Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #43

I have a 25' Class C built on a Dodge 3500 chassis. It is pretty much a rare find, and my wife and I love it. We bought it in 2000 and have driven it everywhere, including MT., WY., CO., CA., UT., AR., TX., ND., SD., and everywhere in between. It is equipped with the Cummins diesel, and it is a great engine It scampers over the Big HOrn mountains, and over the other high passes in the Rocky Mountains as if they were ant hills. WE just bought a Gulf Stream 40' Class A with a Caterpillar pusher. We are not at all impressed with the power coming from the engine. It has a hard time with the hills here in NY., where we live, and we are not looking foward to travel in the West, where they have real mountains. Another thing to think about, is the length. Most mountain passes in the West has length restrictions. Nothing over 36'. Same thing with National Parks. I have driven in several countries, and I have driven everything up to and including Fire trucks and tanker trucks, I raced cars in my younger days. Now that I am a senior citizen, driving a vehicle that is 40' long and over 8' wide (mirror to mirror), trust me it's scary, especially going over a mountain pass. In the Class C, nowhere near. The next thing to think about is storage. You can't beat a Class A for storage. However if you can find a Class C with enough storage, Great. Next is the Dealership. If the salesman has no experience driving and using a motorhome, walk away. I am sure there are other important things to think about, but at my age, I am lucky I can keep track of my underwear draw. One more thing to keep in mind, It is great to travel with your own bedroom, and bathroom, your own bacteria, sheets, furniture, etc. Go buy a new Walmart atlas every year, and go travel. As long as you know where the closest Walmart is, and where the closest MacDonalds is, you're home.
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Wow... lot's of questionable information has been posted here. I'll just add a few opinions to the mix:

1) Generally speaking, the larger the MH the fewer people it's designed to sleep. There are tons of Class C's out there designed to sleep 6, 8, even 10 but our 40 DP is designed to sleep TWO... plus a love seat that folds flat can sleep the two grand babies in a pinch. Class A's outfitted to sleep large numbers and equipped with pull down beds are a bit of a rarity.

2) General comments about mountain passes limiting the length and weight of vehicles to 36' and 14,000 lbs just don't agree with my experience and travels through 34 states. I think these limitation do exist on some back roads but not on the major thoroughfares.

3) Slides do add a bit of mechanical complexity to the mix but it is more than worth the trade off for additional living space.

4) Renting a Class A for six months to see if you like it.... or spending three years looking for just the right rig are both prohibitively expensive IMO. The first in terms of money and the second in terms of time.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Wow... lot's of questionable information has been posted here. I'll just add a few opinions to the mix:

1) Generally speaking, the larger the MH the fewer people it's designed to sleep. There are tons of Class C's out there designed to sleep 6, 8, even 10 but our 40 DP is designed to sleep TWO... plus a love seat that folds flat can sleep the two grand babies in a pinch. Class A's outfitted to sleep large numbers and equipped with pull down beds are a bit of a rarity.

2) General comments about mountain passes limiting the length and weight of vehicles to 36' and 14,000 lbs just don't agree with my experience and travels through 34 states. I think these limitation do exist on some back roads but not on the major thoroughfares.

3) Slides do add a bit of mechanical complexity to the mix but it is more than worth the trade off for additional living space.

4) Renting a Class A for six months to see if you like it.... or spending three years looking for just the right rig are both prohibitively expensive IMO. The first in terms of money and the second in terms of time.

Best of luck.

Rick
Agreed with everything but wanted to add that the bigger CLass A's designed for sleeping four (I have never seen one without a front couch that turns into a bed at least) are for good reason. Generally speaking, which in this thread is a given, Class C's are built for younger families with kids and this is the class most people with families start in because it's more affordable.

As we get older we again, generally move up in size and possibly move up to Class A's. Most Class A's have a jack-knife bed or dinette that turns into a bed so sleeping up to six isn't rare. My F53 based 13 year old Endeavor rides pretty well over most things but frost heaves drive it nuts. Considering everything I can't complain and people who have riden in it tell me it rides very nicely.

Personally and generally speaking I perfer Class A's because of storage and the ride is better. I have yet to ride in a decent riding Class C but I'm sure some do, just haven't found one. A Super C is a different story, haven't riden in one yet but I would love to try one out!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #46

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
bgc44a, I completely disagree with you. My 38 foot Bounder with a 300 Cat has been up the mountains in CO. South to North. From Creede to Estes Park. Lots of big mountains to go up on that trip. Also the mountains in Tennessee, New Mexico and, Texas. One of those in TN. is only a 4% grade but, it is 4 miles long. West of Kerrville, TX. there are two 7% grade hills that one follows the other. Those two are close to a mile long. My 300 Cat has performed very well in all of these situations. I downshift my Allison to a gear that I feel like is best for the situation. Usually 3rd or 4th gear and, it's up and over. Remembering to not go down the hill faster than you went up it. Just leave the tranny in the same gear you went up in and when you get to bottom shift it back up to 6th and away you go down the highway.

Jerry