Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
New to forum-potential buyer

Hi everyone. I am new here. In researching the possibility of purchasing a motorhome, and thoroughly scouring the internet for manufacturer information and consumer opinion, I have found this site, and it is great!

I want to state a little history and get some honest feedback that may help me in my search direction.

Husband and I both retired a few months ago after over 30 years in our profession, working together I might add. We are very involved in showing and breeding horses, and travel the country with our involvement in this endeavor. I am not concerned about the ideas of close quarters, travel compatibility etc. We have hauled a variety of gooseneck, living quarter horse trailers of various brands and sizes for approximately 15 years, with dogs, horses and kids in tow, and now grandkids! Now that we are retired, we are giving serious thought to making the move to a Class A diesel pusher motor home, as we could potentially use it to replace our current living quarter rig. We could also keep the current rig and purchase a coach for travel aside from horse showing, as cross country sightseeing is something we both really want to do. I know there are always maintenance issues with all rigs; we have been fortunate in that with our rigs to date, it has been primarily routine maintenance, tires, bearings packed, brakes adjusted or fine tuned, never really any conversion issues with the living quarters, maybe a converter replaced or some light bulbs. Any structural issues are more related to "human error" if you know what I mean (sorry honey) Of course, a horse trailer does not have the mechanical components that a coach does; our truck does require regular maintenance due to the workload put on it, so that may be comparable, but again, no warranty issues, engine or structural issues, just maintenance. My husband is concerned about what kind of annual investment is realistic, from an expense standpoint, insurance standpoint, maintenance standpoint, with a high end luxury Class A diesel pusher. If we invest a quarter of a mllion up in initial purchase, how much more can we anticipate in ongoing expenses each year? Assuming oil change, filters, tire replacement, rotations, brake maintenance, lubes, what system maintenance may be required on an annual basis? We are only considering pre owned, looking at Travel Supreme Select Ltd (something I have admired for years actually) and Entegra, and have contemplated Prevost for several years, but am afraid of the maintenance costs. I was thinking about Newell for a time but am worried about the ground clearance and drag issues. Slides are a must, as is 44-45' (we get bigger with every purchase) We live in the country music capital of the world so I know there are plenty of service companies around that take care of all those tour buses. I have seen lots of references on this forum and others to coaches in the shop more than on the road, money pits, doing it as a hobby, handyman doing alot of own work to save dollars ( hubby can do some but not what alot of you are capable of), that sort of thing. My parents owned a mid line rig for years, loved the lifestyle but did have a lot of maintenance issues and dollars invested. We have a hobby and it is an expensive one (horses) If owning a motor home is more of a hobby, another expensive one and needs to be considered as such, I may be barking up the wrong tree. We are on a fixed income, and I don't know if I can fund both. I would REALLY like youir opinions and comments as to what to expect, run from, would you do it again, etc. Thanks!

retiredtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure how much help I can be since our MH is definitely not in the class you're considering.

We bought it last spring after pulling a 36' 5er for 10 years. Our purchase price, including improvements we made, was is the $80,000 to $90,000 range. We have been very happy with it, not having any serious problems.

Our insurance runs around $800 per year with GMAC, who was MUCH lower than any others we looked at. We have our yearly service on the engine, chassis, and generator done at SPEEDCO, which runs around $350 per year. I do not have any extended warranty on it.

I spent about $2000 for everything I needed to pull a toad. I used the ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake, and a Roadmaster baseplate on the toad. I added a mud flap across the rear of the MH and the Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and the toad.

I get about 8 MPG pulling the toad.

Hope this helps some.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
There are many MFG's of good coach's on the market old or new.
You should be familiar with costs for insurance and registrations from pass experience of hauling in your pass do not think it will be much different owning a motor home.
Just to get started in MH's this lineup can cost in your price range and there are many good used coach's on market that many are getting with all the problems that have been corrected on a new coach.
Here is a link that will help out making some of your decisions related to a motor home new or used.
Good luck in your hunt, do enjoy your retirements.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Thanks for the responses, very helpful!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
I am still on the hunt and I have found some very
nice coaches that I am seriously considering. One is
a 45' Travel Supreme that is 6-7 yrs old with
@ 40k mi and supposedly well taken care of.
I have also come across several prevost xlII
that are anywhere from 7 yr old to 12 yr old in
a price range I think I could live with; most 45',
and dual slides, some non slide and even a couple of
40' 's...one with dual, one with none.
I have not gone to look yet, want to be more
sure of the coach I would be happiest with
before I do and the questions keep surfacing
as I read more on this forum.
1. I WILL tow something behind the coach, either
a toad, a car hauler or a horse trailer.
I am well aware of the length issues and
difficulties presented- we are nearly length of a
tractor trailer currently. What I don't know is
how it is with that length with basically
a bumper pull rig vs gooseneck rig as we
have now, in making tight right turns and
backing. More difficult?
2. Read about tow vehicle damage from rocks etc
That worries me
3. Read about clearance between back of
coach and trailer in tight turns- corners
hitting/ damage etc- again worries me
4. Need great strength and dependability
in hitch / chassis if towing horse trailer
due to weight involved and lives involved
( the horses) Have known of hitches failing
and trailers coming loose and horses killed
Should I get a 45' if I can get a great deal on
it, knowing the above concerns could be issues
or should I get a 40' Prevost, even if 11 or
12 yr old, to be my "learning curve"
I say Prevost in the 40' because of the hitch
and HP, altho I would consider the Travel
Supreme or a Prevost in 45'
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
I also have some concern about being so long in a 45' with a toad or a trailer that we are limited in where we travel - not in our current routes showing our horses but in where we want to go in RV-ing, like the national parks across the country, New England, the Rockies, Wyoming, Canada, Alaska...
Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Hi retiredtenn,
Do not over analyze this situation. There are three things that will make or break you with a coach.
1. floor plan
2. GVWR (NCC or CCC) - will the coach carry all your stuff and you
3. GCWR + (hitch rating) - will the coach tow what you want to tow
The primary need is a home for you and the horses. For you, get a 40 to 45'' coach, simple as that (size matters, the longer the better). I have no skill with the horse situation. You are not going to stay in National/State parks. Private CGs nearby is your place to stay. You will learn to drive and make turns, just like the millions of coach owners before you. You will fuel at truck stops and have an easy in/out or a place to park, if needed.

Find the coach that has the three items mentioned above. Get it inspected by a certified RVIA technician (for the coach)
certified ASE technician for the engine
certified (by the manufacturer) for the chassis

Don't forget to consider Newmar brand coaches.

Many happy adventures are waiting for you.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
Did you consider a Truck Conversion? They work pretty well for pulling stuff.
MN is home for now.
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Thanks Gary, great perspective.
How did you know " over analyze" is
my middle name? Ha ha
Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
Thanks Gary, great perspective.
How did you know " over analyze" is
my middle name? Ha ha
And Bob, yes I have, but think I want something
far different in the size of the living accommodations.
I think a truck conversion may be very similar
to our current rig- and I like the idea of getting around
in the living quarters while driving down the road if I need to. I am currently the copilot in a Freightliner - does the job but it IS a truck in terms of ride
Old 08-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
potential buyer

I agree with Gary's comment and would also add that there is no substitute for power. If you plan on running anywhere in the Western US you will really appreciate "more power". We've had several coaches and the 600 hp in our current coach is a real pleasure to drive and causes less driving fatigue as you can easily pass slower traffic whenever you want to. I'll also put in a plug for Newmar, even if you view several coaches as close to the same, the Comfort Driver feature found only on Newmar's and newer Newell's is a true game changer from a driveability standpoint. I won't bore you with a description of it here but would encourage you to go to the Newmar website and learn about it. Everything they say on the website is true about this system.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the RV world!!
2017 Newell, 2015 Yukon Denali , 2013 Polaris RZR 4/900
FMCA: 383383
nforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
I will look into the Newmar line. What is the first model year in which the comfort drive was offered as I am only looking at pre owned?
The TS I am considering is also 600 HP and
and supposed to be known for their ease of driving/ handling.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
new buyers

I believe it was introduced in 2008 with a non-adjustable version and changed to an adjustable unit after that. I also liked the TS, I would check with Entegra-Jayco ( they bought the assets of TS) to see if they are still supplying any mission critical parts for the older models.

2017 Newell, 2015 Yukon Denali , 2013 Polaris RZR 4/900
FMCA: 383383
nforus is offline   Reply With Quote