Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #15

Regardless of towing the first step after starting the engine I push Tow/Haul. I like the earlier downshifting.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The 2002 F53 had a 4 speed transmission and an " OverDrive Off " button on the shift stalk.

It had none of the downshifting features of the newer 5 or 6 speed models.
I have a 2004 with the 4 speed tranny. I have read many articles that claim they are bullet proof. I have never driven a MH with a 5 or 6 speed tranny. but plan to just to see the difference. I only use my overDrive off when I'm on a looong steep hill because it seems to completely lock out 4th or Overdrive. So on a flat rode I am turning a lot of RPM's and sucking some gas for no reason.
I think I would like a 6 speed much better but for now will live with what I got.
As for as Power, the V10 seems to be more than adequate for my 22,500#, 35' Coach. and this is the older lower HP engine. NO it's not a ball of fire from a standstill, but above 50 MPH it is sweet. Around 60 to 65 is the sweet spot. Engine is quite and not working at all. small moderate hills don't effect it and it does not drop a gear to pull them. But 6,- 7% grades are a different story. it will drop a gear and turn around 4K RPM to the top but looses very little MPH. I am not pulling a TOAD but I do pull a 8X14 trailer with a Golfcart on it. About 1600# additional weight. Don't know it's there!!!
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #17

I hit the tow haul button as soon as I start the engine and leave it on. It seems to me that even in city driving I can stop in much less distance. A Ford service manager told me that the weight of the loaded vehicle is what tow haul was designed for. As for the cruise issue, I’ve got enough miles on that I can look at a hill or overpass and sense if it will downshift or not. So I drive with my thumb on the cruise resume button and turn off the cruise before the downshift. When I miss it the reving engine wakes up my wife. That said, I plan to get the 5 Star before our next big trip. I have the 5 speed transmission. It holds pretty well on a long down grade. I feel safe.
JerryKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Motorhome View Post
I have a 2004 with the 4 speed tranny. I have read many articles that claim they are bullet proof. I have never driven a MH with a 5 or 6 speed tranny. but plan to just to see the difference. I only use my overDrive off when I'm on a looong steep hill because it seems to completely lock out 4th or Overdrive. So on a flat rode I am turning a lot of RPM's and sucking some gas for no reason.
I think I would like a 6 speed much better but for now will live with what I got.
As for as Power, the V10 seems to be more than adequate for my 22,500#, 35' Coach. and this is the older lower HP engine. NO it's not a ball of fire from a standstill, but above 50 MPH it is sweet. Around 60 to 65 is the sweet spot. Engine is quite and not working at all. small moderate hills don't effect it and it does not drop a gear to pull them. But 6,- 7% grades are a different story. it will drop a gear and turn around 4K RPM to the top but looses very little MPH. I am not pulling a TOAD but I do pull a 8X14 trailer with a Golfcart on it. About 1600# additional weight. Don't know it's there!!!
I know the feeling.
I just up graded from a 2000 v10 4 speed to a 2017 V10 6 speed.

Although I can't and won't speak of the 5 speed transmission, having not owned one, the Tow/Haul technology with the re-tuned, lower RPM, V10 is like night and day.

After engine startup, I automaticly switch on cruise control and Tow/Haul.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:58 AM   #19

Thanks for all the great tips folks. I already figured out the quick tap to disengage CC. I'm also quickly learning how to handle hills in general vs. our little 5 cyl. diesel in the Sprinter. Anticipating the next hill is similar. The fun part for me is that even with the big coach, the V10 is much more able to climb hills from a stop than the little Sprinter ever was . . . especially with a toad.
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:09 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
The OP should be aware that Ford states the use of aftermarket tunes can void the warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
Duly noted. Thanks.
I put 5 Star on my motor home when it was new - after I asked the Service Manager at my Ford Truck Service Center if the tune would void the warranty.

He said no.

I believe if you have a warranty claim, it must be proven the after market product was the cause of the claim. 5 Star holds the engine in gear, a little longer than the original tune, and the engine revs increase, as the engine was designed to do.

I have read a lot about 5 Star - there are many thoughts in regards to the product - most are very positive. Call Ford and ask them if 5 Star would void your warranty, get it straight from the horses mouth!!

I am glad I have the tune.....works for me! As a matter of fact - the Ford part of my motor home is the only part of my motor home that has had zero problems!! I have a 6 speed.

I see Pete you have learned when using the CC to do a quick brake tap to release when the engine starts to downshift on a hill. I do the same after it drops one gear. With a 5 Star Tune, it will not drop a gear when going over an over pass......

g
Old 05-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You misunderstand the 6 speed transmission.

The older 5 speed was the one that chose 3rd or 4th depending on tempereture.Attachment 244239
You are correct, I misunderstood. But in fact, both the 5 and 6 speed transmissions have 6 forward gears. And it looks to me that in the 6 speed, both 5 and 6 are both overdrive gears. How is that more helpful in mountain driving?

5R110W TORQSHIFT RATIOS
1st-------2nd-------3rd------4th*-----5th------6th-------R
3.11 : 1 2.20 : 1 1.54 : 1 1.09 : 1 1.00 : 1 0.71 : 1 2.88 : 1
*4th gear ratio is only used during cold operation shift schedule - 5R110W normally shifts 1-2-3-5-6

6R140 TORQSHIFT RATIOS
1st--------2nd-------3rd------4th-------5th--------6th-------R
3.974 : 1 2.318 : 1 1.516 : 1 1.149 : 1 0.858 : 1 0.674 : 1 3.12 : 1
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
I put 5 Star on my motor home when it was new - after I asked the Service Manager at my Ford Truck Service Center if the tune would void the warranty.

He said no.

I believe if you have a warranty claim, it must be proven the after market product was the cause of the claim...

g
Ford clearly states in their warranties that aftermarket tunes may void the warranty. I used to drive an F-150 Ecoboost and followed Ecoboost forums and several people related stories of Ford not honoring their warranty when their engine was damaged while using a tune. Which is reasonable enough as a tune is a modern form of hot rodding, the modern equivalent of changing a camshaft, timing and induction system.

When I bought my F-150 the dealer offered me a Roush tune. He stated up front that the tune voided the Ford warranty but said that Roush would warranty the drive train. I took a pass.

I’m no lawyer and am not qualified to hand out legal advice. I asked my daughter, a corporate lawyer and fierce litigator in Chicago about all this and she said in true lawyerly fashion “ it depends”. But what can happen if you’re using a tune is that Ford may simply not pay. After all, you’re the person who disregarded the conditions of the warranty. Now it’s up to you to go after Ford and argue the tune didn’t cause the problem or that the conditions of the warranty are invalid. I’d want a very clever lawyer.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #23
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
So you did the 5 Star on a 2017? And you have the 6-speed transmission? If so you're one of the few people I've read who put it on the 6-speed.

Thanks for your observations.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #24

New owner of Allegro Open Road and o thought it odd that there was no red line on the tach to prevent over revving. It appears not to be an issue with this engine.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53