Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick60 View Post
I would stick with the Winnie mainly because they still exist. Monaco would be out because they no longer exist and the current new "Monaco" owner is not what the old company was. You want at least a 330 and to get a nice unit for 50 K you probably will have to stay in the 1998 to 2002 range.

Good luck!!
I can stick my nose in here.
Can't compare to the others mentioned, but we bought an 04 Ultimate Freedom two years ago, our first DP. It has a 400 Cummins on a Spartan chassis.
Love the coach and the ride. It has all the options, with all the good and bad that it entails.
Haven't had a lot of contact, but so far the Winnie people have been good.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2655 View Post
Hello all !

I am new to this forum and need some help. I am currently in the hunt for a 1998 - 2004ish Diesel Pusher, with a price limit in and around the $50k mark. This will eventually (2 years) become our Full timer rig. I have seen a Monaco Windsor, a Safari Cheetah, and a Winnie Ultimate, all in the 38-40ft. range. Back in these earlier years, which were the high end / Top of the Line units ? If you had to rank rigs of this age whcih are at the top end and which are at the bottom. Any to stay away from all together ??What about engine size ?? Back then 38-40 footers had 275 / 300 / 330 HP motors and I notice the newer ones have much higher HP ratings. I plan to tow a Ford Edge. Another thing is I have to have a King bed which is very limited, mayybe non-existent in these years. My thought was to find a unit that does not have a Queen slide, but has a North-south Queen (front to back), eliminate one of the night stands, and modify the usual overhead hanging cabinet to get a King mattress in there. Has anyone tried this. Pics please if you have. What other things should I be concerned about in models these years. I know serive / Maintanence records will tell the story of most drivelines and the cleanliness / condition will tell how it was taken care of. How long are Tires good for from the date stamp ? What is the cost of a set of new tires ??

That is all I can think of right now. I thank you all in advance for your help sorting this out. By all means if you are in the Michigan area and know of or have this type of rig for sale, let me know !

Mike
I would go with Monaco Knight or Holiday Ambassador 2004 (same assembley line same coach different caps) or newer any day over Safari. 330 cummins is what your looking for for best milage and pull in a 40' or less. Monaco Roadmaster chassis blows away freightliner is my opnion. Make sure R8R chassis. Worth the wait.

Brochure Archive:

Old 05-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #17

While you might be able to find a real old coach for your price range, I would recommend you set aside 50k for repairs or more...if the unit was repair free they wouldn't be selling it. Start adding up transmission, rear end, shocks, axles, tires, fiberglass delaminating or roof replacement, heating system, maybe a generator, .....and more, lots more. If you only have 50K consider a 5th wheel and good truck.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizprocoach View Post
While you might be able to find a real old coach for your price range, I would recommend you set aside 50k for repairs or more...if the unit was repair free they wouldn't be selling it. Start adding up transmission, rear end, shocks, axles, tires, fiberglass delaminating or roof replacement, heating system, maybe a generator, .....and more, lots more. If you only have 50K consider a 5th wheel and good truck.

I really do not understand this post. I know the poster bought a used coach a few years back and maybe he had all the problems itemized here.

We have owned our 15 year old American Eagle for 4 years plus and total expenses including storage, preventive maintenance, repairs, fuel used for activities other than vacations and six new tires is a little over $20K. This is less than $5K per year.

Repairs have been virtually non-existent as everything continues to be in good working order.

The key IMHO is to buy the flagship of the manufacturer that has been well looked after and drive the beast every chance you get!

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Old 05-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #19

Lots of helpful input !

Thank you all for your input. You have all given me a lot of great answers and ideas. We looked at 2 more rigs today, a 2001 Endeavor 38 WDD and a 2000 Bounder 38 (only because it was sitting next to the HR). No interest with the Bounder, but the Endeavor was a nice unit. Clean, low miles, new tires, but since it is at dealer has it no real feel for care other than what i can see (no service records). Price was at $49,995 with some room for neg.. Does this one seem like it is priced right ? Good Coach ??

Tomorrow we are going to look at a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar 3884, that is a one owner unit. I do not know much about the Newmar line, but it is priced attractivley and has a lot of options. Any input on this model ??

A fifth wheel is not an option that we find suitable. I will have to look into this new size of queen that you talked about.

Looking forward to getting more helpful info from all of you.

Thank you again !

Bulldog
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #20

Newmar coaches are high end coaches! If you want to learn more, go to the owners forum and read up. That said, we bought a 2000 mountain Aire (40') in 6/2012 for $50k. The previous owner had replaced all the tires and batteries in the last 12 months. They had also done multiple upgrades to the coach (flooring and carpets, etc) just prior to trading. It had 97,000 miles which is nothing for a diesel (Cummins claims the ISC isn't broken in until 140,000)! I've put 7,000 mile on it with no repairs, just annual maintenance. Btw, this is a 350/1050 hp/torque engine. And it's the torque that matters.

The Dutch star is the next level down in the Newmar line. I think the biggest difference is in options and how far the slide moves out.

Finally, if you're in Michigan, go to Midway RV in Grand Rapids. That's where we bought our Newmar. They have a great selection and do NOT BS you. We were very happy buying from them.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #21

jdr159 - Midway RV

We are heading over to Rockford next weekend and will stop in there. Thanks for the response and info !

Bulldog
Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizprocoach View Post
This post seems way off to me. Most these things you mention can be detected in an inspection and test drive. 50 grand in repairs? Really. I wouldn't touch that coach with a ten foot pole.

To the op. you can find a nice dp with a 50k budget. With minimal repairs needed. Just shop around. Take your time and most important, educate yourself as much as possible. Do not be intimated by some posts. Rving is a great life. And you will find your coach. Good wishes to you on your shopping journey.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I can't say enough positive things about our 2000 HR Imperial that we bought last year for about that price range, we were newbies and just lucked into it. I agree with previous posters, that you should look for the top of the line for the manufacturer. It is built like a tank, the cabinets look brand new. We don't have a slide in the BR so the king bed thing is out of the question. If you are planning to fulltime, the Roadmaster chassis has a lot of room in the basement. AquaHot/HydroHot systems are nice.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #24

Corlyn / Captain morgan

Yes, you have to take some posters with a grain of salt. I am fairly mechanically inclined and any rig that I purchase will get a thorough go over by a close friends Diesel repair shop.

We did like the HR very much and it is in consideration. We just feel that we have not seen enough to make the step yet. Yet, on the other hand they all seem to run together. We are now going to take our digital camera with us on each inspection...........

Thank you for all your input.

Bulldog
Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #25

Official iRV2 Sponsor

IMHO you ought to spend some time online with the NADA RV guide not so much to learn prices on used MH's as to better understand the positioning of models by manufacturers when they were new. The NADA guide provides the MSRP of every model so you can better understand what competes against what.

Much of what you have been told in this thread is based on people showing support for what they own and often making rather sweeping generalizations, not all of which are correct. Almost all MH manufacturers make a distinction between their luxury models and their "mass market" ones. Some companies, such as Newmar, span a very large portion of the market with their models, from gasoline to diesel. By no means are all of these considered luxury or even "high end". Yes, Newmar quality is reported as being pretty good, but not all its products compete in the luxury MH market.

In a similar sense , Winnebago has never really competed for the luxury end of the MH market. It makes quality products but not direct competitors for the upper end of the Newmar line or, in their day, Country Coach, Beaver, Monaco and other luxury coach builders.

I encourage you to do some independent research otherwise you will end up being guided by whichever group of owners in these forums yells loudest. That's what we did before purchasing our Beaver and we are very happy with our decision. But I won't encourage you to buy a Beaver simply because I don't want to be part of those that yell, "I bought one, you should too."
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #26

DocJ

Thanks for the input. I wll take some time and review the NADA to get a feel for the order of levels of the different motorhomes that we are considering.

Thank you for your input !

Bulldog
Old 05-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #27

Lots of opinions here--most of them are good--IMHO. Maintenance records and overall condition of the coach will tell you a lot about how it was used and maintained. Challenge is that good outward appearance and low miles are not a guarantee of future dependabilty/performance. Your price ceiling is a bit restrictive but almost any of the brand name coaches can work for you. Only my opinion but something in the 350-400 engine hp range is probably more desireable. Also think you would appreciate a coach with one or more slides--which tends to limit your choice to coaches made after 1998/2000. Everything else tends to be personal choice.
PS--its hard not to offend someone here but DP coaches that were designed to target a lower price point when they were built, may not be a good deal in the used DP market.
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #28

Scout

Thanks for the info.

Bulldog

Tags
diesel