Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
keep the "2006 Winnebago Aspect" put new tires on it when it is paid off put the payments in the savings and keep the 2006. I am from the school of, "if you need to get a loan for a toy then you can not afford it"!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Another thought on replacing tires. If you are able to wait on replacing your tires until sale or trade-in, the price you get will be discounted because the tires will need to be replaced. Your best bet is to use safety as your decision maker. The money will wash either way. YMMV

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I asked a local truck tire shop, Petes tire about doing an internal inspection of my tires. Was told it is a waste of time and money, unless you are going to do an xray of the tire. If you don't see anything on the outside your not going to see anything on the inside.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
With all due respect, Pete sounds like a ninny. Even I can look at a demounted tire and tell, for example, if it's been run underinflated for any length of time.

Michelin is practically a Church in RVing circles, and if they say get it done that's good enough for me.

But you do need to take the rig somewhere that knows what it's doing.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #19

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate that all of you in the forum come down on the side of 'safe is best'. I had the tires examined by local tire shop who said they looked 'ok' for now, but to have them checked in the Spring. When I will prob replace them for peace of mind

Thanks
Linda
Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
keep the "2006 Winnebago Aspect" put new tires on it when it is paid off put the payments in the savings and keep the 2006. I am from the school of, "if you need to get a loan for a toy then you can not afford it"!
I'm betting your class reunions are VERY "intimate" gatherings.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigarazz View Post
We have been planning to purchase a "new to us" Class A in 3 years - 2016 to replace our 2006 Winnebago Aspect. Our plan was to check out the new RV's this year at Hershey show, and then decide what we would look to purchase used about 3 years from now.

However, the Aspect will need 4 new tires in the Spring of 2014. If Michelins are about $600 each, that's $2,400.

Should we just sell the Aspect and buy a new rig? We are looking at a Class A 30 to 32 feet, for vacation trips, not fulltiming. Prob something like the Winne Vista or Forest River FR3

Linda
Linda
Not a lot of people get a new coach because they need tires!
But it's your money spend it like you want to.

BTW, if you decide to get Michelins, check Sam's Club's prices, (I bought 6 for considerably less $$ than the FMCA program price).

Mel
'96 Safari,
(on the 3rd set of 6 tires)
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #22

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post

I'm betting your class reunions are VERY "intimate" gatherings.
My thoughts exactly..... Lol

I do agree that a cash purchase can save you a lot of money. Regardless, the reality is that credit used wisely can also be a good option.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #23

The issue is not buying the new RV because we need tires, but rather because current RV will not meet our needs in the anticipated future. While I wish I could buy it outright, I would rather 'rent' this new RV from the bank for a few years, and then sell it. I'm anticipating that age and health, as well as changing interests will limit, to some degree, how long we will travel.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Michelin Tire Program Prices to FMCA Members

If you are an FMCA member the 19.5 XRV tire prices run at $352. A lot of folks join FMCA just to buy tires under the program.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigarazz View Post
Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate that all of you in the forum come down on the side of 'safe is best'. I had the tires examined by local tire shop who said they looked 'ok' for now, but to have them checked in the Spring. When I will prob replace them for peace of mind

Thanks
Linda
Sounds good, assuming that was an off-rim internal inspection and not just a look at the tread etc.

FYI:
Someone posted just today about a five-year-old tire's tread separation/blowout having done "only" $2,000.00 worth of damage to the rig. And that rig was stored inside and out of the weather.
link to thread.

Be safe, and have fun!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
The rule of thumb is replace tires after five years old,
I have yet to see any of the tire manufacturers engineers say this, so where, in the tire manufacturers literature/warranty info is this stated?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Linda
Not a lot of people get a new coach because they need tires!
But it's your money spend it like you want to.
Well, I was trying to save the work and trouble of replacing all the filters and coolant in our 2002 DSDP by buying a new DSDP, but my wife stopped that!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
With all due respect, Pete sounds like a ninny. Even I can look at a demounted tire and tell, for example, if it's been run underinflated for any length of time.

Michelin referringically a Church in RVing circles, and if they say get it done that's good enough for me.

But you do need to take the rig somewhere that knows what it's doing.
Inspecting tires that have been run underinflated is one thing and inspecting tires for age defects is another. Tires that have been run underinflated will show internal signs of damage. What I was referring to were tires that are being inspected for age. Tires that have aged will normally show signs of it on the outside, before it can be seen on the inside. If the coach has been owned by the same owner for the life of the tires, and they know the tires have never been run underinflated it is a waste of money to do an internal inspection. However, If the MH was recently acquired and the history of the tires is unknown then the tires should have an internal inspection or replaced.
By the way the correct name of the company that I asked about the internal inspection is Pete's Road Service, they have nine service facilities in Southern CA. Also, as Mr_D posted there is no documentation that any tire manufacturer says tires have to be replaced after five years.

Chuck

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires