Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

New tires and new TST507

An getting new tires (9R22.5) and new TST507 TPMS. My Alcoa wheels are old, and no longer made. They are 6 bolt, 22.5x7.5, with tiny 2" hand holes. Currently using the Alcoa valve stem extensions. Was hoping to get away from the extensions and move into regular valve stems, but after talking to a TST dealer, it appears that I will not be able to set it up properly with out using short stems and 180 degree extensions on the outside wheel. The outside stem on the rear will not be able to extend thru the hand hole because one would not be able to place a air chuck into the hole and air up the tire thru the 507. My air chuck has to be a 180 degree reverse to do that thru that small hole and with the 507 installed it will not line up right. So I will have to use shorter valve stems that do not go thru the hand hold and will have to put a 180 extension on them.

I understand what they are telling me, but and thoroughly confused and don't want to end up with a cobbled up mess. Anyone offer me any ideas. Remember, we're talking skinny 7.5 wheels and not the 8.5 most of you have!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
We had a totally flat tire on the inner back wheel. Didn't notice it because we were parked on jacks. When we went to leave I noticed the outside tire looked a little low on air. I checked it and it read 92 lbs.! So I got underneath the coach and saw that the inner tire was so flat it lost it's seal. Had to call Good Sams and they had a tire company come out. He took both wheels off and confirmed that the tire was fine. The valve stem extension had come a little loose and slowly let all the air out. He said the extensions take a lot of abuse and eventually will start to leak. He said most truckers take them off because of the problems they have with them. He took ours off on both sides but we do have room through the openings in the wheel to get an air hose and tire gauge to the inner tires. I don't blame you for being nervous about them.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
I don't blame you for being nervous about them.
Not nervous about the extensions, cause mine are Alcoa extensions, but doing tires and the tpms, I wanted to do it without the extensions and set it up properly like all the tractor trailers I use to drive. But it appears that it can't be done when using the tpms. So maybe the best deal is to use short valve stems and use a extension when I want to add air??? Would be a pain, but it would work.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 'Crossfire' by Dual Dynamics is a pretty quality system. I've used it for 3 years and recommend it. DriVer (a very reputable contributor on this site) has used it much longer than I have - drop him a note and ask about applicability to your set-up.
It's worth looking into.
P.S. I had a rubber valve extension fail as well and was/am concerned about extensions. These Crossfires are fancy extensions, I keep an eye on them and so far no problems.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Have you checked out TST's new internal sensors for the 507? They claim to have a 7 yr battery life. I love my 507, just reprogrammed them yesterday after rotating tires. Easy Peasy. If I was having new tires installed, I would go with the internal sensors.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Have you checked out TST's new internal sensors for the 507? .
At $79 each, I don't think so. And they only come with 1 inch, 2 inch, or 3 inch valve stems anyway.

Will stick with the external 507s and use regular valve stems in the front and short ones on the rear outside that do not extend thru the hand holes. I think that will work okay. If I have to change wheels around, will just have to deal with it!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
The 'Crossfire' by Dual Dynamics is a pretty quality system.
My son lost two trailers on his tractor trailer big rig because of Crossfires. One tire blew and took out the Crossfire system, and down went the other tire! No way will I run them! Company I retired from tried them out and decided they were not any good on their 200 plus trailers that they ran. Told us to keep hitting the tires with a hammer, that it was safer that the Crossfire system.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
At $79 each, I don't think so. And they only come with 1 inch, 2 inch, or 3 inch valve stems anyway.
On 2nd thought, maybe I will stick to my external flow through sensors.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #9

I have the Tst internal sensor just haven't put them in yet. On my Accuride wheels the stem holds an adapter in and the adapter holds the sensor. Bought the 5 inch stems from dually valve .com so no extensions to leak on the inner wheel. Hope to have them in soon. I'll let you know how it all goes.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires