Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Question New to Rving, What do I do now?

Just bought a Damon Daybreak 2005 with only 4900 miles on it. New to Rving, what are the essentials that I need? What are the fun items that make the small trips and long trips enjoyable? What about gps systems, I need to purchase a back up camera system any ideas? What is the consensus about Camping World pricing, fairness, and reliability.
Any and all advise concernig any matters would be appreciated since we are new to the game.
Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club

Welcome to iRV2! Great place to meet friendly folks and get tips, advice and - opinions.

There are several GPS systems out there that appeal to RVers. Here's a link to one:

TripMaker® RVND™

Mine is a built in unit by TomTom that works well. You'll hear lots of opinions from others as to what works for them.

My thoughts about Camping World is that in a pinch, they're fine. For daily purchases, we shop elsewhere. Pricing is a bit on the high side, from our experience.

As to what makes the trip fun, that's certainly a personal choice - anything to make life a bit easier, be it kitchen appliances/tools or easy to prepare food, to "fun" stuff to enjoy when you're all set up on the road. Bring along hobby items, if you're planning on being on the road awhile.

The ubiquitous TV set provides entertainment, but if you're into solitude, that may not be of interest. We enjoy hiking and seeing parks like Mesa Verde, Arches, and Zion.

Another feature, courtesy of cell phones, is "apps". There are lots of them available pertaining to camping.

Sanidumps Lite (Dump station finder)
Gas Buddy
iExit
TV Antenna Helper
and, of course,
iRV2

Hope that helps - and again, welcome to iRV2! Enjoy (safely) your travels!

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New to RVing....

BSheehan,

One important thing when posting to this site is, give all the possible information you can, such as:

Details of RV, make, model, chassis, etc.

Where do you live?

Do you have children traveling with you, or just the two of you?

What do you like to do?

In your case, why did you join the RV lifestyle?

Details make it easier for us to give you information that would actually help you.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

Re: New to RV'ing. Six years ago we purchased a clean used DP to enjoy with our travels. Then we went crazy, we purchased new outside chairs, new tables, a $300.00 grill & propane tank. Plus most anything else that looked like it should go with a RV. Now most of our purchases ( never used) have been sold at deep discounts at our yard sales. My suggestion is to go camping and see what you need or want. Many items can be purchased during your travels or from RVers like me at local sales. Happy travels to you.

Walter 2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

I agree with the others as to the need for basic info and to take your time to make purchases for your RV. As for Camping World...you could spend yourself poor if you are not careful. Camping World is a goo one stop shop but I have found better prices at my local RV store and if you want to wait you can shop the internet.

As for GPS, I have a Garmin Dezl 560 LMT (Trucker/RV model) and I have the Rand McNally 7710. I like both and I run both at the same time but I defer to the Garmin if there is a routing conflict. The 7710 has taken me to the wrong address twice (right location but wrong address). Many Parks and priviate campgrounds have two address, mailing and physical location. The 7710 has taken me to the mailing address twice, Park Headquarters v/s campground and Post Office in town v/s the campground. Rand McNally must of outsorced the loading of the addresses to India
Old 07-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the site. Congrats on the purchase of your Damon and hope you really enjoy it. As mentioned CW is OK in a pinch but in my case that's it. I'd for sure shop around as you'll find alot of things you'll need cheaper elsewhere. Hope you have a great rving season and hope to see you down the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I'm sure you'll enjoy RVing and I agree with the above posts about Camping World and I'll give you a couple of links for Backup Cameras.

RVCams Backup Cameras and Rear View Systems: Backup Camera Systems (All) and

Backup Camera System | Vehicle Safety Products | RearViewSafety.com which I actually bought through Costco Web site for a considerably better price. Actually, to avoid installation problems I had my local RV Service Center install it. You may find it simple enough to do yourself.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #8

Welcome to iRV2.

I have no actual experience with CW, but from what I have read others have had some bad experiences with CW service on their coaches. I know that some of the CW shops here in Alabama have a very bad reputation. When you need service on your coach or chassis, you might check out the RV Service Reviews website to locate reliable and honest shops. Safe travels.
2InAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSheehan View Post
Just bought a Damon Daybreak 2005 with only 4900 miles on it. New to Rving, what are the essentials that I need? What are the fun items that make the small trips and long trips enjoyable? What about gps systems, I need to purchase a back up camera system any ideas? What is the consensus about Camping World pricing, fairness, and reliability.
Any and all advise concernig any matters would be appreciated since we are new to the game.
Thank you.
Hi Bsheehan, Welcome to the club. 7 year old coach with 4900 miles. We had looked at a 10 year old damen with 10,000 miles. We call them yard ornements.
I think others have given you good advise about Camping World. One party wrote, go camping and see what you REALLY NEED FIRST.. Lawn chairs and a fold up table will be a must. Backup camera?? I suppose they are ok, my mirrors work ok, but I am a retired cross country trucker and accustomed to my mirrors. Most of the time you will probably be pulling a car in tow. YOU CANNOT BACKUP WITH A TOW BAR OR TOW DOLLY, maybe a couple feet if you are ssitting straight. Try it without camera first. They are expensive ansd something else strung across your dash, as in wires and monitor... good travels, old trucker.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #10

Congrats, As far as stuff you need second the idea of seeing what you would need and pick it up as you go. A few basics I have found useful are; an outdoor grill is nice to cook outside and keep heat out of the camper in the summer, would suggest you get one that is just big enough for your needs. Easy to go overboard and get one that takes up more room than you really need. A carpet outside can keep the dirt from getting tracked in. I like running two GPS also, One with the main route in front of the driver and the second in front of the copilot. Gives you a back up in case of conflict or failure and if during the trip you decide to stop for something the copoiliot can fiddle with it locating the options as the driver drives.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm new to the this fun also but on the GPS I would really look for something that has lane assist. We use a Garmin nuvi 1390. Stick it to the side window and I can see it fine. Traffic and lane assist so I can see that I need to be in one of the left two lanes for the next turn. Used it in the cars before we had the coach.

tk

Edit:
I will add one other thing. If you are using an Android phone or tablet, there are apps out there now that do this. Some let you download maps so you don't have to have cell service all the time. They are not as advanced as the nuvi as far as lane assist but some are not to bad.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #12

Welcome to a great way to enjoy life. You will find RV'ers are friendly and willing to help. As you spend time in parks and campgrounds, walk around, talk to people, ask questions about what works for them and why. You will get some great ideas and meet some great people. Be careful about overdoing it all at first. Enjoy the experience !
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #13

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ditto what the others have said and want to add-
Tire- temp/ pressure is important- could save a serious blow out. Buy a tire pressure monitoring system like the TST system or any of the others.

Have fun, meet other campers and oh yeah have. Fun!
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks to all who replied earlier.
I meant to ask what folks think of about purchasing an extented warranty product. In my situation it would be a $3500.oo investment for 5yrs / 48000 throught camping World.
bad Idea / good idea?

Tags
rving