Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
New To Rv's

I am just about to retire and want to purchase a used 38' to 40' diesel pusher. Would like it to have 3 -4 slides and 80" headroom inside.

I am looking for advice as to what is the best quality unit for the money to purchase and any advise on finding what I am looking for.

I am in no hurry but I want to make the best decision before I make a purchase. I have looked at a Newmar Mountain Aire, Newmar Dutch Star and Monaco Diplomat.

Have started doing some reading...are there any book suggestions?

Advise is welcomed!

Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
There is no perfect Rv no matter what it cost. You will find different floor plans and different chassis with different HP with mostly cats or cummins. All depending or year models so it depends on how much $$$$$ you want to spend. It's good you are not in a hurry so you can take your time and shop.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Maybe take a look at a truck conversion as well. Getting into the drivers door may become more difficult as one gets older but there is alway the side coach door to enter and exit too. May as well look at all options before spending your money. Some very nice solid rigs out there.
Renegade Garage Unit
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
get familiar with:

These forums have awesome info & advice threads.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
First, I would go to Lazy Days and look at every DP they have. You have listed some nice coaches, now you need to add Tiffin, Fleetwood, Winnebago, etc. Lastly, pick the floor plan that best fits your needs. In this range, I think they are all pretty comparable. But in my opinion, the three biggest things in making your choice is floor plan, floor plan, floor plan.
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Gary1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Williamsburg,
Welcome to iRV2. While I favor Newmar coaches, floor plan sells the coach. When you (more importantly the wife) see the right floor plan all other considerations become secondary.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
There is no perfect Rv no matter what it cost. You will find different floor plans and different chassis with different HP with mostly cats or cummins. All depending or year models so it depends on how much $$$$$ you want to spend. It's good you are not in a hurry so you can take your time and shop.
Thanks for the information. Do you have an opinion on which motor is better? I lean away from a gas motor--from the reading I have done it make more sense to purchase a diesel
Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
it seems that gas is good up to 35 feet or so, and less expensive to maintain, but noisier. and the ride is typically better in the DPs.

not speaking from experience, just what i have read on the forums. we have a 29' gasser. a bit loud in the front, and a bad road (i64 around norfolk) will knock fillings out.

nice name, btw.
1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like previous post, my only experience is gas but the more info you have the better off you will be. If my budget allowed for diesel that would be my choice in a heart beat.

Ours: 39.5 ft long, Gulf Stream Sun Voyager. 3 TV's, good kitchen, king bed, and all works fine. Great "movie watching" floorplan.

The good of gas:
I understand gas and its easy and inexpensive to do a great job self maintaining the engine.
Ours is not very loud - just our luck of the draw.
Believe Ford V10's are louder than Workhorse V8s.
Gas is considerably less costly as an initial investment.
**NOTE: We are happy. Go places. Do things. And like the floorplan.
Currently, gas is 40 cents a gallon less. Buy 200 gallons - which you will -and it matters somewhat.

The bad of gas:
Harsh ride.
Poor handling - until - you add aftermarket products which solve that.
Louder - somewhat.
Hydraulic brakes
No air suspension
Generally - diesel's seem to have higher end components and ammenities.

No matte what, do check everything out first. Hot water, gen putting out correct voltage and Hz, pumps ok, etc.

Learn about tires. That is very important.

Best of luck. The good news is after your purchase you'll really enjoy it all.
John and Caren, Arkansas. 2006 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel. "Fractured Fairy tails"
johnandcaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
Lots of opinions here and at other forums. I do believe folks tend to defend what they bought, although I'm considered a Fleetwood basher around here because of my bad experiences with a Bounder. But, when I was in the market for a DP, I narrowed my choices down to Newmar and Tiffin products based on anecdotal evidence from other posters, and my own observations of product quality when looking in-depth at the various mfgr's products.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Always lots of opinions, based on the posters actual experience.

I've had a 10 yo gasser that was paid for, abnd that i'd had lond enougj to fix everything that needed fixing. I now have a 40 ft, 4 slide monaco diesel. The new bus came with 240 $700 payments....
And it is worth each and every penny, many times over.
The ride and handling are so much better. It's so quiet. It has a shower I can turn around in without any problem, and a 42" tv my kids can watch while moving down the road, while I listen to sirius nascar at the same time.

We all do what we can with what we can afford. I smile. Every time I mail off a payment.

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote