Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #1

New Tires

I'm searching for new tires for my MA. Currently it has Michelin XRV 235-80R 22.5. I was trying to cross match the size with other brands but the only one that appears to come close in diameter is the Toyo M154 245-75R 22.5. Any comments on the Toyo's as far as drivability, etc.. It appears the Toyos match the Michelins in load rating very closely.

I was really looking for Goodyears G670 because of the rebate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Search the forum for Toyo tires. There other threads that talk about this very thing. I switched over to the toyo you mentioned from the XRV and do not like it as much...although the cost was $600 lower. Toyo's do not seem to hug the road as well as Michelan.....but since I have lowered the air pressure some, it is better. If was to put more miles per year, I would definitly go back to the Michelans. Hope this helps.

emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #3

I was told the 235/80 R22.5 tires are Michelin only. My 1998 coach had those tires on it originally. The "standard" non-Michelin replacement is 245/75R22.5. When I bought my coach, those were what was on it. I just replaced them with G670 255/70R22.5. These are load range H, not G like the 245/75 and 235/80. I chose these tires because it appears they are easier to find than the 245/75 and I can carry my front axle GAWR with 95 psi instead of 110 psi required by the 245/75 - easier for me to air up. I haven't driven any distance yet to see how I like the ride at 95 psi.

You need to make sure your rear duals have enough space to allow for wider tires. The 255/80's have a smaller diameter and will affect your speedometer slightly. MY price for 6 of the G670 255/70R22.5 tires out the door were about $3100 including balancing beads and tax. I'm waiting for my $75/tire rebate now.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #4

Continental Tries ?

I am looking for new tires (295/80RX22.5) also and priced out 6 (Goodyear) at Camping World. They are very "proud" of their prices. Have heard of others trying Continentals. Any experience out there on them? Continental website states "Not specified for RV use", whatever that means.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I had Michelin 235/80 22.5 tire originally, replaced with Goodyear G670 275/70 22.5
XRV: Load range G, max load 4675 (Single) width 9.2in. . Rotation per mile 556 Spacing 10.3
G670: LR H max load 6940 (Single) width 10.4in Rotation 548/mile, Spacing 11.9
Both are almost the same diameter, the difference in rotation is about 1 % on speedometer. Good increase in tread width. The spacing should not be a problem but be sure, if the tires kiss- the sidewalls will be damaged.
Good ride, at my weight, I run at 90psi. G670 max load is at 125psi
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #6

New Tires

I've decided on Toyo M154 tires. They are very close in size to the Michelins and all though they are considerably cheaper (about 1700.00 out the door at Les Schwab in Idaho Falls, ID), the other big factor is availability. I can get them put on on Monday when I travel through the city. All others were a week away and didn't fit the schedule.

I will post an early assessment when I get to Michigan.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flossy....I went with the same tire. I can't wait to hear your comments. You can go on Toyo's web site and see their weight/psi chart for your rig. The lower psi will be better handling from my experience. My weight calls for a minimum of 95 psi. When I picked it up from the tire dealer...that had it 110 psi and it handled poorly.
Anxious to hear from you.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #8

I went on the website but the load inflation table didn't have the 22.5 in tires. Do you have a link that does?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #9

Charles D.

Try looking at the Bridgestones in that size. I recently put Bridgestone 295/80R 22.5's on my coach. The size matches the original Michelin tires including the same pressure ratings at a lot less money. They don't ride quite as soft (comfortably) as the Michelins did, but they feel and handle well.

These are R250 series Bridgestones. The tire chart is hard to find, but I finally found it on the Bridgestone website to make sure I was carrying the correct pressure for the weight of the coach. Your Bridgestone dealer might have a copy of the chart, mine didn't.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flossy...here is the link. Sorry it took so long to post. I will PM this to you also.

toyo--rv_inflation_tables.pdf
Old 06-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #11

Emeryts, thank you so much for the table. I got a table at Les Schwab but it's generic and the numbers are slightly different. I feel more comfortable having the Toyo table. I had them put all the tires at 90 PSI which is fine but I can lower the fronts to 85 and may raise the rears to 95 for additional margin of safety.

I have only driven about 50 miles so far and they seem like they want to wander a little bit, probably most of that is me. The steering feels a little lighter than with the Michelins. I may have to go to a steering stabilizer.

Thanks again
Dave
Old 06-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flossy, your welcome. In my opion, they are not as good of tire as the Michelin's....as far as handling goes. I started a thread on this issue, but don't how to attach it to this post. The michelin's seem to hug the road much better with no road wander. I did lower the psi some which helped and I am going to lower even more...but I can still notice a difference with the wandering...kinda of like driving on ice. The cost savings was good as I only put around 2000 miles a year..not many miles.

Let me know if you find any secrets to handle better.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #13

New Tires

I've logged about 800 miles on the new Toyos so far. They seem to be performing fine. We just came through a lot of rain and wind and they held the road fine. The steering seems a little light, kind of like the first time you drove a car with power steering, especially a big car like Buicks, Cadillacs, of course, you have to be old enough to remember those days. Anyway I'm getting the feel of it and trying not to over-correct.

When I get where I'm going I'm going to be looking into some kind of steering enhancement - steer safe, safety steer, etc., along with possibly other suspension upgrades. Do any of you experts out there have any opinions on what upgrades are the most bang for the buck? The only thing my MA has is the 2 1/2 inch front sway bar that came with it. I am definately going to replace the shocks with either Bilsteins or Koni FSDs. I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dave,
If your happy with how the coach rides and handles, I would do nothing. If you have concerns, share them and recommendations can be made. There are many after market devices for the chassis. One can spend a lot of $s on this.

When considering a steering stabilizer, consider only those that the driver can recenter, from the driver's seat. I have this and it is a feature that is well worth the investment. Blue Ox and Super Steer have this feature.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote