Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #1

new tires may not be new

just left local rv shop while there a guy came in with his dp asked to have the generator serviced,he said while its in the shop just check things out make sure every thing is working properly I'm taking the grandkids to Disney next month we live in N.H.Thefirst thing the tech did was check the tires they are junk side walls all split looked like they shouldn't hold air. he purchased new michelins 3 years ago and only put aprox. 3000miles on them.Ichecked the born on date on the tires 3305 they were 5 years old when he bought them! he was going back to where he purchased them don't Know how he made out,what a shame. lesson learned check mfg. date on tires before you buy.
rick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
tires

That is why it pays to be a member of FMCA and use their Michelin Tire Program. You are guranteed that the tires are no more than 6 weeks from manufacture!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #3

I am in the process of gathering quotes for tires now. I have told every dealer that I will not accept tires more than two months old. Some say no problem. Others have told me to shop elsewhere. Some have tried to argue that, as long as tires are stored in a warehouse it doesn't matter. I tell them it matters to me.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
That is why it pays to be a member of FMCA and use their Michelin Tire Program. You are guranteed that the tires are no more than 6 weeks from manufacture!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Is that right about the 6 month age? I looked at the site but couldn't find that, only pricing info. Can you steer me in the exact place to look? Thanks.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see how any manufacturer could guarantee tires less than 6 weeks old. Tires are made in large batches, and some less-popular sizes don't get a batch made every 6 weeks. Maybe not even every 6 months!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I ordered our 305/70 Michelin fronts there were none in the country according to Michelin. They came in within a couple months and were less than a month old. I liked that.
I tried going through Les Schwab first but they wouldn't even tell me the dates.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post

Happy Trails!

Darryl
I've never seen that anywhere, not even in the magazine nor online.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I just bought 2 tires 2 months while on a trip. I went thru the FMCA"s Michelin Tire
program. They are 235/80R22.5 XRV and where at the price listed by the Michelin
Advantage program thru FMCA. The tires and install was booked 10 days before
arriving a the Michelin dealer. Foolish me, I did not check or ask about the tire's age.
After arriving back home I found out the tires where made in 2010. The dealer is 800
miles from me in Sioux Fall,SD, too far to go back. Buyer beware ! FMCA, I would say,
does not guarantee tire age. Be sure you check with the dealer on the tire age or they will pass on what ever tires they have in stock. The warranty does not cover
"Ozone or weather checking" which is usually the reason many of us RV'er have to change tires.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #9

I am in the process of buying new tire to replace my 2005 Michelin XRV's. I also have 235/80R22.5 sized tires. I am also purchasing through the FMCA program and the savings is substantial. There is no guarantee in the program as far as tire age! Got a call from my dealer yesterday telling me that he can find 4 with 2013 dates but can not locate the other 2. He said that Michelin has a 6 week back order on those tires. Fortunately my dealer is just as concerned about the dates as I am. He can locate what I need in the XZE tires. The specs for those tires are identical except that the XZE has 3/32 more tread. Hopefully my "baby" will have new shoes next week.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #10

Where do you find the born on date of a tire. News to me but I will check them from now on. C.
C. Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
I purchased my 295/80R22.5 through FMCA I ask my dealer to be sure they were fresh. He agreed they should be. one month old when they hit his floor. Great price and fresh tires.I was pleased.
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Harper View Post
Where do you find the born on date of a tire. News to me but I will check them from now on. C.
On the sidewalls you will find 4 digits. The first 2 are year and last 2 week of the year he were produced. You may have to look at the inside sidewall. I think they are only stamped on one side.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Just my personal experience, but I can't believe the short life span of the sidewalls of Michelin tires. We traded our last motorhome, our '87 32' CruiseAir, to the now-previous owner of our boat harbor for slip and storage time. When removing all our stuff from the storage compartments, we drug out the original spare tire. It looked like it had probably been used as a spare for a hundred or so miles maybe. Otherwise, it lived its life in that storage compartment, out of the UV rays of the sun. And yet the sidewalls were cracked so bad it wouldn't hold air. There's 6 original Goodyear Marathon's on our 18 year old Party Cruiser's trailer, and 3 of the original 5 Goodyear Workhorse tires on our 10 year old Chaparral's trailer. Not a one of them even has a HINT of a sidewall crack. So why is a 25 year old barely used Michelin that's seen maybe 5 hours of sunlight in it's life turning to dust? (disclaimer, I'm not all that fond of Goodyears either, but not for sidewall reasons)
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
When I ordered our 305/70 Michelin fronts there were none in the country according to Michelin. They came in within a couple months and were less than a month old. I liked that.
I tried going through Les Schwab first but they wouldn't even tell me the dates.
I would never buy tires not knowing the date. Good for you on being aware.
I bought tires last June from les schwab, and I walked right in the commercial tire department and asked to see my tires. Then I walked up to them and read the date. They were only a few weeks old. I told them to then proceed as scheduled. Lol. Maybe they thought I was crazy, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do.

Tags
tires