Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
New tires

My original tires on my '07 Revolution are now 4 1/2 years old with 42K on them. I am thinking of breaking up the expense of buying 6 tires over 3 years by purchasing 2 new tires for the front, then rotating them back after a year and putting 2 more new ones on the front, then doing it again the following year.
Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Gary and Norma Goldman
'07 Revolution
'07 Honda CRV

Ggrvusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
That sounds like a plan. I am in the process of doing that with the 8 tires on my Mountian Aire. I have two to go, the tag axle tires. I started with two new on the steer axle, then moved those back to to the drive axle, with 2 new ones on the other side and 2 new on the steer axle. The 2 best old ones from the drive axle went to the tag. Next I will buy 2 new and repeat the process, moving front to rear with the new on front.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP

allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think it an excellent plan particularly since your tires are getting about 10k per year---they actually may be in really fine shape----meaning leaving those on the road for a few more years/miles is not problematic IMHO
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
I don,t see the advantage to just replacing them as they age or wear out. Usually tires are rated or designated stear tires.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #5
Your tires have a lot of life left in them, assuming they have all the same date code on them. By doing the 2 at a time thing you will never have a complete new set of tires. Why not save your $$ and do them all at the same time,JMHO.
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
We have done that for years with our OTR trucks. It assures new, safer tires on the steer axle, keeps new enough tires on the drives and if something does happen you do not run the risk of losing control. The down side is you have to watch the date codes very close, you do not want a blow out on an old tire on a motorhome as it wll likely do a lot of damage to the motorhome. Watch VERY close for cracks in the sidewalls, if they get deeper than 2/32 get them off at once no matter how much tread or the date code. Motorhomes tend to crack more because they sit a lot, tires are meant to roll and will last a LOT more miles if they are used regularly. The cracks are the critical indicator that you need to replace the tires. all just my opinion and experience.
2015 Entegra
Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
I would just put the money away for them. Time wise, you have plenty and if the tread is still good you have another easy year or two. It seems to me you'd be giving up 25% of the tire!!!
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The downside is that you are throwing away some perfectly good tires 2-3 years before their time. That's expensive at RV tire prices.

If you feel you must spread it out, replace the fronts one year and the rears the next, say at 6 years and 7 years. Bank the money you would have spent in the 4th year for two tires and use it later.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The downside is that you are throwing away some perfectly good tires 2-3 years before their time. That's expensive at RV tire prices.
Agree. The concern is money, so I don't understand this logic.

2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote