Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMHO you are doing it right. I researched then searched for a couple years. I was ready to purchase a Class C when just out of curiosity my DW and I looked at a nice Class A. Try to get something like this - The seller of the Class A offered NADA (base-no options selected) and subtracted $2,000 to cover a repair allowance to fixing anything an inspection found wrong (and after the RV passed state inspection). Very fair - I actually spent way more than double the $2,000 fixing things, but sent him a check for some of the maintenance allowance just because he was so honest. A few thoughts I discovered:
1) private sellers that have been trying to sell for a period of time can tell if you are a serious buyer and if you have $$ (a lot of lookers without $$).
2) private sellers really want to make the deal. They don't want a low ball, but a fair deal. (Vs. commercial need to make a profit).
3) Don't jump on a deal - look without commitment, be truthful (don't leave sellers with false hope).
4) You will know when you find the right RV for you.
5) Fall/Winter prices are significantly lower than summer prices - but make sure the unit is winterized and no roof leaks.
Keep telling yourself that spending this much $$ should be fun - good luck.

tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
You can save yourself some bucks and get a Class A DP by purchasing used. We purchased a 7 year old coach that was barely lived in. There are a lot of really nice DP's out there for sale.

Take a look at PPL Motorhomes at Used RVs for Sale - PPL Motor Homes After you select Diesel Pushers or Class A's, near the top of the page look for Pictures/Floorplans. Set it to ON.

Also take a look at Quality Motor Coach at Quality Motor Coach Inventory Most of their vehicles are well kept bank repo's.

Follow your dreams, and you will have no regrets. Life is too short.

Thanks for the links, we will definitely check them out. We haven't seen any older DPs with floorplans anything like the one we just saw, but we aren't averse to spending less money - means more available for travel! As for following our dreams, I agree with you totally - it's just that we have to figure out what they really are!

Robyn

Old 09-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
IMHO you are doing it right. I researched then searched for a couple years. I was ready to purchase a Class C when just out of curiosity my DW and I looked at a nice Class A. Try to get something like this - The seller of the Class A offered NADA (base-no options selected) and subtracted $2,000 to cover a repair allowance to fixing anything an inspection found wrong (and after the RV passed state inspection). Very fair - I actually spent way more than double the $2,000 fixing things, but sent him a check for some of the maintenance allowance just because he was so honest. A few thoughts I discovered:
1) private sellers that have been trying to sell for a period of time can tell if you are a serious buyer and if you have $$ (a lot of lookers without $$).
2) private sellers really want to make the deal. They don't want a low ball, but a fair deal. (Vs. commercial need to make a profit).
3) Don't jump on a deal - look without commitment, be truthful (don't leave sellers with false hope).
4) You will know when you find the right RV for you.
5) Fall/Winter prices are significantly lower than summer prices - but make sure the unit is winterized and no roof leaks.
Keep telling yourself that spending this much $$ should be fun - good luck.
We have a good friend who started camping as a kid and gradually moved up from popups to a Class A in his "old age" (55). He was our first advisor and gave us similar advice to yours...plus he told us that we should never be afraid to walk away from a deal, because there will always be another one, so that's been our mantra as we go through this learning experience. The first unit we could see ourselves living in is a private sale on consignment with a dealer - the owner is under water on her note, though, and can't afford to come down on her price too much. In the meantime, we've found some new, out of model year coaches that are close in price, and the dealers are willing to add in some of the accessories that we want, just to get the coach off the lot. We're going to look at more used DPs and wait to see what happens. Our good friend told us that deals abound everywhere and we're not in a hurry. Thanks for all the good advice!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did it all wrong. we started with a 4 ft X 7 ft tent traILER behind our Honda gold wing. 1st year we traded up 3 times, we were happy but...... Then we jumped into a 34 Class A Rexhall DP. what a difference. We asked so many questions and found so many answers. But, one full rtimer gave us the best advice. Find a MC with an interior that you both like and feel you can live in. Try it or buy it. If you go looking for the ultimate MC you'll never find the perfect one. There is a big difference in quality from one mfg to another. WE had a fiberglass roof on one unit and it was noisey. Now we have a damon tuscany with a TPO and it is fine. Point is find a unit with an interior you like, an interior that is livable. Go over everything 2 or 3 times. Check under the coach for signs that a unit has been in a flood. Some dealers are trying to sell units with low milage that are several yrs old. but, because they have never been titled they claim they are almost new or only a yr old. Get the chassis number, call the chassis mfg and see when the unit was actually built. Buyer, BEWARE! Lots of luck, eddie

Tags
camping