Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

New to RV need lots of information

I have never owned and RV. I am searching for information on purchasing a Class A motor home. I was thinking Class C but members have suggested I ask about Class A's. I will be traveling in MT areaís what is the longest I should I be looking at. What size engine? Looking to buy used with low mileage. I would all so like to know proís and conís on U-shape tables and split bathrooms. Going to the RV show next week. I would like to know thinking I should be looking for. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome!

When you say you will be "traveling in MT areas" do you mean in Montana or just mountain areas?

Other items which will help members to give good advice are:

*how much/often will you use it?
*how many people will be traveling in it?
*do you think you'll be staying mostly in campgrounds or boon docking?
*do you plan to tow a car?
*do you have a rough idea of your budget?

In a Class A you'll need to answer the gas/diesel question and the above information will help with that.

I can't help with your question about the dinette because we use a free standing table but the split bath is very nice with the toilet being in its own room.

Best of luck and enjoy the RV show!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well alot of the questions you're asking are of personal choice. You say your going to and rv show. That will give you a good idea of what would work best for you. Then the search can begin with at least something close to what you've determined to work best for you. As far as chassis in the gas rigs you'll have Workhorse or Ford. I've owned both and they are both very good and the engines are powerful enough but I prefer the Workhorse for the teaming with the Allison Transmission. It's a hard one to beat. Then there's the Diesel chassis. So many to pick from Freightliner, Spartan, Roadmaster etc. along with the different powerplants that they offer. I don't have enough knowledge to comment on that only to say they are much heavier and can carry a LOT more on board things when it comes to packing stuff. They usually have the 10K lb towing capacity vs. 5K on gas coaches. So if you intend to tow that enters the picture as well. There's alot to consider but when it comes time for the working interior pattern make sure the MRS. is with you. Everything has to flow and the ladies usually have the best idea for that. You know the saying if momma isn't happy, nobody is going to be happy. Well that's just some insight I hope it doesn't confuse you but your about to outlay a whole lot of cash. Good luck with the shopping experience and when you get that coach I hope you enjoy all your travels. Hope to see down the road, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #4

After you have it a few years you will learn what you like and what you wish you had. If gas look at the 22k chassis. Buy used and learn what best fits you, then if you want you can upgrade.

Just my $0.02
Old 03-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

This advice pertains to Diesel Pushers as to what is really important from an ease of ownership perspective:

-Spartan Chassis with Independent Front Suspension gives you a great ride and great factory support. The other chassis builders are fine too, but look for IFS as a design feature that will make driving the unit a real pleasure.

-Cummins ISC engine gives you the displacement for the torque that gives you good performance

- Side radiators for ease of engine access and less cleaning of the radiator itself

-Tank capacities. Look for 100 gallon fresh water, 60 gallon grey and 40 gallon black. 150 gallon fuel. This will give you a lot of flexibility on how you use the coach.

-Large CCC. Look for around 4K pounds so that there is virtually no chance of being over weight

- Real wood cabinetry

- Make sure that you have plenty of cooling and heating capacity.

- Personal preference, but a private commode room makes it easy to bring friends and family along for sporting events, music festivals etc.

- 40 footers are a nice size for newbies. Big enough for comfort but small enough to lower the intimidation factor and get into most campgrounds.

- Full body paint

Use the show to get a feel for things, then look for your short list models several years old to save a nice amount of money and to reduce the depreciation expense.

Have fun!

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hi and welcome!

When you say you will be "traveling in MT areas" do you mean in Montana or just mountain areas?

Other items which will help members to give good advice are:

*how much/often will you use it?
*how many people will be traveling in it?
*do you think you'll be staying mostly in campgrounds or boon docking?
*do you plan to tow a car?
*do you have a rough idea of your budget?

In a Class A you'll need to answer the gas/diesel question and the above information will help with that.

I can't help with your question about the dinette because we use a free standing table but the split bath is very nice with the toilet being in its own room.

Best of luck and enjoy the RV show!

Rick
Mt Areas- we live in Michigan will traveling to Washington State Son Lives there, Montana, Ca coast, the east coast. Wife is from Georgia so no matter which way we go its some kind of Mt.
My wife and are retiring next year so just the 2 of us mostly.
Campgrounds & National Parks mostly
We know that when we are RV'ing it will be no less than 6 weeks and 4 times a year.
No we are not planning on towing.
Thank you
Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
This advice pertains to Diesel Pushers as to what is really important from an ease of ownership perspective:

-Spartan Chassis with Independent Front Suspension gives you a great ride and great factory support. The other chassis builders are fine too, but look for IFS as a design feature that will make driving the unit a real pleasure.

-Cummins ISC engine gives you the displacement for the torque that gives you good performance

- Side radiators for ease of engine access and less cleaning of the radiator itself

-Tank capacities. Look for 100 gallon fresh water, 60 gallon grey and 40 gallon black. 150 gallon fuel. This will give you a lot of flexibility on how you use the coach.

-Large CCC. Look for around 4K pounds so that there is virtually no chance of being over weight

- Real wood cabinetry

- Make sure that you have plenty of cooling and heating capacity.

- Personal preference, but a private commode room makes it easy to bring friends and family along for sporting events, music festivals etc.

- 40 footers are a nice size for newbies. Big enough for comfort but small enough to lower the intimidation factor and get into most campgrounds.

- Full body paint

Use the show to get a feel for things, then look for your short list models several years old to save a nice amount of money and to reduce the depreciation expense.

Have fun!

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Thank you, this is the information I am looking for from people who have been RV for a while and know what to look for.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

"No we are not planning on towing."

I can't imagine going anywhere without a toad, don't want to sit in the RV all day or rent cars all the time. But that's just me.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Lets face it you are ignorant of what you're ignorant of. I was in the same boat. Go to rv.org pay what they're asking, it will be the best money you'll have spent on the rv you eventually will buy. It's worth it!!! Then when you figure out what kind of coaches you're interested in go to oodle.com plug in what you're looking for. They search all over the web and pull from multiple sources then they will email you with daily updates of what you're looking for. When you find the coach you're interested in plan on spending some time and $$$ to go to where it's located and check it out top to bottom inside and out. You will find some scams out there that sound too good to be true. Well they aren't. Generally the seller will always be unavailable to show you the coach. Remember you will get lots of advice from a lot of folks. This coach has to fit your needs and wants not someone else's. Spend the time and effort it takes to find what you want at the price you want. Good luck
Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
"No we are not planning on towing."

I can't imagine going anywhere without a toad, don't want to sit in the RV all day or rent cars all the time. But that's just me.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
I agree. Suggest you keep an open mind on this topic.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #11

RV without a toad is tough. I pulled a trailer for years, but I could use the tow vehicle. With the motor home had to have a toad.

We pull through the mountains - Montana, Washington State, Nevada, California, Utah, etc. several times a year.

Your budget will have some significance regarding what you wind up with, but bigger is better! More room and easier to drive (contrary to what you might think). Some other questions to consider -
*What time of year will you travel?
*How many people in the RV?
*How often and for what duration will you use it?

If you will be traveling in cold weather you want to consider an AquaHot. How many people dictates floor plan and interior amenities. The more often you use it and a longer duration each time will push you towards a bigger coach.

Tag axles are more stable and more comfortable to drive, and less susceptible to winds. Big engine (500hp or more) means hills are less of an issue.

The big thing to remember about mountain driving is that going uphill with a smaller engine means you will be slow, but going DOWN hill without a true engine brake (or a Jacobs brake) is scary and requires more caution. An engine brake will keep your speed down without using the service brakes.

Good luck.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
RV without a toad is tough. I pulled a trailer for years, but I could use the tow vehicle. With the motor home had to have a toad.
I have found that some kind of extra vehicle is really handy. You have the option of just having another person driving a second vehicle with you, eliminating the cost of a tow bar & brake setup. That vehicle can also go ahead of you to scout out unknown roads/intersections/gas station layouts/parking lots and report back to you via cell phone or CB before you get into a bind.

Another option is a small motorcycle or scooter on a carrier. It gives you the mobility that you need, no extra charge at tool booths, and it's no problem backing up the MH with it attached.

Oh yeah, it take up less space when staying a Camp Walmart.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RV-Michigan,
The process you are embarking on can easily drive you crazy. My suggestion is to keep it simple. The final decision is when you bring the following point and your budget together.

1. Focus on the floor plan and storage. These are the things you'll love or hate about the coach for a very long time.
2. Engine HP should be no greater than 100 lbs per HP. If the ration is over this, you'll need quite a bit of patience. (This is for diesel power).
3. Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC)/Net Carrying Capacity (NCC) Will the coach carry you and all your stuff.
4. Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) Will the coach carry you, all your stuff and the car you will tow. I know you said you're not going to tow. However, my first coach was in 1978 so, trust me, you'll be towing something.
5. If you buy pre-owned, purchase a service contract for the first year. Good Sam offers this product.

The only difference that matters between diesel or gas powered coach is that diesel will push more weight. More weight equals a larger coach and more amenities.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Michigan View Post
I have never owned and RV. I am searching for information on purchasing a Class A motor home. I was thinking Class C but members have suggested I ask about Class A's. I will be traveling in MT areaís what is the longest I should I be looking at. What size engine? Looking to buy used with low mileage. I would all so like to know proís and conís on U-shape tables and split bathrooms. Going to the RV show next week. I would like to know thinking I should be looking for. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Not trying to complicate your life, but are you sure you want a motor home? After 3 MH's, we are now very happy with a larger fifth wheel trailer. It's much less complicated than our diesel pushers were and almost any Ford (or Chevy or Ram) dealer can work on the power unit (pickup truck.) No messing with tow bar and auxiliary braking system.
We had preconceived notion that we wanted a diesel pusher. After a lot of $$, we realized that wasn't what we really needed.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote