Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 04:22 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New tires - front end shimmy

Put new Goodyear 661 tires on my 39' journey, drove great prior to change now I get a steering wheel shimmy at about 55mph I was told they put beads in tires. Have not talked to installer yet any suggestion

Thanks. Jim
jimallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 04:37 AM   #2

Look at each tire and wheel and see If there is a line around the tire, near the wheel edge.

The distance between the line and the wheel must be even, all the way around. If not, they need to dismount and remount the tire.

I had, but lost, a Goodyear tire guide explaining all of the ways to center a tire on the wheel and the wheel to the hub.

Search the Goodyear site and find and print it, before going back to the tire shop.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:39 AM   #3

It may well be a warranty issue. Sometimes one can get a bad tire. Take it back, and describe what it acts like. Could be a slipped belt. In semis, I have had it happen during the life of a tire, and I once had one slipped when new.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:43 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
In April I had 6 new Michelin's put on our Journey and I had the Centermatic wheel balance disk installed. The ride was a vast improvement. What I like about the Centermatic's is that they not only balance the tire and rim ASM, but the rotor and hub ASM also.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:54 AM   #5

New tires - front end shimmy

I tried the beads in my Goodyear 670's 12 ozs each on all six they ride great, centramatics and beads work on the same principle except a whole lot more expensive. I would take it back could be a bad tire.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #6

you didn't mention the size, but it could be a factory deflect. i have a bad bounce on my front with 22.5 tires. was going to use the bead balancing but just reverse my rears and fronts and it solve my problem. did it myself.
allend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimallred View Post
Put new Goodyear 661 tires on my 39' journey, drove great prior to change now I get a steering wheel shimmy at about 55mph I was told they put beads in tires. Have not talked to installer yet any suggestion
Thanks. Jim
I suggest:
1.) You talk to the installer.
2.) If he has no answer, (or if you get only mambo-jumbo from him but no fix), ask questions here.

IMO because the cause could be any one of many different things methinks you asked here prematurely.

Good luck.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I had the same problem, tires were out of balance.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You've got a tire issue. Have them rebalance the tires. Watch them do it and watch the tire for "run out".....wobbling on the rim.

Question.....How far did you drive after the tire install. The balancing beads are installed in a bag. It can take several miles and a few starts and stops to get the bags to open and function as designed.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #10

I had a shimmy in the front end of my coach. I unknowingly caused it myself when I removed the tire to install a new entry key pad. With hub piloted rims centering devices on the lug studs help center the rim on the hub. There is a little play between the hub and rim and gravity naturally will make the rim sit on top of the hub and have a gap at the bottom causing the rim to be a little off center. The installer should have used centering pins, I would ask them. If they did the tire needs to be remounted on the rim. Some tires are more out of balance then others even when bought at the same time. My problem got worse with speed and started at about 40 mph and got worse from there. My current coach has IFS and is really susceptible to imbalance, I had a really noticeable shimmy that wasn't there before I took the tire off. I will note I took the tires off my 04 journey several times and did not use centering pins or balancers and it was just fine, but it was also a straight axel, don't know which you have. I bought some centering sleeves of Amazon, tru balance inserts and Centramatic balancers and installed them on all four corners. The shimmy is gone and the coach has way less vibration/shake if that makes sense, it is a lot smoother overall and I thought it was pretty good before. The ceiling fan in the living room no longer squeaks going down the road either.

Tags
tires