Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #1

New to Class A RV'ing

I'm new to the Class A RV'ing life, I recently purchased what seems to be a pretty good shape 1992 Coachmen Royal 360RD. It does not have a spare tire or wheel, nor is there a spot for one. It this usual for a Class A? I have replaced all 6 tires on the coach with new ones (ouch), but what do you do regarding a flat, depend on roadside assistance? There isn't a jack or lug wrench either.

Thank you fellow rver's for your help.
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #2

I am the only one you will find that thinks like this but for what its worth! If you have a jack that will lift the rear tires and a wrench to turn off the nuts... If you wake up in the boondocks with a rear flat you can limp into town and have it fixed! If you find a front flat you can take a rear tire off and put it in place of the front tire and add the flat to the rear axel and again limp into town. In order to do all this you will need some wood blocks or other type of objects, such as rocks or fire wood to crib up the front axle as you switch tires..

A tip from a guy that has more time than money!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #3

For me, it depends on the tire size as to weight and the amount of energy required to tighten or loosen the lug nuts. I have a 22.5" spare in the basement which I would have a mobile technician install.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
A common opinion would include Coachnet for roadside assistance
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our coach came with a spare but without a jack. Due to the fact that the tires and wheels weigh around 175lbs each it would be somewhat difficult to lift the tire and get it on the hub.

Having said that I have purchased roadside assistance.

Better to wait than to injure yourself trying to lift the tire. M2Cents
Old 08-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Depending on your rig I would doubt that you can find a portable enough jack to lift a (in my case) a DP. Also 22.5 inch tire wheel nuts require far more torque then most people can generate even with a cheater bar. Plus the weight of tire and rim as mentioned. I will rely on my roadside assistance plan. I also doubt that a spare would even fit in any of my compartments.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Changing a flat on an RV especially a large one is something that is best left up to professionals. The 22.5 tire is very heavy requires more torque then is possible by most people. Plu there is the fact that you are lifting a 20-25 ton DP up. Not a risk I want to take.
Get a Coach Net roadside assistance plan and forget about it.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #8

Agreed. Go for the good roadside assistance, check the 4 digit DOT code on your tires and replace every 7 years or if you see sidewall cracking . We had a spare jammed in one of our class A wells, but it was so heavy I couldn't get the leverage to pull it out and I am in decent shape.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #9

All very good information, as I like some of the OP's don't have the room for a spare and the tools, strength or downright want to, to try and change a MH tire, I will contact coach net and purchase a roadside assistance plan. Thanks to all for your info and guidance.
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Recently had lug nuts checked at Wingfoot. They use a 6' torque bar that generates 500 ft/lbs of torque! One guy moves the socket around the wheel while the other guy really puts his weight into it. Carrying a spare is good if you have the space but don't change it yourself.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
For us we have tires that are 24.5 .... heavier than the 22.5's that most have nowadays. Not only do we not want to carry that much weight just for a tire that may or may not blow but we could not change it anyway. So for us it is not only CoachNet but also RV plus AAA. Now why both? Well, I wanted and pay for CoachNet and Thom wanted and pays for the RV plus AAA. We have not had to use either one in 3 years since we've been full time.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I am the only one you will find that thinks like this but for what its worth! If you have a jack that will lift the rear tires and a wrench to turn off the nuts... If you wake up in the boondocks with a rear flat you can limp into town and have it fixed! If you find a front flat you can take a rear tire off and put it in place of the front tire and add the flat to the rear axel and again limp into town. In order to do all this you will need some wood blocks or other type of objects, such as rocks or fire wood to crib up the front axle as you switch tires..

A tip from a guy that has more time than money!

nope i am with you as well

i use the RVs rear jacks to take some SOME of the load so a smaller jack can take the load ... and i have all so moved and installed tires this way

giving the age of most that like to go RVing cant / or just call some one out to deal with it
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
hmmmm.....nobody mentioned Good Sam which I have...any particular reason? I have used them already to tow my motorcycle when it got a flat and worked out well. They cover all your vehicles. But I am still fairly new to RVing.

My Thor has a spare but not the National, but I don't think I would try to change the tire. They will bring you a tire which of course you have to pay for, no clue how they get it on the rim or if they just trade rims...
Old 08-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #14

I carry a unmounted spare 22.5 It is a 10yr date code but in perfect shape. I recently had a major blow out on a rear tire while on Interstate 95. Very scary experience. Tire blew the wheel well side panel right off thr coach. Roadside assistance came and put my spare on the rim right there on the side of the highway and I was able to travel within a couple hours. The service tech suspected that I picked up a piece of steel in the road (lots of bridge construction) and it severed a steel band in the tire. It literally exploded.
JHSJMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, rving