Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

New to rving in a motorhome/help!

We have camped for years in our horse trailer w/living quarters, but are now ready to travel further with a motorhome, capable of pulling a 3 horse aluminum horse trailer. We have just started looking at used motorhomes in the range of $30-$40K, and have been impressed by the Winnebagos with the Ford V10 engine. We were advised not to go smaller than 31'. We are looking at a 2003 Coachman Rendezvous that is 34' w/GM Workhorse. Does anyone have an opinion on the quality of the Coachman vs Winnebago and the Chevy vs Ford engines for towing?
mariahpines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my personal opinion (which everybody has one) I think Winnebago builds a better quality coach than Coachman but they also cost more.

As far as the 8.1L Workhorse vs the Ford V10 I'll take the 8.1L Workhorse. It is quieter and it has the Allison transmission. It gets more power at lower revs than the Ford V10 does.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #3
KEH

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahpines View Post
We have camped for years in our horse trailer w/living quarters, but are now ready to travel further with a motorhome, capable of pulling a 3 horse aluminum horse trailer. We have just started looking at used motorhomes in the range of $30-$40K, and have been impressed by the Winnebagos with the Ford V10 engine. We were advised not to go smaller than 31'. We are looking at a 2003 Coachman Rendezvous that is 34' w/GM Workhorse. Does anyone have an opinion on the quality of the Coachman vs Winnebago and the Chevy vs Ford engines for towing?
In my initial search I too was looking at gas coaches, but changed my focus to diesel for the durability etc. Worth consideration especially since you will be towing the horses.
Fulltimer's - Class of 2014
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEH View Post
In my initial search I too was looking at gas coaches, but changed my focus to diesel for the durability etc. Worth consideration especially since you will be towing the horses.
The issue is going to be the 30-40k range.
The other thing is "stay away from small units" and towing a trailer that holds 3 horses.

What does said trailer weigh?

Most V10 (or V8 Chevy) RVs at 31' or greater are pretty much maxed out without a trailer. And in terms of power, they'll be OK straight and level as long as it's not hot outside, but beyond that, forget it...

If I had to do V10 gas and tow, I'd be looking for smaller - 24' or so, and verify that they tow capacity was there.

Diesel IS better.. But the DP market in the 30-40k range, you'll be 5-10 years older than the same thing V10 gas... and there may be a power issue.

I'd think, in the 30-40k range, that a nice diesel truck with a horse trailer and living quarters IS the answer... At least until you can step up to the price range of a Super-C.

A Jayco Senica (diesel) might fit the bill... In the 2005-2008-range... Maybe.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
How much do horses and the trailer weigh? Be careful in your search as some gas MH's can leave you with a very low tow capacity - like #3500 or worse.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:41 PM   #6

We have a 33' and I do wish it was 36. Another 3' wouldn't be any trouble at all. It's gas and has no power on hills. 35 max on uphill and that's without any tow. So the big ones are maxed out on power without towing. DP is the way to go for towing, be patient you'll find the right one.. good luck
Old 09-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
How much do horses and the trailer weigh? Be careful in your search as some gas MH's can leave you with a very low tow capacity - like #3500 or worse.
Beat me to it!! Even our Dutch Star 40' 4090 W/Cummins ISC only had a 6,000# limit. Our present rig has a 15,000# tow rating.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #8

95-04 Class A diesels under 45k on RVTrader:

Class A RVs Motorhomes For Sale-New or Used on RV Trader
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Beat me to it!! Even our Dutch Star 40' 4090 W/Cummins ISC only had a 6,000# limit. Our present rig has a 15,000# tow rating.
Was your DS hitch limited at 6000lbs?
Our MA Cummins ISC has a 5000lb hitch, but GCWR is 10,000lbs higher than GVWR (41k/31k).
I don't tow over 4k. But I assume I could upgrade the hitch and pull 10k if I needed.
powchazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
First check out the hitch rating. These hitches on motorhomes have a max rating on them. Second, check out the tow capacity of the motorhome. Most shorter gas coaches have a low tow capacity. From my experience hauling my 4 horse trailer with 2-4 horses, aluminum-lite trailer, you will be over the tow rating of a gas coach. My horses weigh between 1100 and 1200 lbs each. Then I carry all my tack, feed, hay, which adds more to the weight. So quick answer in my view is that you would be unsafe towing 3 horses with gear behind a gas coach. Going over the hitch rating is very unsafe and can result in breakaway of the trailer if the hitch fails. Not to mention that axle rating also plays into it and if you have a rear axle failure you are in big trouble. Don't do it!

If you can find an older diesel coach with a 10,000 lb hitch on it with towing capacity that exceeds your total weight of the loaded trailer you would be just fine.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #11

Thanks SO much for the input! We have shifted our search to the diesel, older Winnebago models. We're pretty much sold on the quality of the Winnebago. We have found some at a dealer in Ringgold, Georgia. Will call them tomorrow. Any experience buying across state lines? Also, is there an organization similar to AAA for RVs?
mariahpines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powchazr View Post
Was your DS hitch limited at 6000lbs?
Our MA Cummins ISC has a 5000lb hitch, but GCWR is 10,000lbs higher than GVWR (41k/31k).
I don't tow over 4k. But I assume I could upgrade the hitch and pull 10k if I needed.
Yes, the hitch had a 6,000# sticker on it but Spartan said I could change the hitch to a 10,000# unit and tow the higher limit with no problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
AAA offers a "plus rv" option.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahpines View Post
Thanks SO much for the input! We have shifted our search to the diesel, older Winnebago models. We're pretty much sold on the quality of the Winnebago. We have found some at a dealer in Ringgold, Georgia. Will call them tomorrow. Any experience buying across state lines? Also, is there an organization similar to AAA for RVs?
Here is a few organizations for you to check out.

AAA - AAA Road Service. 24 hours a day/7 days a week

Home Page - Coach-Net.com

Good Sam RV Club – RV camping discounts and memberships

FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, rving