Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #1

New tires

I have to replace the six Mich tires on my coachman Pathfinder. The size is 255/80R 22.5. My tire dealer says I can use a slightly different size in a Sumatomo brand ( I hope I got that right) without worrying about heat or rubbing on my tandem wheels. Cost of Mich is 4,450.00 and the cost of the Sumo is 2,275.00 I would like to save that money, but safety first. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Another brand that is gaining traction are Samson line of tires. They have worked well for members in our family. They weigh a bit more than some of the common brand names. Quality seems to be high-all have proven to be round with little runout and requiring little balance weights.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Another thing to consider with any tire purchase is the Warranty and ease of finding a dealer that can get a replacement tire.

It is possible to get an un-reparable puncture in any brand or size tire. You might check tire dealers in areas you travel to see if there are dealers that carry or can get a replacement of the brand / size / type in a reasonable time.

You might get a great low price from :"Billy-Jo-Bob's cheap tire and bait shop" but that won't do you any good if you are 1,000 miles away from Billy-Jo's one and only outlet.

The internet can provide a lot of information on number and location of dealers.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdman View Post
I have to replace the six Mich tires on my coachman Pathfinder. The size is 255/80R 22.5. My tire dealer says I can use a slightly different size in a Sumatomo brand ( I hope I got that right) without worrying about heat or rubbing on my tandem wheels. Cost of Mich is 4,450.00 and the cost of the Sumo is 2,275.00 I would like to save that money, but safety first. Any ideas?

I know that savings is tempting, but most of the time you get what you pay for! I would be very trusting my life to something that cheap! JMHO!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would want to make sure that the revolutions per mile of the tires are the same or very close to the tires you have now. A number of factors depend on that. Transmission shift points, speedo accuracy and probably other things I am not aware of.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

sumitomo tire is made in japan. i have seen 18 wheels were using it. per my google searches, there is no data supporting the conclusion that it is inferior to goodyear or michelin in large size category. you can google

"sumitomo tire blown" + the size you are using,
"sumitomo tire blow" + the size you are using,
"sumitomo tire fail" + the size you are using,
"sumitomo tire failure" + the size you are using,
and see the results.

i would strongly recommend only installing the size as what's in your rig's spec, do not compromise no matter what the tire dealer says.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

Can't speak to the RV tires, but Sumitomo are well known tires and are not inferior quality. Not to say the RV tires are as good as Goodyear but in the sports car world they make very competitive tires. I would do more research before deciding but wouldn't rule them out because you are not familiar with them.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #8

FMCA advantage price for Micheline part number 59634 is $479 each. $2874 for six. This would not include mount and balance but I think I paid about $40 each for mount and spin balance the last time. Just an fyi.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mich's are over rated over priced.

I think Toyo's are getting good reviews, my coach came with new Hercules two years ago when i bought it.

10,000 miles they are doing fine, but Toyo is very good cost wise
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Mich's are over rated over priced.

I think Toyo's are getting good reviews, my coach came with new Hercules two years ago when i bought it.

10,000 miles they are doing fine, but Toyo is very good cost wise

I agree. They have out lived their usefulness as a premium tire. With their various problems and hard to get warranty service, they are on their way out in the RV world. There will always be those that are oversold who will continue to gift Michelin their dollars and pay their high prices. There are many brands out there that are proving to be as good if not better.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:48 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been a Michelin fan for many years - finding pricing delta not that large to other brands. However, when we start being $1-2,000.00 cheaper I may have to look at other brands next time. Toyo, Hankook, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try Samsons. Very good reviews and reasonable price. I got 6 245/70/19.5 H(16 ply rating) delivered to my house for $1009.00. That was a Holiday special a few weeks ago so they cost more now. I put Dynabeads in for balance, and am VERY happy with them. I bought from simpletire.com.
Grey Ghost I is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:20 PM   #13

I don't believe $479.00 for a 22.5 tire is out of line.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was quoted $4100 for 6 Michelin's in 2012, had Toyo's installed for $2700 and couldn't be happier. Original Michelin's had cracks everywhere at 3 years old, the Toyo's still look new today.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires