Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
New to RV'ing - question about generator usage

I know that my generator is the only thing that will power my rooftop AC units, yet, in the generator and RV manuals, they both say "do not sleep in RV with generator running." Is this just a statement for legal purposes only??? In the summer at night, I fully expect i will want AC all night long.

Am i missing something here? Tx
Special Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #2

Where does you generator exhaust terminate. Mine goes out the back behind the bedroom slide. With a good CO detector I would feel comfortable sleeping with the genny running. I did see a MH that had a stainless steel 3 inch ( maybe a little larger) tube running up the back of the coach venting the exhaust out the top. It was remarkably quiet. If we boondock more with other campers I might consider doing something similar.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #3

Written by lawyers. I won't sleep with my genny running without a functioning CO detector.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2. Your ac's should work on shore power as well ?? Many people sleep with their genny's on. You'll want to be sure you have a good carbon monoxide detector and if your fumes are getting into the RV , they can be diverted with an extension on the tailpipe called a gen turi.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #5

I use the generator auto start on our MH at all hours when camping out in the open.
Have 2 CO detectors that are operational.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some motorhomes only run one a/c off of shore power. Generally rigs with 30 amp supply. As for running gen all night for A/C, you can do it of it is a factory installed unit with no exhaust leaks. People have self installed generators in a non generator cabinet and have poisoned themselves from the exhaust.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since the risk of CO2 poisoning is real, the lawyers have given you warning not to sue the RV Mfgt...and if you get a Gen-Turi, you're sure to not be smelling the fumes.

Gen-turi Generator Exhaust System - Camco RV 44461 - Automotive Accessories - Camping World
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #8

most campgrounds have quiet time. generators not allowed during this time or some neighbor will explain it to you in not so nice terms.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
generator is in the very front of the unit - between driver and passenger area (THor Palazzo). The exhaust tube comes out in front of the front left wheel about 6-8 inches from the body. The coach does of course have a CO2 detector inside.

And because of my hobby (mtn bike racing), I will use the RV at lots of places where there is no local hookups for power, water, etc. so have to be self contained.
Special Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a palazzo and I have my genny to run via ags. I have had it running at night with no issues, just remember to close the front window our the fumes will come in lol this trip it had been a nice temp at night and forgot to close the window had it open furring the day, well the co2 detector woke me up and scared the .... Out of me. But since I keep the window closed and things are fine
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #11

Welcome to the forum. Run only with CO detector that you know is reliable. I would have two of them to be extra safe and the Gen turi is a good idea...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #12

Based upon a quick search, your Palazzo is a diesel with a diesel genny.

Very small CO in diesel exhaust, with your CO detector and you should be just fine.

Lawyer talk as others have said.

Gas genny, a completely different issue.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #13

Also need to consider neighbours, especially if you are running the exhaust up and out above the roof. Neighbour might have roof hatches open and your exhaust ends up inside.

I think two or three people died last year at a rally and that was one possible cause
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #14

Something that we try to do when we are boondocking, is to park with the rear end of our MH into the wind. That way the exhaust is blown away from the MH. There are time when we are out hunting that the weather gats a little on the cool side, so the generator is running all of the time. Our generator is in the front of our MH with the exhaust on the left side.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, rving