Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #1

New to class "A" or "and you said I didn't have any class"

SoHokay.. We just moved up from a 2003 Laredo 5th wheel to a 2000 National Dolphin, 36 foot class A. It only has 55,000 miles on it and at least seems in great shape. We live in Michigan & only bought it in mid December. We wanted to take it to northern Michigan for a few days to sorta check things out but everyone at General RV (where we bought it) said that even though it has a "heated basement" we shouldn't go to cold climates with water in the tanks (fresh, black, or gray) we're kinda disappointed because we wanted to check out the shower, wash dishes, & well who wants ta use da sh*tter inna out house when we got one 5 feet from da bed ?? anybody have any advice there ??
also... can I convert the lights to led just by changing the bulbs or is it more complicated ??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Seeing as you already purchased it, I would just wait til spring to try everything out.

As for the leds, yes just change out the bulbs and you are good.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmetz View Post
SoHokay.. We just moved up from a 2003 Laredo 5th wheel to a 2000 National Dolphin, 36 foot class A. It only has 55,000 miles on it and at least seems in great shape. We live in Michigan & only bought it in mid December. We wanted to take it to northern Michigan for a few days to sorta check things out but everyone at General RV (where we bought it) said that even though it has a "heated basement" we shouldn't go to cold climates with water in the tanks (fresh, black, or gray) we're kinda disappointed because we wanted to check out the shower, wash dishes, & well who wants ta use da sh*tter inna out house when we got one 5 feet from da bed ?? anybody have any advice there ??
also... can I convert the lights to led just by changing the bulbs or is it more complicated ??
On a winterized MH you can still use the toilet, just flush with antifreeze or windshield washer fluid.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is "cold" and then there is "C-O-L-D-D-D". If it is only going to be at or near freezing, you can always use everything and then re-winterize. To be safe, I would not put fresh water in the tank and just use shore water. Just be sure to disconnect the shore water hose at night. There are lots of discussions here at the forum about cold camping. You should be fine.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

That dealer's salesperson doesn't know what they're talking about.

Do buy a couple gallons of the pink stuff (RV'ers antifreeze) and pour half a gallon into the black and half gallon into the grey tanks. Then use the rest every so often to put into the P traps on the drains if it's really, really, cold. Like cold enough that you leave the cupboards open under sinks at night. Below 20°F for days at a time.

The water tank you keep full. Or nearly so. The thermal inertia will keep it from freezing plus you have heated basement. If it's not heated enough, add a small cube heater. As mentioned, only connect your hose when you need more in your tank, then roll it up and keep it in the shower.

Wrap the waste valves with a heat tape when you're parked. Only drain the tanks once a week, and do it quickly. Drain hose completely and put it away shortly afterwards. Don't want it stepped on when it's frozen. Some people put them in a plastic bag and keep them in the heated basement space so they stay soft.

I've stayed for weeks at 20°F and had very little trouble in my older, unheated basement compartments RV. I did put electric heaters in them.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #6

I've switched all of the 12V fluorescent bulbs to LED. I just took all of the "guts" out of the fixture and replaced them with LED strips. You can buy rolls of LED in various colors. Just pay attention to which terminal is + and which is -.

kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote