Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #15

What is the shortest class A motor home that Winnebago makes with a diesel pusher ??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
That varies by year, but I have a 2005 that is 34.7' and they made a 32T that year that is 32'8". But, you need the right options - trans/Motor to get the tow capacity you need. The base 32t can only tow 5k while the option with Allison 6 Speed can tow 10k. In my 34H I needed the same trans and that came with a CAT C7 350hp.

Have you found the brochure page at Winnebago?

Old 09-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #17

Any suggestions on a good tow bar for my Traverse to hitch behind my RV ? The RV is a 40 foot diesel pusher, What about brakes on the car ? is it necessary?
Old 09-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahpines View Post
Any suggestions on a good tow bar for my Traverse to hitch behind my RV ? The RV is a 40 foot diesel pusher, What about brakes on the car ? is it necessary?
Look at Blue Ox, will require a "base plate" that attaches to frame and the tow bar will attach to it. I have the Blue Ox system. Brakes another issue, supplemental brake is required based on weight and state, biggest concern for your rig is going to be break away brakes to meet legal requirements in many states regardless of weight. I use the Brake Buddy, my choice because not "installed" in car, can be moved from vehicle to vehicle easily, work by sensor that activates air pressure to apply brake in towed vehicle, the newer Vantage series is nice as the brake intensity and braking "style" (full or proportional) can be adjusted on the fly by remote from towing vehicle. Many other choices out the for both items, these are just my choices, I flat tow a Chevrolet Malibu, one of few automatic transmission cars that can be towed without pump or other consideration, check owners manual on your Traverse regarding flat (4 down) towing.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

If you post this question to the Toads & MH Towing you will get a lot more responses to your question.

Also, is your Traverse AWD? Can it be towed?
Old 09-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #20

Thanks! It is a front wheel drive and according to the dealer, it can be towed.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Thanks! It is a front wheel drive and according to the dealer, it can be towed.
Look at the owners manual regarding towing. NEVER believe what the dealer says
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #22

I have pulled a lot of horse trailers of different configurations. I am glad you are looking at a diesel - you will need the diesel to be able to pull the weight you will have with three horses. The other issue is the length of the RV. If the RV is too short, you will have the tail wagging the dog, which is a very unsafe situation. I would not go any shorter than 36 feet. Winnebago makes a good coach. Also look at Newmar and Tiffin. Take your time looking at different coaches.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi Before you buy a motorhome whether gas or diesel you have to know the weight of the trailer with the horses and then the weight of the rv.

Example: if trailer weighs complete with horses 3000 lbs and the chassis is rated at 22000 lbs then the gcvw is 25000 lbs which is under the manufacturers gcvw of 26000 lbs then you are ok. However if you are over the gcvw than you must get a chassis that will allow you to tow more weight. The label would be in owners manual or some place on the coach. Don't tow 5000 lbs just because the hitch is rated at that weight.

Good Luck

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, rving