Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-31-2016, 08:11 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lots of great answers here so I just want to say Welcome to the forum. There is hundreds of years of experience here and with varying opinions of course. We live in ours so the jacks are down for long periods of time.

Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 08:43 AM   #16
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
That's like saying leaving a car out in the weather will protect it as well as leaving it in a garage?
My mistake. When I reread the OP post, I realized it applied to the "storage" of the motorhome and not while parked and using it. No need to level the coach in storage. That being said, do people who sit in one rv park for months at a time sitting on their leveling jacks have any problems?

2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #17
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
My mistake. When I reread the OP post, I realized it applied to the "storage" of the motorhome and not while parked and using it. No need to level the coach in storage. That being said, do people who sit in one rv park for months at a time sitting on their leveling jacks have any problems?

Great point! The answer is NO. When you full time you have to have the levelers down if staying extended time on that park other wise your refrigerator would not be level. Some coaches have air bags that would leak down.

The hydraulic rams which is what most levelers are have wipes on them which lubricates the shaft as you retract them. There is no difference whether it is in storage or occupied, it does not hurt anything if the levelers are extended and pressure taken off the tires and air bags if you did not want to dump the air. If you do dump the air, it still takes pressure off your tires.

What for have levelers if you are not going to use them.

And for those that live on farms and have farm equipment with hydraulic rams such as front end loaders, backhoes etc etc. Me coming from a farm never worried because the front end loader was down and the rams extended. We never had problems with the seals. Now if you are not going to use them for years? That might be different, but just because equipment sets for days or a couple of months it is not going to rust. They already have a film of hydraulic oil protecting it.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 38'
Neway Freightliner chassis, 2016 GMC Terrain toad
3126-E Caterpillar 330 hp
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:45 PM   #18

Most quality hydraulic shafts have a hard chrome finish. This protects from corrosion and adds a very thin hard layer to the surface.

Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:59 PM   #19
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I see construction equipment left all the time with hydraulic cylinders exposed for weeks or months.....in fact it seems some backhoe arms and such are fully retracted on purpose, which leaves maximum hydraulic cylinder exposed.....and they are in the dirtiest environment possible. Are they made any differently?
I said it was my biggest concern, I didn't say that made it a truly big concern. However, that equipment does experience failures, and leaks. Ultimately though, it's an environment thing. Where I live we have to deal with very fine silt dust. It can be very abrasive, yet so fine you don't notice it until you realize that your white car is looking a bit beige. Taking a towel to wipe it off of the shafts will help prevent it from possibly getting past the wipers on the jacks.

On the other side of this however is an even more abusive environment: off road racing. Think about all of the motorcycles, quads, mountain bikes, etc. racing in sandy mud, deserts, etc. I grew up racing motorcycles, and then mountain bikes. I can only think of one time where I had an upper fork seal failure, and that was probably the worst race I've ever been in. I can't imagine my jacks ever experiencing that level of dirt and debris.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #20
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"quadman".....Can you tell us your thinking as to why you want the jacks down in storage?

Just so you know, your air bags have a stop inside of them. When you air down, the coach comes down on the stop. Unless you're parking on un level ground and need it to be level, why not leave the jacks up.

I'm in the same camp as some others, I don't want the unneeded pressure on the system or the exposed shafts. When I get home, I cover my tires, dump my air, cover my mirrors and wipers and plug the coach in.

Is the correct way to store a DP is with the air dumped? I do not put jacks down.
Ed, Tess & Little Jazzy
2017 London Aire DP 4553 2014 Buick Enclave
Blue Ox with Air Force One
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
"freen03".....Most DP's over a period of time, some one day, some several weeks, will lose air and the coach will start to go down, usually unevenly. You should dump your air when storing. The only time I don't dump my air is when overnighting somewhere and leaving early in the morning.

Dumping your air adds stability and gets the steps closer to the ground for easy access.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #22
Dumping the air does add stability, but it does not level the coach.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 38'
Neway Freightliner chassis, 2016 GMC Terrain toad
3126-E Caterpillar 330 hp
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote