Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
New to RV lifestyle

I am looking for info on which is better gas or diesel. My wife and I are going to by and travel. Your help will be nice. I'm sure I will ask for more info later. Just get me started. Thanks

Dennis emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #2

You're going to get a lot of opinions on this subject, kinda like Chevy vs Ford. Diesels are in the back (usually) so you don't hear the engine when driving. Diesels have a lot of torque which is important if you are towing in hilly terrain. Diesels will have air brakes and air suspension ride so they are more comfy. Gas engines are generally cheaper to purchase and they are cheaper to service. You need to decide how you will be using the rig and where you will spend most of your time RVing. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.
Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I will submit that the floorplan should drive your pick in an RV.

The Diesel or gas selection will be more impacted by budget or desire for higher power (RV's over 40' and/or towing heavy loads).

All the points above are quite accurate.

If buying new(er) gas, since 2010, there is only 1 maker of gas powered Class A chassis' in North America - which is one of several gross weight rated Ford's with the 6.8L Ford Triton V10 w/ 5speed auto. They are very good chassis, but sadly there is no choice to be had.

If buying used gas, older than 2010, there was a GM 8.1L V8 in one of several gross weight rated Workhorse chassis' with 5 or 6 speed Allison. A very good chassis which is still supported, but discontinued due to GM's issues of the recent past.

Best luck shopping
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Lots of good info in the forums. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #5
Glad to have you aboard Dennis. The gas vs diesel debate is long standing and unresolved. Each forum page has an iRV2 search window at the top in a blue rectangle. Your inquiry will reveal reams of opinions sprinkled with some facts.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. We're glad you're here. As mentioned , there have been many threads on this. Here's a link to some of them.

Good luck.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
If you're just getting started I would strongly suggest you go to rv.org and pay what they are asking. If will provide you with a lot of of great information about RV's. It's the most informative source of info I have found for those of us who were pretty much clueless about where to start. It will be the best money you spend on your RV. Then when you've read ALL the material go to oodle.com plug in what you're looking for and it searches the web for all listings and will send you daily updates on what you're looking for.
Good Luck and happy hunting.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I agree with the above. Before thinking about gas or diesel look for floor plans and consider usage. Find a MH floor plan that best works for your plans (travel a lot or stay in one place mostly) and is comfortable. Cost (Gas or diesel) will enter into it but only to enhance your enjoyment.
Wetsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
After having a gasser for 4 years, we're seriously considering a diesel. The heat & noise from the engine which is right under your feet are real negatives. We get blown sideways by semis and any sort of wind has DH white knuckling and I get frequent trips to the rumble strips. We finally got to drive a Newmar Ventana and DH was amazed at how well it handled and how easy it was to drive.

There are positives and negatives for any style whether a B, C or A or gas or diesel. We loved our little gasser and had it not been for the engine location, we'd would probably have not been considering a diesel. Of course, had we not gone to the RV show last spring.....
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
Originally Posted by Dennis emery View Post
I am looking for info on which is better gas or diesel. My wife and I are going to by and travel. Your help will be nice. I'm sure I will ask for more info later. Just get me started. Thanks

This is a apple to orange question it will totally depend on how much your going to drive and how much you budget is. If you test drive both it might help make up your mind.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Budget, anticipated use and comfort while traveling will all be factors in your decision.

For weekend outings and the occasional vacation trip our gas rigs were great. The noise and heat produced by the engine right under our feet is something I do not miss. As we now are full time we wanted our "retirement home" to be fully self sustaining - that is we wanted it to have all the conveniences of our old stick & brick dwellings, albeit on a smaller scale. That meant that besides the bedroom separate from the living area, a kitchen, comfortable to use bathroom(s) it also needed to have on-board laundry facilities along with the space and capacity to haul everything we own, albeit again, on a much pared down scale. I also wanted to be able to use it/drive it anywhere we wanted to go, as much as we wanted to go, for at least 10 years before considering a replacement. This led us to the diesel pusher. Few diesel rigs are abandoned because the drivetrain wore out. It is also so much more comfortable to travel in than any of our gas coaches and with the 30" slides on both sides (a gasser wouldn't be able to take the weight) we don't feel like we're spending our lives in a tin can.

One caveat, the bigger you go, the more restricted you will be as far as places to park it. Many of our state and national parks, even some of the older private parks, just can't accommodate us. This has had minimal impact on us so far though as there's always been someplace nearby that can.

Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote