Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
This is what I carry; First aid kit, tool box, spare fuses, spare bulbs, spare lift pump (cummins), window cleaner and polish the wife and 3 dogs, some times a tent just in case we don't see eye to eye. HA !!!!!

Martin
Who gets the tent? Great idea...
jamador1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #100

So many great ideas and necessities. My dad and I are going to sit down and make a list if this we need. I've already started compiling mine.
ArmyVet717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Loading Your Rig

Here is a link to a website where I found an abundance of information. Here is the link to the Load Your Rig page. The list is a little dated but this is such a comprehensive list it makes a great starting point. Not to take away from all the great information already presented here.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch View Post
Here is a link to a website where I found an abundance of information. Here is the link to the Load Your Rig page. The list is a little dated but this is such a comprehensive list it makes a great starting point. Not to take away from all the great information already presented here.
Wonderful!
I emailed the links to my dad as well. This will be of great use, I'm sure we will add and subtract things defending on our specific needs. Thank you very much!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #103

This may sound like a dumb again, but I'm asking anyway. I noticed on several "must have" lists that CB's are listed. I have one in my Jeep for when I'm out on the trails, but I have noticed nut many MH's come with them anymore. I know this is a Class A post, but we have a C. I was too excited about finding the must haves to notice.
Anyway, being back to the CB, is it still something good to have in an RV, or do people not really use them anymore since cellphones emerged?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
This is what I carry; First aid kit, tool box, spare fuses, spare bulbs, spare lift pump (cummins), window cleaner and polish the wife and 3 dogs, some times a tent just in case we don't see eye to eye. HA !!!!!

Martin
So just how often do you polish the wife and 3 dogs?
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedweller View Post

I have many talked to full timers that scoff at surge protectors. I personally haven't purchased one yet but I do plan on getting one of the surge protectors only. I have a whole house surge protector on my house. Better than buying dozens of the strips when a whole house surge protector replaces all......
FYI the whole house surge protector is made to work in conjunction with the little ones. The whole house protector will pass enough of the surge to kill sensitive electronics.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #106

I have/had one so small, it was slightly larger than a 2>3 adapter.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #107

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used four paper checklists for everything from loading for a trip, hooking and unhooking the Toad, to making sure everything was packed to leave the camp site.

Now I use an Android App I found. It is an RV checklist on my smart phone from 'Adventure Treks'. I found it on Google Play. I do not remember if it is free or not. But even if it is a paid App, I would buy it again if I needed to. It has a couple of lists already set up and is fully customizable. You can add lists, modify existing lists, modify item with in the list, and make sub-categories with-in the lists. As you use the list simply touch each item and it places a check mark in the box. When you need to use the list again just pull up the settings menu and clear all the check marks. It takes quite a bit of time to set up as you like, but this App has completely eliminated my paper check lists. Sorry, Iphone owners, I do not if it is available for Iphone.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch View Post
I used four paper checklists for everything from loading for a trip, hooking and unhooking the Toad, to making sure everything was packed to leave the camp site.

Now I use an Android App I found. It is an RV checklist on my smart phone from 'Adventure Treks'. I found it on Google Play. I do not remember if it is free or not. But even if it is a paid App, I would buy it again if I needed to. It has a couple of lists already set up and is fully customizable. You can add lists, modify existing lists, modify item with in the list, and make sub-categories with-in the lists. As you use the list simply touch each item and it places a check mark in the box. When you need to use the list again just pull up the settings menu and clear all the check marks. It takes quite a bit of time to set up as you like, but this App has completely eliminated my paper check lists. Sorry, Iphone owners, I do not if it is available for Iphone.
There are several "RV checklists" for the iPhone and iPad. We use "RV check". It sounds identical to the one mentioned here. We use it constantly.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #109

I never thought about looking for one for my phone or tablet. I'm definitely going to check them out.

To bad there is not an app for the RV "must haves".
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #110

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Great info here - thanks!
87bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #111

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok I can add my 2 cents worth. Most basic. Good GPS. I like the Rand Mcnally Rv version for the purpose of height limits. It monitors your route and tells you when you are at risk. I used it in a car once going to an airport and it warned me the walkway above the road was too low for my RV.

Lots of talk about extra sewage hoses. It is not the cheapest option but my MH came with a maciator pump. I did not think that was a big deal until I got used to it now I would hate to have to go back to the old hose system. You do not have to worry about having your hose flowing down hill. mine is permanently mounted and has a valve on the end so I do not have to worry about leaks. There are several versions mine has a 15 foot 1.5 inch hose. I took the valve off at the end and added about 6 inches of clear tubing. I can now see when the flow is getting low and if I am rinsing the tank I can see when the flow is getting clear.

A complete set of dishes, silverware, pot pans etc just for the MH. Is a lot easier than trying to remembe what we brought and did not bring.

When I had my 5th wheel I used a piece of 10 inch lay flat drain hose. drilled a hole the same size as a bolt in motorcycle valve stem. coated it with PVC glue and then ran through the hole and bolted it in. took two pieces of 1 inch wide flat stock drilled holes ever 1inch. Used pvc glue on the ends of the hose then mounted the flat stock over the ends. drilled through the flat stock holes and through the drain hose. Bolted flat stock together on both ends and made an air bag. put that behind the low side of 5th wheel added air until unit level.

Air compressor see above

Non Potable water hose for hooking up sewer rinse I use the springy type of hose just because it stores easier.

Portable battery drill and screwdriver/ nutdriver bits.

basic emergency tool kit.

AC/DC voltermeter with resistance measureing capabilities
AC/DC etc I cannot emphasize this enough

All manuals and wiring diagrams if you can get them

Manuals that show fuses. In my motor home I have fused every where blew the fuse to the 12 volt power outlet ( lighter plug) where I plug in the GPS took an hour and a half to find and I found places that had fuse blocks that i did not know were even there ( such as under pull out drawers under dash

Large can of Silicon spray with pinpoint applicator

And last but the most important a money tree
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote