Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #1

New Tires in Phoenix

I want to share my first experience in purchasing tires for my motorhome. My previous tires were Michelins 235x80x22.5. Last December, CW quoted me $4K out the door and that included a $300 discount special being offered. On that same day, I also received a quote from a commercial truck shop (I don't recall the shop name) for a Goodyear tire that the sales man called a bus tire 245x75x22.5 for $2,800 - $2,900 out the door. So I realized that I would be purchasing from a commercial tire shop.

Not to start the discussion between American vs. Chinese/Japanese, I decided to go with Toyo M154, and got quotes from 3 shops.

A commercial truck tire shop called Roberts quoted me $2991 out the door.

Firebird, a tire shop who advertises specializes in Motorhome tires, quoted me $2784 out the door. That quote also included something to do with spacers, sealers, new valve stems and new valve extenders.

The last shop I called was Phoenix Tire, 52nd Ave & Buckeye Rd. Their quote was $2,475, mount, balance, and new valve stems, (spacers & new valve extenders not needed.) $300 less than Firebird. The tires were $350 a piece.

Well this shop is a commercial truck shop, and will treat your motorhome as a commercial work truck. I wanted new valve extenders, but they insisted I didn't need them. I have a feeling I'll have to replace those sometime in the near future. When it was time to pay, amount due was $150 more than quoted, and the sales man was conveniently not around.
So I got suckered there, although still $150 less than the next higher quote. Then I went outside to leave, all four fenders had black hand prints. While the owners of this shop claim quality work at a reasonable price, the employees surely don't care. When I got home and check my air pressure, I realized one of the center caps on the rear was in a position that extended one of the valve extenders to its max with just a few threads reaching to attach the nut and secure it. The cap should have been removed and repositioned in its proper location. In hind site, I'm whishing I had went to Firebird even though it would have cost $150 more. You get what you pay for!
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Sorry to hear of your adventure RVluvin. Those people that used to stand over their rig and supervise every little bit of maintenance used to annoy me. Thru similar experiences as yours, I have become one of them. It's as though management at these places doesn't care so the workers don't care and since I'm the only one that does, I'm going to supervise the work.

Tags
tires