Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
One of the best replacement RV tires out there are the Hankook AH12's. They're a great tire, have a nice soft ride and work well on an RV. Their only issue is that they come in limited sizes. I know they make a 255/70 - 22.5. They're about $400.00 a tire.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #30
dont go cheap

Originally Posted by fdman View Post
I have to replace the six Mich tires on my coachman Pathfinder. The size is 255/80R 22.5. My tire dealer says I can use a slightly different size in a Sumatomo brand ( I hope I got that right) without worrying about heat or rubbing on my tandem wheels. Cost of Mich is 4,450.00 and the cost of the Sumo is 2,275.00 I would like to save that money, but safety first. Any ideas?
you will regret chinese tires--dont cheap a tire that will destroy when it blows

go49ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #31
Winnebago Owners Club
New tires

Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
On a few other forums, one for HiFi and the other for tech in general, some of the upper end manufactures get bashed quite regularly. For example on HiFi, both Meridian and Audio Research were popular to bash. On the tech forum, Apple is always 'just about to collapse'...

Here? Michelin sure gets bashed...

Don't want to buy Michelin? Fine, don't. Want to give your experience with a bad specific Michelin tire? Yes, as all manufactures will have a problem from time to time on a specific model or item. And that is constructive help to all RV'ers. But Michelin has a long history of providing tires for both the auto, RV and Trucking industries. And they are at a higher price point then many of their competitors.

It's sort of like say Foretravel's are all bad. Why, because they cost so much, and heck, they had some problems with a few models over the years. By gosh, anyone buying those higher priced Foretravels should have their heads examined. They could get a much less expensive Bounder, Georgetown, (Fill in the band and model that you feel is better, at of course much lower cost here...).

For sure their are choices that can be made on tires, as with all products. Different price points, and different levels of quality.

Do go buy what you want. And if that means Michelin are 'too expensive' for what you feel is not enough of a 'payback' in usage - that's OK. But don't keep beating the horse that anyone that would want to buy Michelin, is in need of a straightjacket...

Michelin owes me nothing, as I feel I've had good service out of them on our RV these last 5-6 years. And, I also felt I had a safety advantage by driving on the specific tire model I had chosen, due to a very robustly built tire.

But I'm not 'locked into' Michelin as the only tire I will consider. I do my best to shop the combination of price in relationship to my understanding of quality of return in value.

I have Yokohama tires on a few of our passenger cars. And have also had good luck with early Bridgestone tires on a few of the cars too. Michelin's were also a good choice, but due to a few reasons, I did not purchase them the last few sets of tires. Tomorrow? Sure, it could be Michelin. Or, Bridgestone, or Yokohama, or Continental's.... I'll do my research when I'm ready to buy, make a decision, and spend my money where and how I ant to.

And yes, I can bet that someone will be sizing me up for a straightjacket, regardless of what tire brand I choose that at that time...

Got to go now, my Meridian system needs to be turned off. And I want to go read the advance info on the I7 and Apple's push into virtual reality...

Happy New Years to you all. Travel safe, have fun, and do your own research and make your own decisions about any product you want to buy. And then don't let the straightjacket gang get to you!

Last summer I replaced my Michelin XRV 255/80R/22.5 with.....

...wait for it ....

Brand spankin new Michelin XRV 255/80R/22.5 tires!

Love Michelin. Wouldn't trust any other tire on my coach with my family!

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #32
if you were in japan or other parts of the world. sumitomo would be most peoples first choice.
rmarv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #33
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by rmarv1 View Post
if you were in japan or other parts of the world. sumitomo would be most peoples first choice.

Thank God I'm not, I'm in the USA!

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote