Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
I purchased the non hard wired but now you have me thinking, someone could very easily steal it. How hard is it to wire in the hard-wire model?
Some folks have cut the cable in the compartment and added a plug and socket so that the portable unit can be transferred to the next coach. Since the portable unit is now in a locked cabinet you have reduced the theft problem and you can take it with you as I said.

HTH.

Larry
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #86

Ford Super Duty Owner
The second unit will shut down power when voltage gets too high and when it gets too low. When volts are too low it can damage electric motors...they overheat. When everything is within normal specs it will restore power. The first unit is just a surgge protector it will not shut down your ellectric if is outside specs. Do yourself a big favor and get a hardwired one NOT a portable that can be stolen.
mlvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #87
CD

One thing I didn't see was to add 5/7 gals. water (for 40 gal tank) after dumping and before using, IMHO is very important. That prevents solids from being pushed into drain pipe and also the dreaded pyramid. The other thing is to use the Geo Method. That will keep gauges working right and I haven't had any smell problem since using it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
One thing I didn't see was to add 5/7 gals. water (for 40 gal tank) after dumping and before using, IMHO is very important. That prevents solids from being pushed into drain pipe and also the dreaded pyramid. The other thing is to use the Geo Method. That will keep gauges working right and I haven't had any smell problem since using it.

Someone want to explain the "Geo Method" to a Newbie?
Thanks,
Jon
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #89
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADOG View Post
Someone want to explain the "Geo Method" to a Newbie?
Thanks,
Jon
GEO METHOD LINKS
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #90

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
not sure if noted but being new to a MH for only 7 months now may I suggest a spare bulb box. I have had to replace several bulbs, chassis and coach, to the point where I bought extras of most, bought an extra headlight too. Had one go out on trip and bought 2 so have a back up now. I also recommend the tool box idea, include some fuses, wire ties and hose clamps.

I have seen beer mentioned, but I never leave home without a few bags of chips too, preferably Utz Crab Chips!!
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #91

Rexhall Owners Group
This is what I carry; First aid kit, tool box, spare fuses, spare bulbs, spare lift pump (cummins), window cleaner and polish the wife and 3 dogs, some times a tent just in case we don't see eye to eye. HA !!!!!

Martin
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #92

I just read through this thread with my dad as we are New/old to the RV world. I really enjoyed reading everyone's responses, and some even brought tears to my eyes from laughing.
This forum truly is a great place!!!
ArmyVet717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #93

A puppy that never gets old.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #94

Camping stove w/ the little propane tanks to cook outside. Also highly recommend an extend-a-stay to hook up to swappable propane tanks.
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Amazon has great prices on everything we needed to outfit our new to us Class A last month . Check out the RV Geeks videos on Youtube to see how to hookup your electric & sewer connections & many other great videos for the new MH owner. We also bought a Genturi Generator Exhaust extension tube to vent it above the coach. Our ac is a basement model so it works well when not hooked up for us.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Rubber Hose Washers Hose Bid Anti-Siphon Valve Commercial Insulated Grip Nozzle with Threaded Front Brass Garden Hose Y-Connector with Shut-Off Valves RV 1/2" Back-Flow Preventer Atwood 91857 Drain Plugs [/URL]

Water Heater Flushing Tool
Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #97

Don't forget to get another fire extinguisher for the bedroom, GPS and extra fuses. Remember White hoses for drinking water, do not use a garden hose, I always roll the drinking water hose and connect the ends, keeps them clean.....
lakedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #98

I have many talked to full timers that scoff at surge protectors. I personally haven't purchased one yet but I do plan on getting one of the surge protectors only. I have a whole house surge protector on my house. Better than buying dozens of the strips when a whole house surge protector replaces all......
lakedweller is offline   Reply With Quote