Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
New to a 45'

Just moved up to a 45' tag. And am very curious as to the do's and don'ts related to highway/road travel? I never really had to worry about my 40'. I pretty much drove where I wanted without much concern to size.

Where can and can't you drive the 45 footer?

When planning a route of travel what things should I pay special attention to?

How limited are RV parks when trying to schedule a rig of this size?

I know I am going to love the new MH and may be over-thinking this but any experience and counsel would be very much appreciated.

Feel free to provide any additional information you think will help with the transition.

- Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #2

Rick,
Woodalls camping directory for each RV Park they list will list as "big rigs welcome" those that can accomodare the larger rigs. RV Park reviews.com will often note the size of sites. We find with Woodalls there are a bunch of parks that are not necessaily listed but it is a good starting point for us. We also telephone or email some parks to see if they can accomodate us.

bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
One thing that we encountered when relying on the Woodalls directory is that some campgrounds would indicate they could accommodate big rigs, but when you told them you were a 45 footer, they couldn't. My take: the Woodalls directory is a good start in terms of culling the campgrounds that can't accommodate a big rig. From there, it's best to check with the campground directly.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Rick can you lift your tag axle if you are making a slow tight turn? Also, do you have a separate airbag pressure control regulator for your tag axle? Mine is located in the engine compartment and I can vary the pressure to increase or decrease the weight on the tax tires which in turn changes the weight on the drive axle and a little bit on the steer axle. The other thing is you want to change the oil in the tag wet hubs about every 30K miles and check the level before each trip. I use Mobil 1 gear oil in mine. The other thing is that the tag on mine uses drum brakes and not disc brakes as on the other wheels and requires that the air brake unit be greased on a routine basis with a CLAY based grease and not a soap based grease. You only pump in a little grease so it doesn't leak out on your tag brakes when they heat up.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #5

Alot of resorts list on their online sites and brochures that the only take lets say 40 ft max. But if you call them some will take your 45 footer.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #6

We moved like you from 40 to 43 with tag 2 years ago. Travel height is the biggest difference to me 13' 4". Turning radius slightly longer and of course added weight. Mike above covered the others. Enjoy we have.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The other thing is to not tell them it is 45'. I know it is a man thing but tell them it is 43' then they will let you in. I have never had any problems finding a campground
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
The other thing is to not tell them it is 45'. I know it is a man thing but tell them it is 43' then they will let you in. I have never had any problems finding a campground
yep its not like they are going to go out there with a tape measure. This is a good suggestion.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
yep its not like they are going to go out there with a tape measure. This is a good suggestion.

So, wait.... Size DOES matter after all?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
So, wait.... Size DOES matter after all?
yep. the smaller you are the more campgrounds you can have
Old 03-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
With some CGs it's not the space its self that is too small, it's getting to it and out of it. We have a favorite CG that can fit anything once you get there. However there are some S turns getting in and out that require some backing and jockying in a truly "big rig." We had some friends in a Newell, towing an H2 Hummer...should have charged admission to watch him try to leave.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #12

Rick, California has restrictions on any motorhome over 40'. If you are stopped on a restricted road it can become very expensive.

Before driving in California read and understand the following links:

45' Motorhomes

45' Bus & Motorhome Map

45' Bus & Motorhome Restricted Routes
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOHOO, what a ride!"
HohoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #13

Look up.
Always.
You are now in the rarefied air of the stratosphere where few vehicles play - especially vehicles with full paint jobs and air horns and the like up there. Off the main roads tree branches can be your biggest nightmare. Main street small town USA can be particularly problematic in some areas of the country. Smaller state roads in tree heavy areas can be troublesome. Of course, neighborhoods present unique challenges.

Weight. You are now 10k-20k lbs heavier than before. Those 5-10 tons can make a big difference. Think bridges, cattle guards, main streets w/ weight limits.

Of course, national park CGs inside the NP are for the most part off the list. You'll be in private CGs outside the NPs.

The newer WMSCs are curbing their lots to make it challenging if you tow. Plain old rural WMs (not the super centers) can be particularly challenging more times than not.

Did I say look up? Especially when pulling into CGs. Also don't ask if they are "big rig friendly" ask specifically what's the largest rigs they have accommodated where the driver was pleased. Let them tell you size first. Some CGs think 35ft is a big rig. All too many CGs have no earthly concept what a 45er is.

Carry an extendable painter's pole marked with a Sharpie to your rig's exact height. You'll use that often in CGs and the like to confirm clearance.

All in all, not really a big deal but you generally won't be able to just head off to see that giant ball of string display or that awesome looking BBQ joint down the road or follow that interesting billboard advertisement without, possibly, a little pre-investigation first.

BTW - Some CGs will measure you. The Jackson, WY downtown CG has banned 45ers and 3-axle 5ers. They will definitely measure.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #14

Does anyone know of a book ...out there to buy... "Big rig friendly" Besides woodalls. Appreciate any info
Marc