you are asking about.
I replaced my xrv 255x80x22.5 with Sumitomo 727 tires in the 275/70R22.5 size. All the specs fit my rims and dual spacing. Tire is slightly wider. The new tires make 549 revs/mile where the old tires made 541 revs/mile, so the speedometer error is so small that I can't detect a difference.

The Sumitomo is a good tire.

Fred
Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #17

I just replaced the front tires on our '93 Pace Arrow. They were Samsons and lasted 6 years and 35,000 miles. The tire shop ( the best one in Sacramento) checked the rears, also Samsons, and said based on current condition should last another two years. We do store indoors.
brucemcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:47 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sumitomo tires are popular for delivery trucks, etc. according to a friend who uses them on his fleet. I asked because I have them. He says dependable & tough.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:55 PM   #19

On a few other forums, one for HiFi and the other for tech in general, some of the upper end manufactures get bashed quite regularly. For example on HiFi, both Meridian and Audio Research were popular to bash. On the tech forum, Apple is always 'just about to collapse'...

Here? Michelin sure gets bashed...

Don't want to buy Michelin? Fine, don't. Want to give your experience with a bad specific Michelin tire? Yes, as all manufactures will have a problem from time to time on a specific model or item. And that is constructive help to all RV'ers. But Michelin has a long history of providing tires for both the auto, RV and Trucking industries. And they are at a higher price point then many of their competitors.

It's sort of like say Foretravel's are all bad. Why, because they cost so much, and heck, they had some problems with a few models over the years. By gosh, anyone buying those higher priced Foretravels should have their heads examined. They could get a much less expensive Bounder, Georgetown, (Fill in the band and model that you feel is better, at of course much lower cost here...).

For sure their are choices that can be made on tires, as with all products. Different price points, and different levels of quality.

Do go buy what you want. And if that means Michelin are 'too expensive' for what you feel is not enough of a 'payback' in usage - that's OK. But don't keep beating the horse that anyone that would want to buy Michelin, is in need of a straightjacket...

Michelin owes me nothing, as I feel I've had good service out of them on our RV these last 5-6 years. And, I also felt I had a safety advantage by driving on the specific tire model I had chosen, due to a very robustly built tire.

But I'm not 'locked into' Michelin as the only tire I will consider. I do my best to shop the combination of price in relationship to my understanding of quality of return in value.

I have Yokohama tires on a few of our passenger cars. And have also had good luck with early Bridgestone tires on a few of the cars too. Michelin's were also a good choice, but due to a few reasons, I did not purchase them the last few sets of tires. Tomorrow? Sure, it could be Michelin. Or, Bridgestone, or Yokohama, or Continental's.... I'll do my research when I'm ready to buy, make a decision, and spend my money where and how I ant to.

And yes, I can bet that someone will be sizing me up for a straightjacket, regardless of what tire brand I choose that at that time...

Got to go now, my Meridian system needs to be turned off. And I want to go read the advance info on the I7 and Apple's push into virtual reality...

Happy New Years to you all. Travel safe, have fun, and do your own research and make your own decisions about any product you want to buy. And then don't let the straightjacket gang get to you!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #20

Another thing to keep in mind is tire dealers will peddle what THEY want to. Don't let dealers sway you when you have done your research. I bought 6 Firestone FS560'S for $1850 out the door this past July. Very happy with them. Many alternatives to Goodyear and Michelin that in my opinion are just as good and not selling on their name.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #21

I too have replaced my Michelin with Samson' from Chicago tire; truthfully, I wasn't expecting much as I know in two years I will upgrade this coach. However, much to my surprise upon static balancing all tires, all but two took 2oz and one took no weight and the other needed 16oz. Upon further examination, my rim was bent, mounted tire on new rim and this resolved issue. I have since put 6000 miles on coach and no issues. So, for $1300. delivered to my door, in addition to my labor time, overall I am pleased and so will the new owner when they see all the 2015 casing age. Last note; I wouldn't take any GY tire for free, riveting, etc, etc! and Michelins are a great, great tire, but in my case we just run the coach seasonally and the less you run a Michelin the harder things become with sidewall cracking... A lot of monies for minimum use...
jamador1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:12 AM   #22

Tires

I win a small trucking company. Have used all spoken about. I will 99% of the time put Michelin on the steer axel and the rest usually a good quality based on price. I have had many tires go bad and we are very pro active. However knock on wood only 1 steer tire and it was a factory original Bridgestone. Never a Michelin. Double coin is a high quality low cost in my opinion. Toyos were about 20% more money and held up best.
Ziggy319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
In August 2009 I did just what you are asking about.
I replaced my xrv 255x80x22.5 with Sumitomo 727 tires in the 275/70R22.5 size. All the specs fit my rims and dual spacing. Tire is slightly wider. The new tires make 549 revs/mile where the old tires made 541 revs/mile, so the speedometer error is so small that I can't detect a difference.

The Sumitomo is a good tire.

Fred
+1 same here
eddie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I went with the samsons about 6 months ago - been traveling all around the south and love them.used the savings for fuel and beer Nice
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #25

Thanks for a well written post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
On a few other forums, one for HiFi and the other for tech in general, some of the upper end manufactures get bashed quite regularly. For example on HiFi, both Meridian and Audio Research were popular to bash. On the tech forum, Apple is always 'just about to collapse'...

Here? Michelin sure gets bashed...

Don't want to buy Michelin? Fine, don't. Want to give your experience with a bad specific Michelin tire? Yes, as all manufactures will have a problem from time to time on a specific model or item. And that is constructive help to all RV'ers. But Michelin has a long history of providing tires for both the auto, RV and Trucking industries. And they are at a higher price point then many of their competitors.

It's sort of like say Foretravel's are all bad. Why, because they cost so much, and heck, they had some problems with a few models over the years. By gosh, anyone buying those higher priced Foretravels should have their heads examined. They could get a much less expensive Bounder, Georgetown, (Fill in the band and model that you feel is better, at of course much lower cost here...).

For sure their are choices that can be made on tires, as with all products. Different price points, and different levels of quality.

Do go buy what you want. And if that means Michelin are 'too expensive' for what you feel is not enough of a 'payback' in usage - that's OK. But don't keep beating the horse that anyone that would want to buy Michelin, is in need of a straightjacket...

Michelin owes me nothing, as I feel I've had good service out of them on our RV these last 5-6 years. And, I also felt I had a safety advantage by driving on the specific tire model I had chosen, due to a very robustly built tire.

But I'm not 'locked into' Michelin as the only tire I will consider. I do my best to shop the combination of price in relationship to my understanding of quality of return in value.

I have Yokohama tires on a few of our passenger cars. And have also had good luck with early Bridgestone tires on a few of the cars too. Michelin's were also a good choice, but due to a few reasons, I did not purchase them the last few sets of tires. Tomorrow? Sure, it could be Michelin. Or, Bridgestone, or Yokohama, or Continental's.... I'll do my research when I'm ready to buy, make a decision, and spend my money where and how I ant to.

And yes, I can bet that someone will be sizing me up for a straightjacket, regardless of what tire brand I choose that at that time...

Got to go now, my Meridian system needs to be turned off. And I want to go read the advance info on the I7 and Apple's push into virtual reality...

Happy New Years to you all. Travel safe, have fun, and do your own research and make your own decisions about any product you want to buy. And then don't let the straightjacket gang get to you!
Smitty
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:08 PM   #26

A new brand to the U.S. HDT tire industry is Sailun. They are a quality tire, heavier than most other brands, but with a good reputation for quality and longivity. I will put 6 on my MH for $ 2,200 installed when the time arrives.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
SAMPSON TIRES, When buying a used motorhome with 20,000 rear axel weight and 12,800 front axel weight, the dealer put new Sampson tires on size 275/70/22.5. The tire load range was not enough to handle the load. The dealer had them removed and put Hercules H902 on it. CHECK THE LOAD RATING. Also the speed rating was only 68 MPH
Old 01-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #28

I put 6 Sailun on our camper 2 years ago. For the price one good tire.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires