Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2016, 10:55 PM   #1

New to full timing

I have decided to change my life drastically, by dropping everything in my life and go RVing. I just bought a 1997 36 foot gas Dutch Star with the Banks power system and tag axle. Because of my limited previous experience with RVs, I was considering taking it to Camping World for their free 22 point inspection, the $300 45 point systems check and their $150 dollar new owner orientation. I will want to tow my 92 GMC Sonoma so I would like for them to set it up with a Blue Ox package or similar product. Any recommendations or suggestions?
Dustoff13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello and

We're glad to have you with us!! Please read this thread below, just for your consideration.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/campi...ld-279861.html

There are possibly better places you can go to get what you're after. Now I'm not saying the CW near you as bad, just get more informed first. There are many good folks here to help, which I'm trying to do right now. Provide your location, and someone will jump in here with knowledge on service etc nearest you.

Wishing you the very best, congrats on your Newmar!

Regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff13 View Post
I have decided to change my life drastically, by dropping everything in my life and go RVing. I just bought a 1997 36 foot gas Dutch Star with the Banks power system and tag axle. Because of my limited previous experience with RVs, I was considering taking it to Camping World for their free 22 point inspection, the $300 45 point systems check and their $150 dollar new owner orientation. I will want to tow my 92 GMC Sonoma so I would like for them to set it up with a Blue Ox package or similar product. Any recommendations or suggestions?

First off is your Sonoma towable then I would look at this for a tow bar and braking
Robot Check then lights.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:20 AM   #4

Thank you. The RV is in Mesa, AZ, and I will be picking it up the first week of April. I bought it from an older retired couple who bought it brand new and it has impeccable service records. I am currently in Alaska and will only have a few days to prep it for a trip to Northern California. The reason I joined this site is to take advantage of the vast wealth of knowledge here.
Jim
Dustoff13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim, the service records are a big plus for sure. There are several members on this forum in the Mesa and surrounding areas. I'm sure they will offer their experiences with service options. Then you can compare all options for what is best for you.

Again, best of luck and keep us posted. I'm sure it's a great rig

By the way, referring to 2 Stroker's post: make sure the drive train on your Sonoma is compatible with towing all 4 wheels down. You may have to disconnect the drive shaft.
Regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We had service work done by Arizona RV Service in Mesa AZ. They were very professional and bent over backwards to accommodate our schedule - good luck in your travels.
Bstreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #7

I put a Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect on my 2010 F150 and tow it. One of the nice features is my truck doesn't rack up miles on the odometer when it is towed. Be sure to get a tow bar that is strong enough. I use the Blue Ox Aventa which is rated at 10,000 lb. Towing a heavy vehicle will cost you some MPG but it's nice to have the extra storage in the tow vehicle. We carry a lot of stuff in ours.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:19 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

We use D&R in Glendale for our work. Whoever you use I would make sure they know you are coming, what you need and your time frame. If your vehicle can be towed 4 down I would have the base plate installed before you show up in AZ. That is the time consuming part. Probably the people you are buying it from have towed and everything else will be in place, you should check with them as they might sell you the toad pkg(hitch etc) or throw it in with the purchase. No matter what , you will need the base plate.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote