Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #1

New to RV world

Hi all, We just bought a 07 Bay Star with 1800 miles on it. It has been sitting for 2 yrs as there was a death in the family. My husband and I are trying to find a book or someplace to explain how things work and how to check and maintain it. I have not found a lot of willing service places unless I want to pay 199-299. for each system check. We have never even been inside one until now. I know I should of asked a lot more questions before but .... We were just so excited. Any advice, help, suggestions would be so appreciated.
Thank you
Sue

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/bay-star-owners-161121.html this is for a 2013, on the page is link to download a pdf, might help with some of what you need. free/

Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2.com . There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board when it comes to RV's so ask away. And congrats on your purchase.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
but few things you may diffently want to do. sanitize water, on here is a few threads/post on how to do this, same way for all rv's. bleach 1/3 cup.
not sure if needed to be done, but i would change eng/generator oil. especialy after 2 yrs. an if gas eng. gas turns into laquer, after time, so may have to change fuel filter. take it to campers world, they can help with that.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #5

I have a app to install a inverter at camping world. Just waiting for parts to come in. I am hoping my first experience with them was because they were holiday busy. I am in a wheelchair and on oxygen. They really didn't have a lot of patience with me when I went up there. You guys on here have been more helpful in the last ten minutes than anyplace or anyone I have spoke to. Thank you all so much b
Old 01-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #7

be sure to check if factory recalls have been done.
without spending any time i see it probably has a norcold reefer that has had a coupe of issues that need to be addressed before you use it.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueca View Post
I have a app to install a inverter at camping world. Just waiting for parts to come in. I am hoping my first experience with them was because they were holiday busy. I am in a wheelchair and on oxygen. They really didn't have a lot of patience with me when I went up there. You guys on here have been more helpful in the last ten minutes than anyplace or anyone I have spoke to. Thank you all so much b
Personally I'd go most anywhere else rather than Camping World. Can be a little difficult to find a service location that's both honest and reliable but they do exist. Also consider what you need done. Oil change, fuel filter, tires, ect are straight auto/truck services. No need for RV specific. I've had good luck with my local one man auto shop as he'll take the time to sort things out.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #9

Thanks Beaverfever. I will check that out. So appreciated.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #10

I'm quickly finding that out regarding CW. . They will be the last place I go after this. Thanks .. I thought I had to go strictly to rv places.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sueca,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar family of owners. iRV2 has a forum dedicated to Newmar products. Go to Newmar Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums to visit the Newmar Owners Forum. Consider posting questions about your coach in this forum. This is where the Newmar owners hang out and the answers you receive should be accurate and reliable.

Consider contacting Newmar at 800-731-8300. They may have some of the items you need. Also, many of the manufacturers of the components have owner manuals on line. Refrigerator, furnace, water heater, generator, engine, transmission, etc. manuals can all be found on line. Usually one needs the model number and sometimes the serial number of the appliance.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Last but not least Pictures and Pictures...
You will get lots of take it here take it there all day long. I for one like CW but there are other's that don't like them, same goes for type of MH they have. To each there own. Can you tell us where are you, (not home address) but N S E W. This will help to advise you of places that are around your state to go too, for parts and services.
There are lots of places now adays that sell MH/RV stuff Example WallMart never new they had the stuff but they do and some of them will let you stay overnight in ther lot just ask mangement. There are lots of fourms @ this site and one of them has brochures(sp) of every type.
Good luck and have fun with your new toy,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi all, We just bought a 07 Bay Star with 1800 miles on it. It has been sitting for 2 yrs as there was a death in the family. My husband and I are trying to find a book or someplace to explain how things work and how to check and maintain it. I have not found a lot of willing service places unless I want to pay 199-299. for each system check. We have never even been inside one until now. I know I should of asked a lot more questions before but .... We were just so excited. Any advice, help, suggestions would be so appreciated.
Thank you
Sue
Hello Sue and welcome to iRV2! You will find LOTS of videos on YouTube that are very helpful for RV repairs and maintenance. Also, you can check with http://rvservicereviews.com/ for information and reviews of service providers in your area.

If you have specific questions (generator, refrigerator, etc), scroll down to the appropriate section of the forum and post your questions. We'll try to help. You will be amazed at how much you can learn by simply READING here on the forum! Good luck to you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hi all, We just bought a 07 Bay Star.... We have never even been inside one until now.............. Any advice, help, suggestions would be so appreciated.
Thank you
Sue
In addition to the good advice you've already received here, I'd like to suggest you visit the appropriate CHASSIS forum here on iRv2. Your Bay Star is either a Ford or a Workhorse chassis. If it is a Workhorse, you'll want to VERIFY that the Bosch Brake recall was completed. I can help with that if needed. Ed