Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
This is an untrue statement. I did not WANT an RV. I NEEDED one because well, try living 6 years under an 8x6' tarp and see how much you NEED to have a warm dry place to sleep, ANY warm dry place...even a 22' metal box on wheels.

Just because you may not agree with it, does not mean it is untrue.
In your own words you stated that you didn't need an RV, just "ANY warm dry place".

And after reading your long post, there are so many things I disagree with, that I don't know here to start, so I won't.
Those are your opinions and you are free to post them.
But at least I will show you the courtesy of not saying they are untrue, even the ones that are.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Slideouts on modern motorhomes are problem free. Yhey rarely leak and almost never break.
They are always problem free, until they aren't...
$1,150.00 later and mine will once again be problem free.

EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Eelkat:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120523_093411.png
Views:	150
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	21445
Old 05-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Was that really necessary? Or is there something I am missing?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
One thing that you can do, before actually buying, is to rent a class a for a trip. This will show you what you like and do not like.

Even if you do not have a rental company, with one, there are always (around here) people, on Craig's List, with lovely class a's who are renting them out (to help offset their payments).

I saw that someone said that they are harder to drive than a class c. I did not find that. I made the jump from a TT to a class a and my first driving experience, with her, was going from the former owner, over the mountains (two lane road) at twilght. It drove like a dream and just feels like a big station wagon. Granted it is only 32 feet. Don't know what it would be like to drive one of the big boys. I can easily back her into some pretty tight spots, in one try, and I do not have a back up camera (one thing that I do want).

As you stated that you would like to visit federal parks, watch your length. The older parks can not accomodate the really big rigs and since you do not want a toad, at this time, you would not be able to stay outside of the park and then drive in (unless you rented a car).

I wanted a class a for a lot of reasons, one is that I LOVE that big windshield to look out of (both driving and- especially- when I am parked). I LOVE my basement and all of the extra features; auto steps, auto levelers (those are fantastic), a switch (in the bathroom) to start the water pump if you forgot to turn it on, a switch (next to the bed) to start the generator (if you are boondocking) airbags, auto stabilizers (when driving), a switch (on main control pannel) to start the water heater, the list goes on.

As for your granddaughter, I would not limit my search to rigs that had a u-shaped dinette. A regular one makes into a very good size bed (slept on one, myself, for years in my TT) and there are more rigs with those than the u-shaped ones.

Good luck in your search and let us know (with photo's) of what you eventually get.

Sheila

Can't tell that I love my class a, can you??
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Michigan View Post
..... My wife "HATES" a cold bathroom and not enough hot water.
Thank you,
Greg
Hi Greg,

Forgot to mention that, unless you are hooked up to a sewer, you learn to take 'navy' type showers. Get wet, turn off water, soap up, turn on water, rinse. Even if you are hooked up, standard hot water heaters do not allow for the same showers you take in your stix-n-brix.

To extend that, I turn up my water heater and then use more cold water, then hot, in my showers.

I, very highly, recommend getting a Oxygenics shower head (Oxygenics® Shower Heads, Hand Held Showerheads, Water Saving Shower Heads ) with a shower shut off valve (Amazon.com: Danco 89171 Shut-Off Shower Valve, Chrome: Home Improvement )

I have a 60 gallon gray tank and have gone for three weeks between dumps. They are also fantastic on getting shampoo out of hair (I have waist length hair) without sacrificing water usage or filling up your gray tank.

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would also put in a caveat about if you buy used. I just bought a used Diesel Pusher. My unit only has 36000 miles which on a diesel engine is not even considered broken in. I did not know anything about the unit and decided that the Good Sams Club warranty was a lot of money but I know that any repair to a diesel engine or a transmission is expensive. Three weeks into ownership I was driving down the road and I saw smoke coming out everywhere from the back of my coack. I was lucky and had a good place to pull off so I did immeidately. I shut the engine down and when I looked under the engine there was diesel fuel everywhere. I called good sams and they finally got a mechanic out the next day. I suspected one of the high pressure lines from the injector pump and cracked and I was right. I am waiting today for the mechanic to tell me the new part is in and I am going to take the unit to have it replaced. The mechanice put a used part on that he had to make work just to get us going. The total bill for that is going to be about 500.00 and to anyone that knows anything about diesel engines that is a relatively simple fix. You might want to consider a purchaseable warranty if you can get one.

I did have a problem though. It was Friday night of memorial day weekend. I was only about 20 miles from a fairly large town. Good Sams could not find anyone to tow my 38 foot motor allegro bus in. I went to a nearby truck stop with my towed vehicle and they gave me some numbers. I found a tow shop that would tow it in. I gave the roadside assistance people their number and they never called them out. My unit sat alongside the highway from about 7pm Friday until 10:00 Saturday when they finally got a mechanic out there. Has anyone else had any problems getting there diesel pusher towed ?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I did have a problem though. It was Friday night of memorial day weekend. I was only about 20 miles from a fairly large town. Good Sams could not find anyone to tow my 38 foot motor allegro bus in. I went to a nearby truck stop with my towed vehicle and they gave me some numbers. I found a tow shop that would tow it in. I gave the roadside assistance people their number and they never called them out. My unit sat alongside the highway from about 7pm Friday until 10:00 Saturday when they finally got a mechanic out there. Has anyone else had any problems getting there diesel pusher towed ?
I would find that totally unacceptable. I think that's why you'll find the vast majority of members here with Class A rigs choose COACHNET.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #37

Renting is an option, but renting a Class-A is way expensive and you will probably not enjoy all the new experiences. It takes time to get used to the size, learn set-up and tear-down, storage, etc.
I looked into renting a small Class-C for a 3 night stay at a NASCAR race-track campground and found I'd have to spend minimum $700. A couple of months later I bought an older Class-A off Craigslist and have never regretted it. It is my project box now that the house is 90% finished.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Michigan View Post
Mt Areas- we live in Michigan will traveling to Washington State Son Lives there, Montana, Ca coast, the east coast. Wife is from Georgia so no matter which way we go its some kind of Mt.
My wife and are retiring next year so just the 2 of us mostly.
Campgrounds & National Parks mostly
We know that when we are RV'ing it will be no less than 6 weeks and 4 times a year.
No we are not planning on towing.
Thank you
Your last line says you will not be towing....... You probably will change your mind on this subject. Watch going down the road. Take a mental survey, with or without tow. If you have a specific destination with no sight seeing inbetween, maybe a tow is not necessary. We seldom leave ours at home. the old trucker.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Eel Kat post

Holy Cow, Eel Kat!

Did anyone besides Sequim Guy read it all? I will say what Sequim Guy wouldn't, you are misinformed and somewhat ignorant of the facts about motorhomes.

I was going to go on about your post, but I changed my mind.

All I will say is, please keep your posts to reasonable lengths and do a little research before making statements about RV's.

16 cats in a 22' Class C?????

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 06-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Know too than NEARLY ALL mountain roads have posted weight limits (usually the maximum weight is posted at 14,000), and many have "no through trucks" signs. This will effect what you can buy, as you'll have a hard time finding a Class A that weighs LESS THAN 15,000lbs. Most 22' to 28' 1980's vintage Class As weigh in at 13,000 to 15,000, while the 1990s+ ones can top 23,000, putting them way out of bounds for use on many mountain roads. Class Cs typically weigh much less than Class As of the same length. My 22' Class C weighs in at 10,500lbs.
EelKat,

Keep in mind that there are quite literally tens of thousands of Class A diesel pushers out there 40ft and above weighing in at 40,000 plus going up most mountain roads. You generalize a lot in your post, there are so many it would take an equally long or longer response to get into them, for instance the transmission blowing out at the end of a mountain trip... these rigs when properly taken care of can handle the mountains, even the big gasser Class A's can handle them, not fast mind you but they can do it.

Those that can't are and I hate to generalize but I believe this one is safe because it crosses into other areas of mechanical things... those that can't are those that typically aren't taken care of. My V10 is 1st generation so not exactly as potent as the newer 365 hp V10's but it did make it up 8% grades, several times in fact without blowing anything and it's 13 years old so not exactly a spring chicken.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #41

Quote:
Slides are another thing to consider. You can double the size of your MH with the bush of a button. But if you have pets or children/grandchildren under the age 8, you should avoid slides like the plauge. Cats, dogs, and children are notorious for getting run over, crushed, twisted up, delimbed, or even killed by slides as they are moving in or out. You mentioned a 14month old baby, so I woul advice you avoid any RV with slides.
Ok, last one because this one is pretty much just insane. Please show me one article or news story where a pet or a child got "run over, crushed, twisted up, delimbed, or even killed by slides as they are moving in or out". Bugs don't count though...

Please, if you're going to give advice have some facts not assumptions that you made up. I mean just WOW this was a doozer...
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I will comment on two other things - we have a split bath, and the fact that you can separate the toilet from the shower is HUGE. We used to have a trailer with a combo and it could cause real stress on occasion.

Second, the aqua hot is generally only available on bigger, more expensive coaches, but when you can take a 15 minute shower compared to a 2 minute shower, it makes you like your coach a lot more. Of course this only applies when you are on water and sewer.
Agreed on the split bathroom, unless you have 2 bathrooms in the rig I love that ours is split. Private toilet room is a must for us as well.

I would love an aqua hot, the original owner stuffed our rig with every option except the larger hot water tank or the aqua hot. Since we mostly go to RV parks with full hook ups I take as long of a shower as I can which is typically about 12 minutes with blazing hot water. Not too shabby.