Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #1

New Tires

We are new to the rv world and would like some advice on Tires, right now there are Bridgestones on it. We would like a good quality tire at a reasonable price. We have a 84 Winnebago 33ft.
Thanks Ken and Cindy
Syndee40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #2

depends ...

First of all I encourage you to have the unit aligned. There is probably a shop in your area that does alignment on school busses etc ... they should be able to handle your rig ... getting the rig aligned will prolong the life of your new tires and improve the way it drives.

If you do not drive the rig many miles and price is your major concern ... then you can purchase truck tires of the same size and load rating. The ride will be harsher and it may be slightly harder to drive than if it had RV tires ...

If you plan to drive the rig lots of miles then I suggest that you bite the bullet and buy tires that are designed for RV's. I have had both Goodyear and Michelin RV tires ... both are good ... I have a slight preference for Michelins ... (I just put new tires on my rig ... I chose Michelins)

And don't forget to have your shock absorbers checked. It may be time to have them replaced. Faulty shocks can cause your tires to wear out prematurely.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Been pricing them the last few days

225/70R19.5

Michelins between $2600 and $2800 for six mounted and balanced old disposed of

Goodyear between $2500 and $2700

Continentals $1550
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm guessing your 84 has 16" wheels. Choose your replacement tire based on the size and the load carrying capacity, which will be stamped on the side of the tire. You must have a tire rated to carry the weight that is on the axle, so each front tire carries half the front axle weight and each rear carries 1/4 the rear axle weight. Tires with the capacity you need will probably be designated LT (Light Truck) tires and they will not ride any rougher than any other tire that has the necessary load carrying capacity.

Bridgestones are fine, as are Goodrich, Goodyear, General, Yokohama, Kumho, Nitto, Toyo and others I can't think of right now. See what the local dealers have in your size and load range and then let's discuss which alternative will suit you best.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #5

Hammer"
I did some shopping also,an went with cooper roadmaster 245/70r/19.5 they are G rated an look good to me , $1260 for six. my first trip comes in3 week's, Tenn to Iowa, I'll find out about the ride then.
charlie
charlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck on your trip. The Coopers should do fine for you.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #7

New Tires

Hammr, Thanks for the prices they will help in our selection.
SkiGramp, If we decide to go with truck tires you siad that the ride will be harsher and harder to handle, What do you mean by harsher? Not has smooth?
Gary, Will get prices and selection aroundin the area this week< We are getting close to being able to drive it and once that happens will be ready for tires.
Thanks Ken and Cindy
Old 08-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #8

it is my understanding ...

It is my understanding that the sidewalls of truck tires are quite a bit stiffer than RV tires ... which leads to a harsher ride ... it is also my understanding that the stiffer sidewalls also contributes to poorer handling ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
No matter what brand of tires you buy. Those tires are going to be mounted on a truck chassis(RV).

I doubt if very many if anyone can feel through the seat of their pants going down the road. The ride difference between one brand or another the way they ride smoother or harsher.

Higher price and name brand doesn't always relate to a better tire.
I had two blow outs with Michelin and no blow outs with Bridgestone.
Now running on G670 Goodyears.

So buy what will carry the weight you have with a little cushion.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #10

I think we are going to go with Gladiators which are Bridgestones at least for right now. Hubby was laid off last week after 26 years and right now we can't even drive it because the tires that are on it are sun rotted. We would like to at least get it up and running so we can get use to driving it. That way will be ready for the spring. Thanks for all of the replies.
Cindy
Old 08-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Triker is correct on price vs. quality ..

I have nothing against Goodyear and Michelin , but a lot of that price is paying for the name and big advertising budgets ...
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote