Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #15

Just a quick tip to see if it's been maintained, look at the battery tray... Seen some that were fresh re-painted with clean battery posts/connections and also seen real ugly! Gets expensive to neglect batteries...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #16

I agree with other posters to buy from owners and not dealers. You will get more honest answers to condition and maintenance from owners than dealers. Always buy MH's used.

I am a fan of the Newmar brand, Cummins diesel engines, HWH leveling systems, Spartan chassis and coaches that are stored inside when not on the road. I bought my 2004 Newmar 4011 with 30K miles for $80K and it runs/drives like a new one.

A good way to find a used coach once you have decided on the brand and floor plan is run "want ads" in your local paper and Craig's List (RV section) in your surrounding cities/states and describe what you are looking for.

This is a great time to buy and a terrible time to sell!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
OP: the advise you are getting is great IMOP from IRV2. Keeping $10,000.00 plus is my 2 cents worth. DP's cost more to maintain, larger fluid capacities and bigger parts to stay simple. If you are a "Do-it-your-Selfer" then your plan is on track. Labor and parts can be expensive, in Alabama/Georgia $85.00 to $110.00 is the going rate for labor.
Tip: Buy your own parts and pay for the labor that you either can not do or not trained to do. I have a great RV guy, but he will not work on my coach unless I but the parts from him. Love the guy, but now I do business elsewhere for most stuff.
You are thinking great, I just want you to be prepared for the after sale. I bought from what this IRV2 states regularly the best dealership (name left off intentionally) and had $10,000.00 of expenses my first year. My Coach is a 2012 DP, used for me means no warranty when you leave the dealership. Not upset with dealership, just pointing out the older the model, the more stuff than can be of age or older to go wrong.
Not trying to scare you off used either, I just want you to be prepared parts are going to break, be prepared so your coach does not sit to long.

My two cents.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Sounds like a very good plan and it appears you have a good handle on areas of concern.

My experience is with Monaco coaches so I will speak to those.

The Monaco Dynasty is a very high quality coach with lots of "bang for the buck". The years '03-05 should be in your $$$ range.
1. Over all build quality is high.
2. No particular slide issues. At this age you should inspect the outside of the slide box, floor in particular, to make sure there has been no water damage.
3. The roof is fiberglass with seamless transition to the front & rear caps.
4. Cummins ISL/Allison 3000/Roadmaster S Series semi monocoque chassis. One of the strongest chassis used in motorhomes.
5. Air leveling is standard with air and jacks as an option.

Although Monaco has been through 3 ownership changes since these vintage coaches were built, Monaco still provided tech support and parts. A very large and active owner base.

If you pursue a Monaco, feel free to PM me anytime.

Totally agree with Steve! We have been very happy with our '02 Windsor 40PBT! The floorplan is exactly what we want and the ISC350 engine has performed flawlessly! You can find these in the $60k to $75k range.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As you travel around, I'll guarantee that the majority of the OLDER coaches that you'll see on the road will be Monacos. They made a great coach and are still looking and running well.

Somewhere around 2003-2005 Monaco started using the Cummins ISL 400 throughout their product line. Some the higher end models got them earlier on. The Cummins ISL, mated to an Allison 3000 or 4000 is one of the best and most popular engines in the RV market.

I sold my 2005 Monaco Diplomat last year for $85K. It was immaculate and had all the upgrades, including a residential refer. You can still go to Monaco's website and look at their ARCHIVES for brochures on all their earlier models. I think the Dynasty and especially the Windsor are a couple of their best models ever built.

If you like a floorplan that Monaco offers, you won't go wrong with one. The biggest issue that any of the Monaco's will have (cosmetically) is that the paint always went bad along the roof line and the top of the front and rear caps. Make sure you look at this. It's about a $3000.00 repair, but will make the coach look like new.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
The hardest thing to fix is the floorplan. If you don't like the floorplan you're between a rock and a hard place.

Your list has you going the right way. Find one you like and look it over carefully....
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #21

Thanks everyone for the great information. This helps so much! I continue to read responses so please keep them coming!
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel