Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
New to RV'ing

We have decided to purchase an RV and begun our search. would like a class A. Any suggestions on brands? Looking to spend about $100k.

Rv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
assume you mean a used MH for 100K. The best DP which is all Iknow since I looked for a year before buying mine the best is Monaco Dynasty 2004-2006 lots of them around for that price or less. Has a 400 HP Cummins Tag axle great roadmaster frame very comfortable and quiet. All depends if you like the various floor plans

jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The first thing is to decided what you want to do with it. Full time, Part time, Snow bird, Tail gate...

The second thing is to look at dozens and dozens of floor plans from different manufacturers to see what you think you like.

From that you will start getting an idea of what is out there and what looks good. Don't rule out Class C, TT or 5th wheels unless you know you want a Class A.

Even after all of that you will have lots of decisions to make. The biggest will be budget.

It can be a long process if you have no previous experience and patience is key. You will want to sort all this stuff out so that you have the best chance of buying what you want and can afford the first time.

Most all the big MH manufacturers have brochure archives so you can see older model floor plans and specifications. Spend a lot of time researching them. That is where you might start to fine tune what manufacturer models you want to key in on.

As an example, after Sandee and I THOUGHT we bought the right MH (2006 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, 39' gasser) we got smarter and did a lot more research before buying our DSDP 4320. Some of the things we wanted were:

1. King bed
  2. Separated shower and toilet areas
  3. Diesel Pusher
  4. 40-43'
  5. Good insulation (for full time)
  6. Side radiator
  7. Cummins Engine
This list narrowed down makes and models significantly. We really got to the point I had about memorized the Newmar line of DSDP products from 2002-2010. Why DSDP? Well, Winnebago didn't have a floor plan that we liked and after researching other manufacturers we just felt Newmar was our best choice. There are plenty of well built MHs from other manufacturers but at some point you may need to find one that you feel good about within the limits of all the requirements you want and within your budget.

Take your time and GOOD LUCK!
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
look in manufacturer archives for a florrplan that suits your needs. DO NOT hesitate to go a few years older to get a high end coach, you wont regret that. Keep in mind 40' and under doesn't require a special drivers license endorsement in many states like mine (CA) so that helps and I believe helps resale.

We shopped floorplans, looked at RV lots at used models and then used the online services to find out what the market is. I paid much less for an RV that bluebooked well over $120K so it is kind of hard to trust NADA as well.

For me, my requirements were:
DP with significant towing capability (mine is 15K lbs)
significant Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC)
full pass through basement storage, not sure how folks live without this ;-)
maximum floorplan via slides, mine has 4 and some have full wall slides.
no rubber roof - most have fiberglass now me thinks
I have kids, need couches not chairs to sleep on.

Now, with my rig I had to upgrade the TV's. No big deal. TVs are cheap and I can fabricate, so I now have a 39" up front, a 37" outside and soon to be 24" in bedroom.

Go slow, check out a few models and that will really hone your perspectives on what you do and do not want if RVing is totally new to you.

American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
If you have no experience in RVing, I would suggest that you not spend $100,000 in case you do not like the lifestyle.

Before I purchased my current DP, I purchased, as my first RV, an old, small class A. It was gas. I kept it awhile and the need to make repairs, learn the systems, etc., not only allowed me to "test" the RV life, but to learn. Each repair was a learning experience, each system was a challenge to learn.

I admit that we did add a new couch and mattress and chair to insure it was comfortable, but I never regretted it. I later gave it to my daughter.

Having had the experience, my wife and I agreed we loved RVing and bought a newer, larger class A which we kept for 12 years.

Note that I was in that first RV less than $10,000. Today that is probably $20,000, however, as a trade-in you probably could get most of your money back. if you spend $100,000 and decide you do not like RVing, I guarantee that you will lose $20,000 or more in getting rid of that $100,000 unit.
ebksafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A further note on the drivers license. Some states require a class B non-CDL for coaches over 26,000# GVWR.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Thank you for the advice. Any opinions on manufacturers?
Rv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You'll find most us love our rigs, and that we've made good purchases, that being said I like the following for performance, parts and service availability:
Freightliner chassis
Cummins power
Allison trans.
Onan genset
And if you're. Towing Blu-Ox 10k lb.

There are a few RV manufacturers that use the above.
John and Vicki,2004 Winne Vectra 350 Cummins, 10k lb Blu Ox tow bar , 04 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd toad
cmpncrsaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
The most important thing, IMHO, is the floor plan! I looked for over a year and realized that a bath and a half was almost a necessity (I ended up with a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor for $70K).
Do you only need one couch or two? You must be comfortable in the evening or if it rains all day to watch TV.
Is there enough room to get out of bed and to the bathroom in the middle of the night or are you turning your body sideways to get to the bathroom?
Is there enough closet space?
Is there a good place for the dogs to sleep?

The list could go on but these are just some of my thoughts.

Good luck!
2004 40' HR Endeavor
Bailey & Laci (the schnauzers)
Vette4ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by Rv4 View Post
We have decided to purchase an RV and begun our search. would like a class A. Any suggestions on brands? Looking to spend about $100k.

Lots of great info here.

Another tidbit, quite a few mh's are sold BEFORE they hit the dealerships lots. I know, trusting a salesman is a risk, but they know when a well maintained / great shape previously sold unit is being traded in. You still need to have it checked out.

That's how we came across ours.
John & Diann
2014 Dutch Star 4364 - 2011 CRV EX-L AWD
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Make sure you buy a rig that has maintenance records. If you can get a tag you won't be sorry. I wish I had one now. I have a Newmar Dutchstar with a 330 kitty cat 3852 and now really wish I would have gotten a tag from the beginning. Welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks here with real world hands on advice! Safe Travels!

Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote